The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

^I think that new trains would be the ticket. If they were to go with they should go with the Gravity Groups new coaster trains. Here's some info on 'em:

November 18, 2008 – The engineers at The Gravity Group started with a blank sheet of paper and ended up with the next generation of trains for wooden roller coasters.

"Timberliners incorporate new technology - such as magnetic braking and restraint monitoring - that wasn't even imagined when wooden coaster cars were first developed," says Michael Graham, lead engineer for the project. "When it comes to wooden coasters, The Gravity Group has more experience designing rides than anyone. We've applied that expertise in designing trains that addresses every facet of roller coaster performance and function - from maintenance and safety to rider enjoyment and capacity."

Timberliners are designed to be compatible with existing wooden coasters, allowing a park to upgrade their roller coasters with Timberliner trains.

Key features of the trains include:

Single-bench design

Shock absorption and ergonomic styling

Unparalleled ability to smoothly navigate the track for decreased train & track maintenance

Innovative restraint system for unsurpassed safety and security

Restraints designed for higher throughput

ASTM F2291 Class 5 restraint with integrated monitoring

On-board sound system capable

Magnetic braking capable

Launch system capable

And here's a video. (click the HD button)

Are the Timberliners for wood coasters only? If so, I wonder how long it'll be before we see a launched wooded coaster.

There is a difference between being 218 feet up, and then going 75+ mph, and being launched to even 60 mph. The acceleration force is much greater than if a train gradually gets to 75 mph. But, I don't see a company doing a launch wooden coaster anytime soon. But, maybe, just maybe... Nah.

Okay. Maybe KI will tear down SOB and replace it with a launched wooden coaster, but one that isn't as tall?! :lol::P

Thinking new trains will fix it is about the same as thinking a new car will fix a hole in the road.

Well said! Really, lighter trains might help a bit, but anyone remember last time they added lighter trains? I really saw no difference between the old and new trains, besides the fact that the old trains looked so cool. What did they do with the old trains, anyway?

A launched wooden coaster would be just weird - I don't like the idea. That would probably be even rougher than SOB. If SOB was torn down, they should add a B&M Inverted Coaster like Raptor. That would be great.

Not really all you would have to do is have it launch up a hill and the rest of the ride would be like any other wooden coaster.

A launched wooden coaster would be just weird - I don't like the idea. That would probably be even rougher than SOB. If SOB was torn down, they should add a B&M Inverted Coaster like Raptor. That would be great.

Not really all you would have to do is have it launch up a hill and the rest of the ride would be like any other wooden coaster.

I made a "launched" wooden roller coaster in RCT3...as well as a Wooden Shuttle Coaster...and a wooden coaster that went 260+ feet in the air. With not one, but TWO LOOPS!!!

I must be crazy. ;)

I was at KI tonight and went over to SOB while my sister was riding Skyflyer. All the signs for SOB are gone, the height signs and all the info signs. They were even gone throughout the entire line. It makes me kinda worried, because I personally love SOB.

I'm waiting for the new thread about what will replace SoB.....

Isn't that a classic case of counting your chickens before they hatch, or judging a book by its cover? They said they were going to decide what to do in the offseason. No one's said it's going to be removed. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Who knows? My personal guess is that it would be much more inexpensive to do extensive overhauling of the ride rather than tearing it down and trying to find another capital investment to put in its place.

I'm waiting for the new thread about what will replace SoB.....

Isn't that a classic case of counting your chickens before they hatch, or judging a book by its cover? They said they were going to decide what to do in the offseason. No one's said it's going to be removed. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Who knows? My personal guess is that it would be much more inexpensive to do extensive overhauling of the ride rather than tearing it down and trying to find another capital investment to put in its place.

I second that. It's gonna be a long rest of the year in this thread.

What do you think the forces are when it slams into the final brake?

Exactly. Launching is just braking in reverse.

A lack of trains advertised as being able to launch is not the reason a launched woodie hasn't been done. Some existing wooden coaster trains would be able to launch just fine, but there hasn't been any interest.