Roughest CF Wooden Coaster

CedarPointer

Roughest: Mean Streak

Hated on the most: Blue Streak at Cedar Point

Old Blue is so underrated.. it may have a small footprint, but it gives great pops of airtime.. especially since the ancient lap bars don't give you less than 2 inches of space on the lowest click. So many people I know say it is too rough, and that makes me sad. It's a classic John Allen. It's 45 years old.. it's going to be a tad rough, but it's nothing I can't handle.

Roughest I've been on, Mean Streak. The most hate ride is Son of Beast. I love Son of Beast, It's my second favorite woodie, and the 3rd. best coaster at KI (DB, TG.) SOB is a little bit rough on the rosebowl but I think that some people are just saying how much they hate it just so they can fit in with everyone else, I really think that people are over exaggerating alot...

I think that some people are just saying how much they hate it just so they can fit in with everyone else, I really think that people are over exaggerating alot...

I rode in the middle, and came off with a headache, backache, and a bruise on my right side. I had to take several painkillers so I could enjoy the rest of my day at KI. If that is "trying to fit in," then so be it. I don't enjoy rides that beat the living hell out of me.. if I'm going to ride a coaster and come off with a bruise, at least Magnum XL-200 is worth it.

I think that some people are just saying how much they hate it just so they can fit in with everyone else, I really think that people are over exaggerating alot...

I rode in the middle, and came off with a headache, backache, and a bruise on my right side. I had to take several painkillers so I could enjoy the rest of my day at KI. If that is "trying to fit in," then so be it. I don't enjoy rides that beat the living hell out of me.. if I'm going to ride a coaster and come off with a bruise, at least Magnum XL-200 is worth it.

The way I felt after the last couple times I rode SOB (both before and after the loop removal) was very similar to how I felt after my truck was T-boned a few years ago.

Maybe I'm just (what ever the word for not feeling pain is)? But the weird thing is, In 2008 I didn't like Beast because I thought it was too rough, yet I've always loved Son of Beast. I have weird tastes in coasters. :wacko:

I went on SoB this year and last. I never really felt any pain of any kind.

The way I felt after the last couple times I rode SOB (both before and after the loop removal) was very similar to how I felt after my truck was T-boned a few years ago.

I have heard from some other people that neck and back pain sustained on SoB is very similar to that which you would get in a car accident...

With the exception of a few votes for Carowinds Huler, Mean Streak & SOB have all the votes. I have ridden neither, but why I am I not suprised at all...well, I am a little bit, you'd think some of the others would have at least ONE...

As for a coaster I've been told was rough and then rode, The Beast at KI. I've read reviews online that said "this is one rough wooden coaster" and when I rode it myself...it was only a bit bumpy, not at all painful, even in the helix finale (though it almost got rough there). Roughest part was actually the corner as you came around to the lift hill! I'm not kidding.

As for SOB being like "a car crash", I've also heard that if you hold on to the lapbar or handle of the train, it feels like riding a jackhammer. Hey, that would be a good name for a wooden roller coaster..."Jackhammer: The Ride!" ;):lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Roughest: SoB. Even if it opens again, it'll never see me. I've ridden it 6 times and that's 6 times too many.

Hated on: The Beast.

I remember when The Beast was really a fantastic woodie. Then came the trim brakes. Then came more trim brakes. It's still a great ride, but honestly it's on the verge of boring any more, in my opinion. I'm certainly going to catch some flack for saying it, but that's just what I think.

Roughest: Mean Streak

Hated on: Blue Streak

The roughest is definetly Mean Streak. I can walk without problem after coming off of Son of Beast. Not the same for Mean Streak though, as it sometimes hurts to move after a ride on that dreadful coaster. As for hated on most, I think Blue Streak because I think that people often confuse ejector air with roughness. I actually find Blue Streak to be a mostly smooth ride, and fun ride.

Never ridden all of them, but the worst I've ridden (And most hated on) is Son of Beast.

but I think that some people are just saying how much they hate it just so they can fit in with everyone else, I really think that people are over exaggerating alot...

I rode it in late 2008 when it was a walk on. I rode it, got off, sat down on a bench, took medicine when I got home, and said "Never again. Not a chance in hell." It HURTS. Period.

Never ridden all of them, but the worst I've ridden (And most hated on) is Son of Beast.

but I think that some people are just saying how much they hate it just so they can fit in with everyone else, I really think that people are over exaggerating alot...

I rode it in late 2008 when it was a walk on. I rode it, got off, sat down on a bench, took medicine when I got home, and said "Never again. Not a chance in hell." It HURTS. Period.

I guess people have different tolerances of pain. I don't think Son of Beast is rough a single bit, most rides. But Diamondback gives me a head ache if I ride it too much because of the roughness on the bottom of the trimmed hill.

So Son of Beast is fine for you but Diamondback hurts?

I give up.

Nope. Diamondback only gives me a head ache if I ride it many many times in a row. SOB will do the same, but if I ride either 5 or less times in a row I'll be fine. Diamondback isn't rough, it just vibrates after the hammerhead.

No. It all has to do with maintenance, and perhaps weather conditions as well. For you information, Wildcat, the first GCI, opened with PTC trains. It didn't get anywhere near as rough as Gwazi has. It now has GCI's trains, which are far superior to the PTCs from a maintenance standpoint and in tracking. But for many, many years (1996-2006) it ran with PTC's.

I would also challenge another of your assumptions. You said:

...Of course they will get rough over time, but no where near as easy as others will.

With proper maintenance, there is absolutely NO reason why a wooden coaster should get rougher over time. Kennywood's Racer, Jackrabbit and Thunderbolt are perfect examples. They are as smooth now (last time I rode them) as the first time I rode each. The same can be said of Cannonball at Lake Winnie. Comet at Lake George. Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz...and on and on. Notice the absence of theme parks and large seasonal park chains' wooden coasters in this statement. (See, for instance, Hurler and even Racer at Kings Island).

So Son of Beast is fine for you but Diamondback hurts?

I give up.

Nope. Diamondback only gives me a head ache if I ride it many many times in a row. SOB will do the same, but if I ride either 5 or less times in a row I'll be fine. Diamondback isn't rough, it just vibrates after the hammerhead.

I know what you mean about Diamondback, DropZone99. If I try to mararthon it, I will get a SLIGHTLY more progressive headache with each ride due to the ride's positive Gs. Toward the last two or three months of the season I tried not to sit on an outside seat near the back because I, for whatever reason, became hypersensitive (no pun intended) to Diamondback's shakiness toward the back of the train. It only really seemed really shaky to me on the first two drops, but I did notice it.