How often do Evacs happen on rollercoasters?

jondrewfoo

I hope this doesnt turn into a oh no coasters are unsafe type thread, but i would really like to know how many times they actually have to evac people down the lift hill, or from a brake run. I saw my first evac on Firehawk today, they had been up there for around and hour sent a maintenance team up and sent them down the lift hill row by row it was pretty neat.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very, very rare. I've only been stuck on a coaster once, on The Beast in the late 90s, I believe in 1997. We were stuck in the final pre-station brakes for about an hour and a half. I've gotten a 'station evac' three times, where the coaster broke down and they had to release the seats manually while the train I was on was in the station either returning from a ride or waiting to be dispatched, two of which were this year (Raptor and Volcano), and the rest of the trains were evacuated from where they were at the time of the breakdown. On Volcano, the other train was in the unload station (it's like FOF), and on Raptor, one train was on pre-station brakes, and one was on the MCBR.

That's why I put it in quotes. ;) The only thing exciting about it is that they had to manually release the restraints. Which was intriguingly difficult on Volcano. It involved a large power cord and a mobile generator. Took them about 15 minutes after getting maintenance on site to have us out.

On hill lifts,the chain on some coasters are known to slip off the spoke wheel.I think the chain lifts seem much better now then they where say 30 years ago.

A funny note.The climb to the top of the worlds tallest woody scared to heck out of me but i over came that only after the thought of climbing down that hill entered my mind.

I know as of last night, they had it back up. When I was on DB at about 10:30, they were sending the trains through test runs.

On hill lifts,the chain on some coasters are known to slip off the spoke wheel.I think the chain lifts seem much better now then they where say 30 years ago.

A funny note.The climb to the top of the worlds tallest woody scared to heck out of me but i over came that only after the thought of climbing down that hill entered my mind.

It actually is not that bad. SoB is the only coaster i have ever had to be evucated from. I can't remember if it was early last year, or late 2007, but it was pretty darn cool.

Depends on the coaster, for instance Space Mountain @ MK. I was personally evaced off of the ride one night, and as the CM who was assigned to us checked in on us and waited for the ok to evac he said that because of SM's old computers any time the ride is e-stopped for any reason they must evac the ride before restarting. I dont know if its true or not, but thats what he said.

Also, being evaced off of SM is not the easiest thing in the world, most of the blocks are 5-10 ft above the walkway so when you do get out of your car you have to jump. Thank goodness no one in my family had a bad leg or was old, otherwise that would have been a problem.

I have never been evaced on a ride, but I was one ride away from it on Firehawk once. I want to actually really bad. I think it would be sweet! My dream is to get stuck at the top of TTD. even though thats not an evac, it would be awesome sitting up there. Plus, im pretty sure if that happens they give you free food and drinks for the rest of the day, and lifelong tickets.

this is what I heard happened to the people who did get stcuk at the top.

matt with his wishful thinking.

...My dream is to get stuck at the top of TTD. even though thats not an evac, it would be awesome sitting up there. Plus, im pretty sure if that happens they give you free food and drinks for the rest of the day, and lifelong tickets.

matt with his wishful thinking...

Chances of that happening are one in a million. The train has to be perfectly balanced at the top with the right amount of speed.

Good luck with that Matt. :)

HTCO, bein' a jerk to his friend...

Uh, one in a million in that context is not to be taken literally, but as an expression of rarity. Very small and very large figures/ratios are beyond the comprehension of most humans. A one percent failure rate sounds great to most people, but think what would happen to any coaster where one in every hundred people who rode were ejected!

...My dream is to get stuck at the top of TTD. even though thats not an evac, it would be awesome sitting up there. Plus, im pretty sure if that happens they give you free food and drinks for the rest of the day, and lifelong tickets.

matt with his wishful thinking...

Chances of that happening are one in a million. The train has to be perfectly balanced at the top with the right amount of speed.

Good luck with that Matt. :)

HTCO, bein' a jerk to his friend...

haha i know. But it has happened three times since they opened the ride :P .

I was stuck on The Beast and a manger came up and gave anyone who watned water some water to drink. It wasn't even hot out. I dont know some ride wouldn't bother like the The Beast getting out and walking down the steps but on Diamondback specially if your in the far seats OMG plus the transition from out of the train and onto the steps would be nutz.

I was stuck on The Beast and a manger came up and gave anyone who watned water some water to drink. It wasn't even hot out. I dont know some ride wouldn't bother like the The Beast getting out and walking down the steps but on Diamondback specially if your in the far seats OMG plus the transition from out of the train and onto the steps would be nutz.

I actually want to be stuck on the lift hill on Diamondback it would be pretty cool.

When I visited KI earlier this year my brother and his wife were stuck on Delirium for about 20 minutes. The ride had finished but something had happened. The worst part was standing at the exit with their 10 month old baby waiting on a parent swap. They shut it down for about half an hour and I just waited in line all over again later in the day.

Guest rcfreak339

I got evacded off of Cedar Point's corkscrew on the very beginning of the final brakes 3 weeks ago... Pretty cool but those Arrow cars are hard to get out of! That mere 6 inch lift into the car at the station suddenly becomes a 4ft jump onto a catwalk. After we got back to the station they took our names, zip codes and phone numbers. Is that normal? We do they do it? Surely its not a accident report.

By so doing, not only have they documented who was on the ride during the evacuation, but, perhaps more importantly, who was not. Then, nearly a year later, when Ms. Sally Wannasue and her lawyer serve papers on the company, they can say "Our records indicate that Ms. Sally was not even on the ride..."

So, the other day my friend and i were talking about this and you guys may be able to answer this for me. Does the park do anything as a form of customer recovery when you get stuck on a ride? Or does it depend on the severity of the "stuck"?

In most cases, free water is dolled out if the person is within easy reach..I was stuck on AE in the 2nd tunnel with the skeleton for about an hr a couple yrs ago in stifling heat..when finally evaced, I was also given a cut the line pass for any ride I wanted, which I used on TR, since at the time it was running 90 min waits.

When I visited KI earlier this year my brother and his wife were stuck on Delirium for about 20 minutes. The ride had finished but something had happened. The worst part was standing at the exit with their 10 month old baby waiting on a parent swap. They shut it down for about half an hour and I just waited in line all over again later in the day.

I've been stuck on MaXair last year. A little over half way through the ride, it stopped spinning and was just going back and forth, until of course it stopped because of gravity. After the ride we just sat there for 30-45 minutes and they couldn't evacuate us because the floor wouldn't come up. That part hurt, because the restraint was so tight on me, and being a guy doesn't help! Finally, the mechanic arrived and fixed the ride. Because we got stuck, they let us go on again.