Top Gun painting

dare-to-fly

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Most assuredly! Especially when it comes to the golden years of Kings Island (pre-Paramount).

Yes. Pre Paramount sticks out in my mind more than the Paramount era. I remember climbing the stairs of the Eiffel Tower with my dad. We climbed all the way to the top. I'm not really sure if we were supposed to be on the stairs or not, but I remember climbing that whole darn thing.

Are we absolutely sure that there's no blue on Top Gun right now? For some reason, I seem to want to think that some part of it is blue.

Is that really going to be the new name of TG? It seems like little or no thought was put into that.

Thats pretty much it, its a little out of the way of the main midway. Naturally you are going to have a long line. I know I always liked walking back there to look at the airplane models along the walkway.

I remember when I was around five seeing the air planes in line. That just made the wait for Top Gun bearable. It used to take forever...maybe thats cause I was little. I was never able to walk through underneath, I was born too late. I would LOVE for CF to go against their previous record of theming and bring that and the planes back. Does anyone know what happened to them. Did they just get neglected so long that they just took them down. And why leave the job half done? Atleast take the supports down and finish the job.

On the painting TG subject, I believe that it needs new paint not only for the aesthetic purposes, but wouldn't re-painting make the ride smoother if its done right? The only thing I have to base this off is that Millenium Force seems to get less smooth every year and the only reason I can think of is its lack of paint in some places. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I all alone here?

I just really hope its not called Flight Deck why not call it it's original name, Thunder Road I believe it was. Also I like the color orange and green if its called Thunder Road, similar to the Six Flags Goliath coaster.

If Cedar Fair were to do this:

* Some would blast them for naming wooden and steel coasters the same thing. (See Thunder Road, Carowinds).

* Some would blast them for copying Six Flags' colors on Goliath at SFOG. Or did you mean Magic Mountain? Or . . . But then, Cedar Fair doesn't copy coaster names from park to park....uh, oops....

* And some would blast Cedar Fair for a lack of originality in naming rides. As if Flight Deck were highly imaginative.

I suspect the Flight Deck name was chosen as it requires very little retheming. Money is short right now. Given the economy, and peoples' attitudes, it may be much shorter during/after the coming season, at all parks, except, perhaps the destination non-seasonal parks in Florida and California.

I noticed a few things about TG this past season:

The lines for it every time I rode it were in the 45 minute range, even on a weekday.

In my opinion, by the looks of it, it has been left for dead. Could it be just because its so far off the beaten path? You really can't see it unless you're in line for it, so maybe they feel money is best spent on rides that are highly visible (Drop Zone, Vortex, etc.)

The inclusion of Club Blood's queue in TG's queue really made me wonder about TG's future.

By the way, I rode TG in its first season. Awesome theming. I really felt like I was at an airport or something. Lots of flight suits, fog, and other "Flight Deck" theming (sorry, had to do it)... :)

I noticed a few things about TG this past season:

The lines for it every time I rode it were in the 45 minute range, even on a weekday.

In my opinion, by the looks of it, it has been left for dead. Could it be just because its so far off the beaten path? You really can't see it unless you're in line for it, so maybe they feel money is best spent on rides that are highly visible (Drop Zone, Vortex, etc.)

The inclusion of Club Blood's queue in TG's queue really made me wonder about TG's future.

By the way, I rode TG in its first season. Awesome theming. I really felt like I was at an airport or something. Lots of flight suits, fog, and other "Flight Deck" theming (sorry, had to do it)... :)

Did you really mean to say 45 minutes, or given the context, 4 to 5 minutes?

Does anyone know whether or not Kings Island is planning to repaint whatever they will call Top Gun? If this is unknown...any theories as to whether they will? It was looking rather...shall we say...under the weather last season with the faded blue paint and the rust. The rust is what gets me...it actually makes it look unsafe whether or not it is. Did I ride it...of course! :rolleyes: But it still doesn't make for the greatest looks.

I truly have no idea. But if it were up to me, I would paint it to glow in the dark.

I think Top Gun would be cool if they themed the ride as aliens or UFOs. The track could be neon green and supports could be black. Maybe make the track floorless? I don't know what they would name it though. Most people don't see the ride because it's so far back and when people see it it's mostly because they're in line for SOB. Maybe if they fixed the ride up more people would come to ride it.

Unfortunately, instead of deciding what to paint and how to paint it, Cedar Fair is probably doing things like negotiating the price of drink cups, raising the temp of the A/C in the shops, and deciding which parking lot lights can be left off at night.

Yeah, I was assuming that is what he was getting at. But considering the current rides under construction at other CF parks as well as the SoB improvments and the rumored TR improvments it is apparent that even though CF wants to be cautious about their money spent, they are not exactly being cheap either.

That's is true. I guess they are saving KI's ride budget for 2009. We shall see.

But Top Gun does need repainted bad, and it should be a priority. I once read in a book, that if the ride doesn't look like it's kept up, as far as paint chipping, rusting etc... Then how are the actual moving parts of the ride kept up. (Trains, electrical systems, chain etc.)

I would like to believe that KI does a good job on keeping the rides in a safe operating manner. But you have to say it does make you think.

But Top Gun does need repainted bad, and it should be a priority. I once read in a book, that if the ride doesn't look like it's kept up, as far as paint chipping, rusting etc... Then how are the actual moving parts of the ride kept up. (Trains, electrical systems, chain etc.)

I would like to believe that KI does a good job on keeping the rides in a safe operating manner. But you have to say it does make you think.

That would be one person's opinion, and not fact.

If a ride needs to be painted or not gives zero indication on if the safety PM's (preventive maintenance) are being kept up.

That would be like saying: "Well that car needs to be painted bad, the muffler is going to fall off soon."