Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Beast1979, how do you for a fact know that the roof and all the wiring for the station is done? While it looks like the roof may be done from the webcam, I highly doubt that the roof is completed, and I certainly doubt that they have finished all the wiring in the station and for the ride. Be careful about speaking on subjects of which you have limited knowledge!

And, at most parks the area where the main control panel sits is called the drive box.

Beast 1979, I can't resist. After operating MANY coasters at many parks, it is not called an "Operators table." Its just called a Control Panel. The other operators on the platforms have "Dispatch Enables." Just thought I'd tell you! :)

Oops, Yea Why did I say that?

Beast1979, how do you for a fact know that the roof and all the wiring for the station is done? While it looks like the roof may be done from the webcam, I highly doubt that the roof is completed, and I certainly doubt that they have finished all the wiring in the station and for the ride. Be careful about speaking on subjects of which you have limited knowledge!

I thought that they were working on wiring when the blue tarp was on it.

Yes, but to say that they are finishing the wiring implies that they are almost finished with the wiring. I`d venture to say that they still have a lot of wiring work to do on the station and the ride control system. It would have been more appropriate to say work continues on the station, including wiring, roofing, and miscellaneous items.

And, at most parks the area where the main control panel sits is called the drive box.

Just a technicality and I feel like being 'that guy' (lol!) but at Cedar Point the 'drive box' is simply called 'controls'. I actually found it odd to hear the term 'drive box' at KI. I had never heard it called that until KI. Like I said, it's not an issue or anything, just felt like pointing out a semi-interesting fact. :D

Well, there is a distinct difference between constructing a coaster and performing maintenance on it. Steel coasters, once they are built are relatively done being 'constructed' until they are removed from the park. Wooden coasters, however, are always subject to being reworked and retracked every season to reinforce parts of the ride and make slight modifications to make the ride better and more enjoyable. Those types of modifications rarely happen on steel coasters, but they do sometimes happen, like with Phantom`s Revenge having most of the old Arrow track replaced this winter with Morgan track.

Well, there is a distinct difference between constructing a coaster and performing maintenance on it. Steel coasters, once they are built are relatively done being 'constructed' until they are removed from the park. Wooden coasters, however, are always subject to being reworked and retracked every season to reinforce parts of the ride and make slight modifications to make the ride better and more enjoyable. Those types of modifications rarely happen on steel coasters, but they do sometimes happen, like with Phantom`s Revenge having most of the old Arrow track replaced this winter with Morgan track.

From what I've learned over the years on this site, many parts of a coaster are re-worked or replaced during its life span.

I noticed that you were pretty quick to ask Beast1979 how he knew that all the wiring was done.

Merriam-Webster defines construct as: to make or form by combining or arranging parts or elements.

By that definition, I don't think that Diamondback's 'construction' is really ever completely done. The lift hill appears to be 'finished', but that doesn't mean its parts or elements will never be re'arranged'.

The line between done and not done can be a little blurry, especially given the fact that we're all watching the majority of Diamondback's construction from a remote webcam feed.

For all intents and purposes the ride is considered done and complete when the Ohio Department of Agriculture`s Rides Safety Division certifies that the ride is suitable to be open to the general public. As it moves closer to April, things will be checked off of the list of things to do.

But to be saying that the wiring for the station is almost done is just absurd, just basing it on the image from the webcam. Heck, even if you were standing on the midway looking at the station in person, you would likely not be able to tell how close they are to completing all the electrical work for the ride.

Well that sucks, I am sure though the Firehawk line will take a big hit this year since its no longer the newest ride in the park so you could make stops at the fans if you wanted to!

i dought that, mainly because almost everyone in the park will most likely be thinking the same thing.

quick question, when they do the pull through on Diamondback with the wooden cart, do they really have to pull it around the whole track, or just in the spots where it looks like it might be possible for a rider to touch a support?

Well I do remember with Maverick they did a pull through on pretty much the entire ride. But then again Maverick is a fairly compact coaster with close encounters with other portions of its track. I would imagine they will do a pull through on the entire length of Diamondback. Only time or Don can say. :rolleyes: