Defunct KI Rides

RaCeR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne
Im just wondering what happened to barvarian beetle,Flight commmander,Screamon demon,SOBs loop.What happened to them?Were they scrapped or relocated.Oh and Zodiac.Wheres it at Today?And if you can think of more please post.

zodiac went to australias wonderland in the late 80's, and when the park closed in 2004, it was shipped to malaysia I think. Not sure what became of it after that

Wizards fury? I think...it went to oz as well, and I think it was scrapped.

www.wonderlandhistory.net

Look under the video portion and there is footage of zodiac on its last day of operation.

Guest kwindshawne
As for Screamin Demon, see:

http://www.rcdb.com/id313.htm

and

http://www.rcdb.com/id314.htm

As there stated, in November 2004, after a long period of, in my humble opinion, shameful neglect caused mostly by the former owners of Camden Park, the ride was demolished.

And the paint scheme was horrible..was it my understanding the trains were never removed for maintenance once the ride arrived there?

Guest kwindshawne
^ That is a nice find.

And boy, do those pics bring back some memories. I forgot about waiting in line on those steps.

Oh, yeah. Waiting for probably two hours to get up those steps when it first opened. I guess the author had a hard drive crash and lost a bunch of pics, but at least there was this many. I wonder if the trains were bought by someone or if they got scrapped as well.

http://www.homefires.us/coaster/thunderbolt4.html

I don't remember where I got this, but it was pretty interesting...

Very cool find, that thing was in horrible condition. I believe the trains were sold to a private collector, i think it was mentioned on these forums a few years ago.

I really hope to go to Fun Spot this year on the way to Chicago and ride their coaster like this.

Was actually kinda a nice wait once you got to the steps. Could always just look out over the area and talk with the people you were with.

I have an amusing anecdote regarding Screamin' Demon that some of you might enjoy.

The years have all seemed to run together, but I'm going to say this happened in '79 maybe.

The launch mechanism was always trouble-prone and sometimes the train would not have enough speed/momentum to make it all the way up the far side. The chain dogs would keep the train from rolling back down the hill and, depending on the exact position of the train, the guests would be assisted out of the cars and allowed to walk down the steps.

But if the train was too far back on the slope it was deemed unsafe to evacuate the cars, and steel-coaster maintenance would need to manually release the chain-dogs, allowing the train to roll back down the slope where it would eventually come to a stop at the bottom of the loop. The train would then be evacuated safely.

That scenario unfolded one day and I was a close-up witness of it.

I should note here that the situation I just described was not uncommon and, although it did not occur every day, it occurred often enough that anyone working on the Demon was thuroughly familiar with the procedure.

Anyway, to get back to the story... on this particular day the train, when released, travelled backward down the slope, and up the loop far enough to strike a perfect balance at the top of the loop. It remained motionless at the top of the loop, upside down, full of guests... and things started falling into the water below... sunglasses, purses, hats, and anything else that was loose...

Although it seemed much longer at the time, it only hung there for about a minute or so before the squirming of the guests finally unbalanced the train, sending it back down to the bottom of the loop where it gradually came to rest.

Thankfully, no one was injured during this incident so I don't feel too out-of-line calling it "humorous".

and

As there stated, in November 2004, after a long period of, in my humble opinion, shameful neglect caused mostly by the former owners of Camden Park, the ride was demolished.

Oh, that's just terrible! That was a fun ride! You are saying that they just let it go to @$#*??????????? That sucks!

KI should have kept The Screamin Demon. Maybe they should have had an "old time ride area" then if they thought they had to scrap a ride, they could stick it in that area. I think they would be surprised as to how many people would hang out in the "old rides" area. The Zodiac, Screamin Demon, Bavarian Beetle, flying eagles, der spinnin' keggers, the flying Dutchman, Ferris Wheel, Les Taxis, and the Animal Safari. The "Old Ride Area" that is what they should have done. It might sound goofy, but that's what I wish they had done. I am just running on. I just miss those rides. Awwwww......................

I don't like rides to be demolished. Sad.

I agree, it is shameful that Screamin Demon was treated poorly.

Guest kwindshawne
http://www.homefires.us/coaster/thunderbolt4.html

I don't remember where I got this, but it was pretty interesting...

Very cool find, that thing was in horrible condition. I believe the trains were sold to a private collector, i think it was mentioned on these forums a few years ago.

I really hope to go to Fun Spot this year on the way to Chicago and ride their coaster like this.

I was heartbroken when I saw the shape it was in.

and

Oh, that's just terrible! That was a fun ride! You are saying that they just let it go to @$#*??????????? That sucks!

KI should have kept The Screamin Demon. Maybe they should have had an "old time ride area" then if they thought they had to scrap a ride, they could stick it in that area. I think they would be surprised as to how many people would hang out in the "old rides" area. The Zodiac, Screamin Demon, Bavarian Beetle, flying eagles, der spinnin' keggers, the flying Dutchman, Ferris Wheel, Les Taxis, and the Animal Safari. The "Old Ride Area" that is what they should have done. It might sound goofy, but that's what I wish they had done. I am just running on. I just miss those rides. Awwwww......................

I don't like rides to be demolished. Sad.

I agree, it is shameful that Screamin Demon was treated poorly.

I totally agree with you. They should of had an old ride area. That would be awesome. Lets also add The Bat, The witches cauldrons, and The Smurfs enchanted Voyage. They did take out some great rides. They added some great ones too, but I also greatly miss the old ones, including how the train ride use to be. Change sometimes SUCKS! Also how about the old time shops in River town? Everything is now food stops and games. Come on KI, put back some of the OLD!!!!! :angry:

Very true indeed. However, even Coney has changed since the end of that fateful 1971 season. The park that was all but left for dead after Taft built Kings Island is still around, and thriving. True, it is a mere shadow of its former self, but it is still entertaining generations of families with its rides and attractions. After all, "Coney has it."

I must say that I prefer Tumble Bug to what is at that location now....... I can also say that about Zodiac and the Eagles...... But NOT the canoe ride....... :)

I couldn't agree more!

I wasn't born yet for the canoe ride, but I remember the rest.

By the way, I know of course everybody loves The Beast. They chose a wonderful spot to build it on but, when the canoe ride was there....what did you really do except paddle around? Not to sound rude but they called that a ride?

Was it there from 72-75?

Guest kwindshawne
The Canoe Ride was removed at the end of the 1977 season, so it was there from 1972-1977. As for what you did on it, what do people do on pedal boats? You paddle (or pedal), you talk, you have quiet time. It was a nice ride.

I enjoyed it personally. Being into nature I have some great family time memories of it. The highlight though was last summer-seeing a deer on The Beast. That was a thrill.