What are your opening day plans?

DropZone99

They're expecting an opening day "hangover".

They're changing the name AGIAN?!....Sorry, I just found that too coincidental to pass up.

If I'm not working, I'll try to head down for the day, maybe bringing my friend who has yet to ride the good stuff in Nick U., BLSC and Firehawk, not to mention Diamondback (I would be content with those and a night Beast ride for a day). But I won't know if I'm working until that Friday. Cutting it close...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isnt the park opened on the following sunday the 19th?

A park buyout. Read: A private group has in effect rented the park, and guaranteed the park revenue for the day, in exchange for exclusive use of the facilities.

Wow - would be nice to be part of that private group with DB opening this year.

I went during P&G's buyout day several years ago with a friend. Considering the companies that are big enough to buyout the park invite all their employees and usually a close to unlimited number of guests, the park will be pretty much just as crowded as a normal early-season Sunday in the park. I didn't even realize that P&G had the park to themselves until later in the day when we went to the picnic grove and they weren't checking tickets to get into it, since everyone in the park was with the group using it.

To return to the topic at hand, I learned last night that my ride buddy for the day has never once ridden Drop Tower, so that will be a high priority. So now the plans include: 2 rides on Diamondback (one in front seat, one in back seat), a ride on Xtreme Skyflyer, and a ride on Drop Tower.

To my knowledge, P&G has never had a picnic in the picnic grove for their days in September. I have gone to nearly every P&G day since the early 90`s as my Dad works for P&G. It is hard to miss that it is P&G day with all the inflatables advertising P&G products, and all the tents on International Street (particularly by the Eiffel Tower) giving away samples of P&G products.

I actually missed P&G day at Kings Island this past year, as I was out of town. Instead, I was at Walt Disney World. So not only did I miss P&G day this year, I was in Florida and missed the hurricane in Cincinnati!

^I was working at the park that day when they closed it down early. I was sent to West Pie in Nick U and at Jimmy Neutrons Atom Smashers after just being trained there a little while before. I was also alone at that ride and I get a phone call to close down the ride.... Yeah I really didn't know how to do that so I had to tell everyone to get off and try my best to "close down" the ride. We were told to turn in our paper work and "Get Out". We were all joking around that we would see a Mr. Clean or the other blow ups flying across the park. :lol:

I still don't know what my plans are yet for opening day. Our division training for Admissions is on Saturday so I'm guessing we will get schedules then? I hope I get to ride DB at least once on Saturday!

To my knowledge, P&G has never had a picnic in the picnic grove for their days in September. I have gone to nearly every P&G day since the early 90`s as my Dad works for P&G. It is hard to miss that it is P&G day with all the inflatables advertising P&G products, and all the tents on International Street (particularly by the Eiffel Tower) giving away samples of P&G products.

I actually missed P&G day at Kings Island this past year, as I was out of town. Instead, I was at Walt Disney World. So not only did I miss P&G day this year, I was in Florida and missed the hurricane in Cincinnati!

I could have sworn they had the picnic grove open. This would have been in like 2000 or 2001 or so. I do remember there being a lot of P&G advertising stuff but I thought nothing of it at the time.

I know I've been there at least once where the picnic grove was open to everyone that was in the park. I may be remembering two different days though.

Well, I have never been to the picnic grove on P&G day. That being said, I don`t know if it was open or not. I do know that they didn`t have any food service in there though. I have been going to P&G day since at least 1994. I remember seeing the Nickelodeon "splat" bubbling up from the broken pavement proclaiming the arrival of Splat City in 1995.

I'm planning on being one of the first riders on Diamondback. Although my bid just slipped past the 100th spot on the bid board..... I might have to up the ante a little bit in the coming weeks...

I plan on getting my platinum pass processed one of the early processing days, so I can get there extremely early and get to Diamondback. I plan on getting to it first and taking advantage of the shorter ride lines elsewhere in the park.

Same almost, but you won't be getting on until later on unless you have a winning bid.

I plan to get to the park early and get right in line for DB. I don't care how long the line is or if there are mechanical issues-I'm not budging from the DB queue area until I have my first ride.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Lines schmines, mechanical problems schmechanical problems, I don't care. I will be riding Diamondback on opening day.

However, if I witness anyone jumping in line in front of me and you are within a short distance of me, I suggest you plug your ears. ;)

I'm with you, as long as I get one ride in on opening day, I'll be fine.

For the first time ever, I plan on spending opening day at Kings Island...at Kings Island! My sister-in-law has really expressed some interest in it and I told her if she makes the sandwiches :lol: then I'll take her and my brother and we'll all go. My brother and I have passes and we're going to try to make it there sometime before opening day to avoid further delay of getting into the park/long lines for processing that day. I've never even been to the park in April and have only been once in May, so this is going to be a different experience.

I'm not really big on rushing straight to Diamondback, though. (Call me a non-conformist.) Now, I will say that I might go over there and watch the inagural running of the ride, just to say that I saw it, but as far as actually riding it I think I will hold off. (Especially since I'm planning on attending Ride Warriors Weekend where I'll be able to ride it without having to wait in a big huge line.) To me, I think it would be just as cool to see the first running of it and not ride it than to ride it the very first day it's open and not see the first running of it.

So, Diamondback is certainly on my radar. But opening day I'm going to try to relax and walk around and see all the changes and visit some of the shops and get on some of my favorite rides early while everyone else flocks to Diamondback.

My opening day plans are as follows....1. arrive early with my best friend and cousin just to wait. Don't know what time yet but figuring sometime between 7:30 and 8:30....2. Running straight to Diamondback at the drop of the rope and ROTB.  3. After Diamondback, ride The Beast, Vortex, and Flight of Fear. 4. Another ride on The Beast.....5. If enough time is left, another ride on Diamondback...

^Wow, that crowd is CRAZY! I don't know if you remember, but, was that at 10 am when the park opened, or was it earlier. Also, how was the crowd about an hour before the park opened. If anyone remembers, thanks in advance. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the park might be like on April 18.

I'm sure they will walk the large mass crowd to Diamondback much like they did early in the season in 2007 for Firehawk.

Anyone remember this?

There's more than one way to Diamondback. Unless they block off the alternate route... or if they have one group going one way and one going another. And another thing about that picture...is there a topic about that tall security guard? I think I've seen him every time I've went to the park in the past couple of years. (He's pretty hard to forget.) Everyone knows that Eiffel Tower at Kings Island is 1/3 the size of the one in Paris. This dude's like 1/3 of the size of the Eiffel Tower at Kings Island! :o

I've been thinking, and saying, that I would at least like to be there for Diamondback's very first run, even though I might not end up riding it that day. Is the first run going to be right before the park opens to the public or right after? The question then remains where would be a good place to see it. I've actually been thinking that it'd be cool to see it from the top of the Eiffel Tower. Should have a great view of it from there I would think.

Here's something else to consider: If your opening day plans don't include a ride on Diamondback, this is a golden opprotunity for those of you who want the first ride of the season on one of your favorite other rides. This is provided, of course, that you get there right when the gates open. Now, this probably won't work if you want to watch Diamondback's first run, like I do, but it's just a fun suggestion. I think it'd be pretty cool if I could sneak in a ride on The Beast before Diamondback makes its first run. That area's going to be awfully crowded, though. And I don't think I have enough time to walk to The Beast, get on Eiffel Tower, and see Diamondback's first run. One of those two pre-Diamondback viewing things might have to be cut from the itenerary.

ps. It's Flight Decks Sweet Sixteenth

Me too, how ironic.

I'm sure they will walk the large mass crowd to Diamondback much like they did early in the season in 2007 for Firehawk.

Anyone remember this?

kimay28th2007009.jpg

The weird thing was, they DIDN'T do that for Firehawk's opening day. I specifically remember running in a rather large stampede to get to Firehawk on it's opening day, and come to find out that it is broken down. Then after waiting 4-5 hours I was on the 4th train out on Firehawk, it was pretty exciting! However now, I don't even ride Firehawk, because it's too boring and short of a ride, and the loading time sucks on it. So why wait in line? The stampede to Firehawk was fun, yet dangerous, I even remember a few people who were running near me, tripping and falling down. :lol:

Anyways, on Opening Day 2009, I will be there early in the morning to be one of the first non-auction winner riders. I am trying to get a KIC group together, so we can all wait in line for Diamondback together, and just have a good time! (See "Diamondback Opening Day meet up" thread in Kings Island subtopic)

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16866

Here are what I think my plans for Opening Day are: I'm going to be there early (don't know just when yet) with my brother. I'll be riding Diamondback with him. However, I'm going to have a either a gray or white shirt made that will have these words (most likely in black letters) as follows on both sides:

KICentral

TOM76257

I'm 6'3" tall and VERY lanky. If anyone sees me, I'd love to meet you and shake your hand!

Anyways, after that I'll try to at least catch rides on The Beast, Son of Beast, The Racer and Firehawk (not necessarily in that order) before I have to leave at 5:00 PM.

I'll most likely be hanging out with Kjkjkj and anyone else from KIC who decides to meet up there for the vast majority of the day. I highly doubt that there'll be a short wait time for Diamondback even though we'll all be there at around 8AM, so we'll probably end up waiting in line together. And if not, i've downloaded a few movies that i've never seen and put them on my iPod so even if i'm in line alone i'll have something to keep me occupied so I don't get into trouble...

But after that first ride on Diamondback (Hopefully with my "First Rider" shirt in-hand) i'll be spending the rest of my day as a typical day at Kings Island. I'll be coming home and reading the mass amounts of trip reports that will inevitably flood KIC's forums :) And I have to buy a new camera so I can add my own to the mix...