Defunct KI Rides

RaCeR

The Canoe Ride was removed at the end of the 1977 season, so it was there from 1972-1977. As for what you did on it, what do people do on pedal boats? You paddle (or pedal), you talk, you have quiet time. It was a nice ride.

I enjoyed it personally. Being into nature I have some great family time memories of it. The highlight though was last summer-seeing a deer on The Beast. That was a thrill.

I saw a possum in line for The Beast this year. A deer would have been wonderful...... A bunch of teenage girls were screaming "look at the size of that rat!!!" It was just a possum that wandered out of the woods....It was entertaining..... I have also wondered if anyone else knew that there was a groundhog living under the spot where Vortex enters the station at the end? We saw it several times when the park wasn't crowded.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne
The Canoe Ride was removed at the end of the 1977 season, so it was there from 1972-1977. As for what you did on it, what do people do on pedal boats? You paddle (or pedal), you talk, you have quiet time. It was a nice ride.

I enjoyed it personally. Being into nature I have some great family time memories of it. The highlight though was last summer-seeing a deer on The Beast. That was a thrill.

I saw a possum in line for The Beast this year. A deer would have been wonderful...... A bunch of teenage girls were screaming "look at the size of that rat!!!" It was just a possum that wandered out of the woods....It was entertaining..... I have also wondered if anyone else knew that there was a groundhog living under the spot where Vortex enters the station at the end? We saw it several times when the park wasn't crowded.

The deer wasn't concerned about us flying by...I dont mind possums, although I was having a nap in front of the theatre during haunt, and some girl commented loudly about one-nasty thing was right beside me...let me tell ya, i woke up in a hurry..yuk!!!

What was that? A skunk? I'm sure they are around there but I've never seen one, thank god...... To me the only animals that bother me at KI are the wasps that were all over the tops of the rides at the end of the year. CF, I must say, did a very good job of keeping the garbage cans clean so there weren't yellow jackets all over them during the late summer like there were when Paramount ran the park........

Guest kwindshawne
What was that? A skunk? I'm sure they are around there but I've never seen one, thank god...... To me the only animals that bother me at KI are the wasps that were all over the tops of the rides at the end of the year. CF, I must say, did a very good job of keeping the garbage cans clean so there weren't yellow jackets all over them during the late summer like there were when Paramount ran the park........

I saw a skunk in the grassy area under Eiffel Tower last year..I smelled it before I saw it..they are thick around there...I dont know which is worse, skunk or possum..but the deer can take over for all I care

I saw a possum in line for The Beast this year. . . .

a. At least the possum didn't cut line.

b. Even possums line up for The Beast.

c. The possum was so scared, its tail was up over its back!

d. And a woman in line was heard to say to no one in particular: "Quit playing possum!"

Terpy, he'll be here all week, folks!

Several years back, after riding Drop Zone, the operators would not unlock our restraints, because a skunk had wandered into the ride area during the course of the ride cycle. They were afraid that everyone getting off would cause it to spray. Luckily, it ducked under the fence by Skyflyer after thirty seconds or so.

And at Coney, we have had more then a few close encounters of the skunk time. Numerous times a skunk has found its way into the womens restroom over by the picnic groves. And one morning when an operator was doing the morning test runs on the Scrambler, there happened to be a skunk in one of the cars, that must not have liked the ride, because he sprayed it. That area of the park smelled like skunk several weeks after that incident.

Well I have thought for years they need to add a new section to KI, "Lost Coney". This could include old rides brought back. A Tumble Bug, Whip, Flying Shoes (Dutchman), and how about building the plans from the Shooting Star. How about the Barrels (my friend could make anyone sick on these). And a version of the Lost River. I used to think this ride had a vertical drop as a kid. I really think this could draw a lot more families to a park with an area like this. Well I guess for now to enjoy this we just continue our trips up to Kennywood. Hey, while at it, why not build another Noah's Ark?

i've never thought of this but whats to keep an animal from climbing onto the tracks.... and say what would happen if a train zero'd in on one..... just think of meeting up with a medium sized deer in one of The Beasts tunnels... that'll put some hair on your chest.

lol, that would be something! But if the train derailed that would be a mess. It would be a mess anyways! lol :lol:

i've never thought of this but whats to keep an animal from climbing onto the tracks.... and say what would happen if a train zero'd in on one..... just think of meeting up with a medium sized deer in one of The Beasts tunnels... that'll put some hair on your chest.

Rides like The Beast have fencing along its underground tunnels that should keep an animal like a deer from entering the tunnel as well as deer whistles mounted to the front of each train.

Guest kwindshawne

Especially during rut....I have been able to approach wild deer before.....but the thought of beast hitting one does cross my mind a lot.

Was actually kinda a nice wait once you got to the steps. Could always just look out over the area and talk with the people you were with.

I have an amusing anecdote regarding Screamin' Demon that some of you might enjoy.

The years have all seemed to run together, but I'm going to say this happened in '79 maybe.

The launch mechanism was always trouble-prone and sometimes the train would not have enough speed/momentum to make it all the way up the far side. The chain dogs would keep the train from rolling back down the hill and, depending on the exact position of the train, the guests would be assisted out of the cars and allowed to walk down the steps.

But if the train was too far back on the slope it was deemed unsafe to evacuate the cars, and steel-coaster maintenance would need to manually release the chain-dogs, allowing the train to roll back down the slope where it would eventually come to a stop at the bottom of the loop. The train would then be evacuated safely.

That scenario unfolded one day and I was a close-up witness of it.

I should note here that the situation I just described was not uncommon and, although it did not occur every day, it occurred often enough that anyone working on the Demon was thuroughly familiar with the procedure.

Anyway, to get back to the story... on this particular day the train, when released, travelled backward down the slope, and up the loop far enough to strike a perfect balance at the top of the loop. It remained motionless at the top of the loop, upside down, full of guests... and things started falling into the water below... sunglasses, purses, hats, and anything else that was loose...

Although it seemed much longer at the time, it only hung there for about a minute or so before the squirming of the guests finally unbalanced the train, sending it back down to the bottom of the loop where it gradually came to rest.

Thankfully, no one was injured during this incident so I don't feel too out-of-line calling it "humorous".

Wow, I didn't know that the Screamin Demon had that problem.

I wonder if that's why people claimed that it got stuck and people fell out?

I would have been really mad to have my purse and sunglasses fall into that water! Yuk.

:P

d. And a woman in line was heard to say to no one in particular: "Quit playing possum!"

LOL! :lol: Oh, my stomach hurts! LOL!

LOL! :lol: Oh, my stomach hurts! LOL!

Isn't 'possum' spelt something like oppossum?

It would be funny seing a oppposum on The Beast, image what it's on-ride-photo would look like...

I was laughing about the furry friend in line for The Beast when I remembered my own encounter about ten years ago in line for The Beast.

As my friend and I waited in line I saw a beaver snarfing around the part of The Beast where it leaves the station and it goes around the track to climb the hill.......

I thought, that's odd the water isn't here anymore.....what's he/she doing around here?

I told my sister about it and she said "I think I would feel a bit uncomfortable knowing a freakin beaver was hanging around a wooden roller coaster!"

I laughed so hard I dropped the phone.

It is funny seeing furry coaster lovers, and I don't mean beard sporting patrons either.

I know this is a silly story, but it is true and the opossum or possum story made me remember it.

I love seeing furry four legged creatures at KI. It really and truly makes me miss the Safari that much more.

Yes, possum is spelled opossum by those who are fussy.

Those same people spell baloney as bologna! And argue about catsup, ketchup, katsup...

Uhhh, I've never seen bologna spelled any other way.

Generation after Generation grew up with the Oscar Meyer commercials.

Most kids could spell Oscar Meyer Bologna before they could spell their own name.