OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

I guess this leaves two options.

1. SOB will reopen in a few years with steel track, and also a different name.

2. SOB is done for...

The more likely of the two, you decide.

_________

I myself go with the 2nd option, and I believe the following happened during the offseason:

1. Last winter Cedar Fair had been 'looking in to' different options for making the ride experience better.

2. Cedar Fair's management decided the only good option would be contracting Intamin to steel track Son of Beast.

3. A few weeks before opening day, Cedar Fair received the information on what retracking would require.

4. A few days before opening day, Cedar Fair management decided they could not afford whatever Intamin had been offering.

5. Having forgotten about the sign, a manager noticed the SOB box on an opening day PTR, and had it removed the next day.

Seriously there is only one reason to me thinking the first option is unlikely... Cedar Fair hates renaming rides!

well the box being removed does not mean for me that its closed forever. however moving the que line back like they did does make me wonder about the ride. To be truthful though I wont believe its done for till they start dismantling some part of the ride or remove the que completely.

I myself go with the 2nd option, and I believe the following happened during the offseason:

1. Last winter Cedar Fair had been 'looking in to' different options for making the ride experience better.

2. Cedar Fair's management decided the only good option would be contracting Intamin to steel track Son of Beast.

3. A few weeks before opening day, Cedar Fair received the information on what retracking would require.

4. A few days before opening day, Cedar Fair management decided they could not afford whatever Intamin had been offering.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxford-news/son-of-beast-wont-open-this-season-607408.html

Scheid said he has asked three engineering firms to submit proposals for a long-term fix. One firm’s proposal was unsatisfactory, he said, and he is waiting for the others.

They contacted more then just Intamin. One was turned down and I have not seen any other news on it since then. I wouldn't doubt if they contacted Intamin about about the steel track and I wouldn't be surprised if Intamin turned them down. Besides why would they want to spend 10-15 million on Son of Beast? Not knowing if it's going to be the right fix.

^why did six flags spend the money for a complete overhaul on texas giant if they don't know if it will be "the right fix"?

i agree with shark, just because the removed the crate the Son of Beast logo was in, doesn't mean that the ride is done for, the box was doing nothing setting there, so why not just remove it for the time being?

plus, i could see some guest pointing out that the crate was setting there to have Son of Beast placed in, so it could be returned for the parks money back.

^why did six flags spend the money for a complete overhaul on texas giant if they don't know if it will be "the right fix"?

I wondered that too at first until I looked at this. http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/info/News_TexasGiantTrack.aspx

The steepest drop IN THE WORLD at 79 degrees.

The steepest bank of any wooden coaster IN THE WORLD at 95 degrees.

The world’s first Iron Horse Coaster track™©®. This rail system is made completely of steel and engineered for long term durability.

To put it back it back as the worlds top wooden coaster.

Coney Island Rocks, I would say there are more than just the two options you noted.

There is the total removal of the ride, the potential conversion of the ride to a steel track/prefab. And the third option is a major redesign of the ride, although keeping the wooden track.

Needless to say, there is money involved either direction the park turns. They have to evaluate if the expense would be able to justify the return on investment they would expect to receive. Also, if they opt to keep the ride, they likely will want to be 120% sure that the fix will deal with all of the issues that this ride has had. They would not want to invest this money, only to have to come back later and fix the ride again.

I think from a marketing stand point, the Son of Beast name is dead. If the ride does in fact reopen at some point in the future, I think it would be safe to say that the ride will very likely be considerably different than it was when it last operated. And as such, a new name would be appropriate.

(And if it does reopen, then the debate would rage on about whether to count it as a new credit). But that is purely hypothetical at this point. For now, the 2010 season is still in its infancy. Lets enjoy Diamondback in its second season, and eagerly await the arrival of the new entertainment options this summer as well as the all but officially confirmed by the park light show.

The steepest drop IN THE WORLD at 79 degrees.

The steepest bank of any wooden coaster IN THE WORLD at 95 degrees.

The world’s first Iron Horse Coaster track™©®. This rail system is made completely of steel and engineered for long term durability.

To put it back it back as the worlds top wooden coaster.

yet, roller coasters are classified by the material that the running rails are made of, now texas giant has steel running rails, which will make it lose any record that it has/would have as a wooden roller coaster, since it's now a steel hybrid coaster.

SoB's trains are sitting, with the cars seperated individually, on skids in the area between the drop out of the station and the area where the loop used to be. The cars aren't even being covered or anything.

I doubt those trains would be used again. They were there all winter... If they do use them, they'd give them a complete overhaul anyways.

it might not be, but to me that sounds like Son of Beast still has a chance to reopen.

if Kings Island or Cedar Fair (not sure which of the two would make that decision) made up there minds to close the ride forever, wouldn't you think they would have already moved the trains off the rides location and have them setting in storage somewhere in the park? you would think, or at least i think, that if Kings Island could possibly get any money out of any part of the ride, if it was done for, they wouldn't be letting something like the trains (which could easily be sold) set out in the elements and possibly become of less value.

edit: ^Diamondback's trains set out through two of the really bad snow storms this past winter on skids located between the spashdown and the storage shed, if they made it through that, i don't see where Son of Beast's trains would be any different.

it might not be, but to me that sounds like Son of Beast still has a chance to reopen.

if Kings Island or Cedar Fair (not sure which of the two would make that decision) made up there minds to close the ride forever, wouldn't you think they would have already moved the trains off the rides location and have them setting in storage somewhere in the park? you would think, or at least i think, that if Kings Island could possibly get any money out of any part of the ride, if it was done for, they wouldn't be letting something like the trains (which could easily be sold) set out in the elements and possibly become of less value.

edit: ^Diamondback's trains set out through two of the really bad snow storms this past winter on skids located between the spashdown and the storage shed, if they made it through that, i don't see where Son of Beast's trains would be any different.

Again, no one know for sure yet, but I think the fact that the rides entrance has been "permanently" closed and all signage removed and all the trains just out in the elements for almost a year now is very telling that the ride will either be closed or completely reworked with new cars.

Wow, I can not believe the crate is gone. I have to say, I think Kings Island should sell it to me. I am the one who thinks that Son of Beast is the best wooden coaster at Kings Island, and possibly the best coaster at Kings Island (Top Gun and or Diamondback are about the same).

Wow, I can not believe the crate is gone. I have to say, I think Kings Island should sell it to me. I am the one who thinks that Son of Beast is the best wooden coaster at Kings Island, and possibly the best coaster at Kings Island (Top Gun and or Diamondback are about the same).

The crate is there, just empty!

I believe there are two big reasons.

At one time TG was a great, and immensely popular, ride. This modification to a ride that is almost 20 years old will spark intrest by those who have not rode it in quite some time due to how rough it is.

SF was able to find someone that is willing to do the work.

Everybody in my class says, "Son of Beast is amazing! It's my favorite ride ever!". It seems surprising to me. I think I might be the only one in my class who doesn't like it.

(although half the kids went like 5 years ago, so they have no clue!)

Or you're the only one who will admit that they don't like it... keep in mind all the other exaggerations that some people make ("I was on the Dropper Zone when the girl's head got cut off! Then I went over to Flight of Fantasy and it fell off teh traque!"). I doubt if some of them even rode it. ;)

Everybody in my class says, "Son of Beast is amazing! It's my favorite ride ever!". It seems surprising to me. I think I might be the only one in my class who doesn't like it.

(although half the kids went like 5 years ago, so they have no clue!)

Or you're the only one who will admit that they don't like it... keep in mind all the other exaggerations that some people make ("I was on the Dropper Zone when the girl's head got cut off! Then I went over to Flight of Fantasy and it fell off teh traque!"). I doubt if some of them even rode it. ;)

Whether they rode it or not, the point is there - Son of Beast has no lack of fans. There are the enthusiasts and the (for lack of a better term) middle-aged people who do get beaten up. Yes. But to say that everyone hates Son of Beast is simply not accurate. I took a group of friends in early 2009. All seven thought it was easily one of the best rides they'd ever been on (keep in mind, I'm not the ride's biggest fan, and did nothing but talk about how rough it was beforehand). I took my friend who is 6'2" and suffers from many back ailments and said it probably wasn't a good idea that he ride Son of Beast. He did, and still holds it in higher regard than The Beast. I went last weekend with a friend who had never been, and she simply could not stop marveling at the structure and saying that it looked like an incredible ride and she was angry she couldn't ride it.

The same can be said from many school-aged folks, I believe. I know that, even four hours away in my Akron, Ohio high school, I heard talk of Son of Beast, and not in a negative way. Not at all. Is it "rough as hell?" Yeah. But do people despise it? No. Those who absolutely think it's the worst thing on Earth are the same one's who care about the name "Flight Deck" and care about the antique cars - normal, everyday visitors simply haven't heard all the fuss or just don't care. A first-time group of teenagers to Kings Island doesn't care what that suspended coaster is called, what used to be where Backlot is today, or how low on the coaster rankings Son of Beast is rated.

I'm not justifying the ride's roughness. You cannot deny, it is too rough, and could be vastly improved.

My point is simply to counter what some have said: The ride is not ruined just because of its name. If the ride were torn down completely and a new company was brought in to build a new ride with a new layout and it had absolutely nothing in common with the ride currently known as Son of Beast except for sharing the name, the queue would be full. On the other end of the spectrum, if the ride opened tomorrow with no changes, the queue would be full. Many of us here would be the one's standing in line. There might not be as many of those "middle-aged" folks in line, but maybe there never should've been.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxford-news/son-of-beast-wont-open-this-season-607408.html

MASON — The Son of Beast will remain idle for this season, Kings Island announced Thursday evening, March 18.

The world’s tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster has caused trouble for the amusement park since it opened in 2000 and has cost nearly $30 million for construction and subsequent repairs, according to the Kings Island vice president and general manager, Greg Scheid.

When the park opens April 17, park goers will find Planet Snoopy – a new kids’ area themed to Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the rest of the PEANUTS gang – and major thrill rides but no Son of Beast.

On June 23, 2009, the coaster was abruptly shut down for the year after a 39-year-old Mason woman reported she had a burst blood vessel in her brain as a result of riding the coaster.

Scheid said he’s not ready to give up on the major investment just yet. Structurally, he said the ride is sound but he is not pleased with the thrill ride’s performance.

Since the roller coaster opened, six incidents involving injury have been reported. After each incident, the Ohio Department of Agriculture, which oversees all amusement park rides in the state, has inspected the ride and cleared it for reopening.

Scheid said he has asked three engineering firms to submit proposals for a long-term fix. One firm’s proposal was unsatisfactory, he said, and he is waiting for the others.

Last fall, a forensic engineer provided video testimony in a civil lawsuit that Kings Island was “negligent” and “put passengers at risk” by using a Band-Aid approach to fixing the ride.

Jennifer Wright of Defiance sued park owners Cedar Fair after she and 26 others were injured on the ride July 7, 2006.

The jury awarded Wright $76,364 in compensatory damages, and then park officials struck an undisclosed settlement with Wright on punitive damages, before the jury could hear the engineer’s testimony.

Scheid said the park hasn’t talked about tearing down the ride.

“It’s more of a how do we make it right,” he said.

I knew it! One of my good friends told me this back in June of 2009, and it looks like he was right! I've heard GCII, TGG, and I don't remember the other one. Supposedly GCII was the one who had the unsatisfactory decision from Kings Island. Remember though, this is just what a friend of mine told me. I'm NOT saying it is true, or that you should believe it, I just felt like it was worth posting!

Hi! First time poster here...

I wonder if the reason they would not go with GCII is that it would cost too much money? If I look at Lake Compounce who spent top dollars getting GCII to come in over two off season to fix Boulder Dash, which never had issues as big as this one... On Boulder Dash, they retracked most of the ride, rebuilt whole sections, added footers and additional structure to the turns and even made the ride more exciting by adding a double up at the end. Also, maybe if they would get the Millennium Flyers, the maintenance department could not maintain them?

Hi! First time poster here...

I wonder if the reason they would not go with GCII is that it would cost too much money? If I look at Lake Compounce who spent top dollars getting GCII to come in over two off season to fix Boulder Dash, which never had issues as big as this one... On Boulder Dash, they retracked most of the ride, rebuilt whole sections, added footers and additional structure to the turns and even made the ride more exciting by adding a double up at the end. Also, maybe if they would get the Millennium Flyers, the maintenance department could not maintain them?

Welcome to KICentral!

Yeah GCII did retrack some of Boulder Dash, and they have been retracking and adding new supports to Thunder Road at Carowinds for a few years. Those rides never have been known to be extremely rough or injure people. Although I don't think Son of Beast is rough at all, most people do. I think GCII is afraid to work on Son of Beast because...

1: The tallest coasters they make are around 110' tall, they have no experience with woodies this big.

2: They are afraid they wouldn't fix it too much since they don't have experience, and it will still be rough and people will say GCIIs suck.

3: They don't want to take the chance of doing a bad job and another person gets injured, and they get sued.

i believe (and that's all, i'm not forcing anyone else to believe this) that any company that builds wooden roller coasters would be willing to do work on it, as long as they're getting paid i don't see it being a problem for them to want to do it, rides history or not.

Working on a ride with such a bad history is a big risk (lawsuits, mostly), so the companies naturally will charge quite a bit more.

Wether Cedar Fair is willing to pay the amount of cash companies are offering, I do not know.

But think of how great a PR move it would be for the company that could fix the ride the right way. They would be know as the company that tamed Sob!

Working on a ride with such a bad history is a big risk (lawsuits, mostly), so the companies naturally will charge quite a bit more.

Wether Cedar Fair is willing to pay the amount of cash companies are offering, I do not know.

But think of how great a PR move it would be for the company that could fix the ride the right way. They would be know as the company that tamed Sob!

TRUE!