Hard Rock - news not so good

Heard from a couple friends and former KI co-workers that HRP is averaging about 3000 to 5000 guests a day, not near the 30,000 they had projected. And now it is rumored that HRP is already in financial troubles and may soon file for protection. I have no links to back any of this up, I am scouring through Myrtle Beach news websites to see if any of this can be sustantiated. Anyone else heard about this???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn, you beat me to it. I think it is bad timing plus lack of attractions that are causing the Hard Rock Hard Times, due to the sexual nature of the park, my baby's mama refuses to let me go even with supervision...

Roller "Never imagined I wouldn't be allowed to visit a theme park for that reason." Nut

I think that there are a lot of factors swirling around here

1) Myrtle Beach is still the place for the family traveling on a budget

2) Money is likely a little tighter for those families traveling due to high gas prices, increase in food, etc...

3) The hotels may not be as full as they usually are this year.

4) Hard Rock isn't cheap.

The economy hasn't been any park's friend this year, and a new park that hasn't found it's place yet is going to have the same problems. Myrtle Beach brings in millions of tourists a year, so the potential is there for some huge numbers. I think that the price point was too high when the park opened, and I've also heard tell that food/gifts are spendy too. While MB has been working hard to bring more affluent tourists to the area, the fact remains that most of the families traveling there are still blue collar, lower to middle class families with a limited budget. Not that any of those monikers are bad, but when tickets are 50 bucks a piece, a family of 5 can make for an expensive day.

I come from such a background, and I can say this. These families come to Myrtle Beach to go to the beach and go out to eat. Sometimes they go out to shop and play putt-putt, but for some reason, going out to eat is some kind of unconscious, ingrained vacation activity. Hard Rock isn't in competition with other parks, it's in competition with hundreds of low cost family activities that are scattered around the town. I know that the park is new and they've spent a lot of money building it, but people are looking for a bargain right now, and unfortunately, it doesn't seem that a bargain can be found at Hard Rock at this time. I know that they have shifted pricing a little bit, but it looks like there are still some things to be worked out. Getting aggressive with hotel room/condo packages, heavily marketing special holiday events, coupons for goods inside the park, attracting company events, and getting that "spending per guest" number up is key. I also think that a well planned concert series with the right bands would go a long way. If you ask me, I think the customer base is not a family with lots of young kids, it's the family with teenagers, adults age 20 to 45, couples, and older folks that are young at heart. Becoming a real nightlife hub may be a good thing...kind of like the Universal Citywalk or Downtown Disney in Orlando.

The Hard Rock Park experience is probably a good one, but it's one that people either don't know about, or are willing to cut from their to do list because of the cost at this time. Attract the right customers, and give the customers a bargain, or at least an implied one, and they will come.

^^Wow!! I love the short reply!! (I stopped reading after the 1st hundred paragraphs or so)

But anyway, maybe you touched on this, but a MB local posted on another forum that the location also sucks.

I haven't been to MB in a few years (usually driving down from Wilmington, NC where a friend lived), but it turns out what I thought was "MB" was actually more like North MB, and apparently HRP is downtown which is south of South MB and kind of off the beaten path and sort of in a bad area too?? (plus has bad height restrictions due to the nearby airport and why LZ is so short)

I dunno...I'm still hoping to make it down there this fall, assuming they're still around by then!! ;)

Like I said on a previous thread about HRP.

What follows is a breakdown of HRP failed success and the fact they had to dig out of a hole from day 1. Its long but will answer any and all questions as to why they are not succeeding.

The park is located almost downtown, which is a dead area that local MB govt and the chamber are trying to revive and bring back to its former glory. Downtown used to be the hot spot, but as the area expanded attractions moved North. Restraunt Row is on North Kings Hwy, Barefoot landing was the first big outdoor shoping center and it opened in North Myrtle Beach, the Carolina Opry relocated from Surfside (south of Downtown) to North and the Dixie Stampedee went in next to the new Carolina Opry. Also the Alabama Theater opened next to Barefoot. So North MB became the dinning, shopping and entertainment destination in the MB area.

So why stay downtown and drive 20 minutes in good trafic North? Why not just stay North?

So as crowds began to migrate North, the downtown began to die. Resorts had too many beds open and their age began to show. The main attraction downtown was the Pavillion Amusement Park, which could no longer keep its doors open. Combination low attendance and drawing a less than desireable crowd spelled doom. The Pavillion closed, resorts were and are rundown and the main crowd that is drawn downtown is not family friendly and how many discount beach stores are really needed.

There were some new attractions that built downtown or near it. All failed. For example HRP sits on the former Fantasy Harbor site. Basically entertainment theaters, outlest stores and Wacamaw pottery. The theaters didnt draw and the best store was the QVC outlet... Medevel Times was the only attraction to survive and HRP came in and started building the park.

The park is in a horrible location. Most familes stay North and now with the Conway cutoff to NMB there is no need to go to downtown or drive by HRP on your way in. So now the park must rely on its add campaign to pull tourists, because few actually see the park or the skyline. The park must also compete with the Beach, well established shows (Carolina Opry, Dixiee Stampedee, Legends, Alabama Theater, The Palace) which are not cheap, Outdoor shopping (Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot Landing) and of course the rows and rows of dinning options(Benjamins Calabash aint cheap).

The crowds at MB spend the day in sun and water and night time is for entertainment. Pretty evident in the lack of attendance. The price is to high, no starlight admission, horrible location, and lack of attraction. Have killed the park.

Seriously wonder if any economic study was done or if any market research. Because these are obvious flaws from start to finish and hole that HRP had from day 1.

Good luck to HRP but I am not positive on the parks outlook.

So, downtown Myrtle is no longer happenin'? My, how times have changed. I guess I'll know from here on out to stay in North Myrtle.

I would like to see HRP make it. However, with that kind of gate price, no one is going to come beating down their doors.

So, downtown Myrtle is no longer happenin'? My, how times have changed. I guess I'll know from here on out to stay in North Myrtle.

I would like to see HRP make it. However, with that kind of gate price, no one is going to come beating down their doors.

Yes downtown is not what it use to be. Especially if you are looking for the family crowd. North Myrtle is the place to stay, better resorts and newer hotels make for a much better stay. Tried downtown again last year and the highly touted Crown Reef. Walked out when we got to our room and headed North to the Beach Cove. The place was an absolute mess, disgusting to be honest. From what I hear from locals that is the norm Downtown.

Its too hard to start a new amusment park now with so many developed parks all ready.

Islands of Adventure was pretty successful with it.

In the most competitive market in the country, no less. Aquatica opened in March and people are FLOODING in! In fact the Park closes at capacity almost daily within an hour or so after they open! So developing a new Park and having it be successful certainly isn't out of the question. I just don't what understand what possessed them to build in Myrtle Beach and I've said that since Day 1 of them announcing the Park. I used to vacation with the family at Myrtle Beach every year. When I returned a few years ago, after not visiting for about 10 years, I was astonished and how much it had changed for the worse. I think that the concept behind the Park is a good one and it seems like it's very detailed and well thought out. Perhaps if they had tried it out in a proven market they would been more successful.

- Todd

I wouldnt say people dont care how much they spend in Orlando, but they usually make a choice either spend most of their time at Disney or visit the other parks.

Myrtle Beach draws enough visitors to support a park, but not the type thats looking to spend all day at a park. I would say MB visitors are pretty generous with their money like Orlando. By no means is it cheap to visit MB or the area. The visitors are repeats year after year and they already have an idea of where they will spend their money, plus the more afluent visitors stay North, which is farther away from HRP. Theres no need to go downtown and yes it has changed for the worse downtown, but up North it is very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. An article about the Grand Strand squeezing through the summer. Does it even mention Hard Rock Park? Nope. Would an article about the tourism economy in Cinci not even mention Kings Island? Would an article about the tourism economy even in Covington not mention Kings Island? This speaks volumes. Not even top of mind...

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/loca...ory/577196.html

I am hearing more and more rumbling that when the place opened, they didn't even extend a discount the local hospitality employees. The workers at motels, hotels and restaurants can steer business your way...or not. And they have friends, lots of them, in your target market. The company at the time said simply, "We don't do that." Now they are, but it may well be too little, too late. There were a lot of things they didn't do. They knew they were going to be a smashing success....and when it wasn't, their iron clad pricing integrity went out the window, but in a very small way.

This just in:

...The Company [Africa Israel Investments (TASE: AFIL)] wrote off its $10 million investment in Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA due to liquidity difficulties the park is experiencing....

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/Handelssignale/1...nancial+Results

This is NOT good news. This company now considers its investment in Hard Rock Park to be worthless....

Of course, this is not only bad news for HRP (which I maintain really is a nice park...I had a great day there!) but also for every other wanna-be park developer out there right now that's trying to finance their project. For a long time now, HRP was the only real viable new park construction project...if (when?) that one fails, what does it say about the future of all other potential U.S. park developments? (That question was rhetorical, btw... ;) )

That is something that is entirely possible. At my last place of work, we had discussed disabling systems on several occasions due to non payment. We never did it due to the moral questions it raised. The farthest we went was to stop servicing and supporting them.

The question is, if the code was locked or erased, why hasnt HRP just downloaded their backup and disconnected the RSS connection?

Just got back from Myrtle Beach. I was tempted to visit HRP, but after the rumors about the closed Premier Rides I was even more skeptical about visiting and if the price of admission was really worth it. I actually drove by the parking lot on Saturday 8/30 and I was amazed at the lack of crowd especially on a holiday weekend. I determined that HRP was not worth the visit for only a few attractions opperating and with the high gate.

Glad I saved my money because we had a tire blow on our Edge on the WV Turnpike on the way home. The cost of the New tire equalled what it would have cost my wife and I for gate admission and parking.

Impressive note about the Ford Edge. Traveling the WV Turnpike at 70mph, we struck an object in the road that immediately blew the passenger side rear tire. Instantaneously flat. The vehicle did not loose a bit of control or even wobble when the tire blew at such high speeds. This includes the added weight of a full cargo area and a cargo carrier attached to the roof rack. Very impressed with the safety performance of the vehicle and Ford will be receiving a letter from me. Just one more reasson I love my Edge