Kentucky Kingdom

Fair board President Harold Workman expects multiple responses

Of course he does. That said, he will be shocked to actually RECEIVE any.

The response cannot propose any private ownership interest in any of the property located on the park grounds. All the land and improvements are owned by the state and must remain state property.

I cannot imagine why the big boys aren't chomping at the bit for this park,

• Like 1

None of them. The rides were not "put away" properly. Thunder Run's train is still sitting on the withering brake run, protected by nothing. Weeds are infiltrating all aspects of the park. Rust has been calling roller coaster track home since day one of the closure.

I would rather try and save The Big Dipper before save anything from Kentucky Kingdom.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, Terp, what was the most recent steel coaster refurbished after decades of nonuse? I think the most recent coaster of any material was Zippin Pippin, which from my understanding, had a substantial amount of redesigning as well as new materials. But heck, I could be far from the truth. I would think fixing up a wooden coaster would be far easier than a steel coaster.

This is a bit early for even you, Terp!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say above.

Would it be nice to see a fortunate few rides from Kentucky Kingdom refurbished and sent elsewhere to operate under caring owners? Yes. Is it feasible given Mr. Workman--well, the board for that matter--'s reluctance to cooperate with any party? No.

Question: Is there anything of historical importance in the park? If so, what?

Wrong question. This is state property. If the park does not continue, all the property will be disposed of under the state's rules and procedures.

Not to mention other things have changED residence to New Jersey. Yet another steel coaster there went not to New Jersey, but rather Massachusetts.

As to your question, perhaps the most historic things are the steel Anton coaster already mentioned and the carousel. And the shoes from Kings Island!

None of them. The rides were not "put away" properly. Thunder Run's train is still sitting on the withering brake run, protected by nothing. Weeds are infiltrating all aspects of the park. Rust has been calling roller coaster track home since day one of the closure.

I would rather try and save The Big Dipper before save anything from Kentucky Kingdom.

I agree with Terpy and also, What about Six Flags New Orleans? They are planning on turning it into an outlet mall and possibly using 1-2 of the coasters. Every roller coaster at that park is rusted in some way, Most of them are literally starting to fall apart. :mellow:

I'm not.

Mr. Hart is in this for Mr. Hart. His demands in the past were not met by the State. He wishes to transfer nearly all his investment risk to the taxpayers of Kentucky. Why should the state guarantee his loan? Why should the state be in competition with private enterprises like Holiday World, Beech Bend and Kings Island? Why should Mr. Hart and his political cronies be given state guarantees to compete with private business?

If he wants to start a theme park, why should he have unfair advantages (and disadvantages) that others do not?

• Like 1

If he was so interested in that park, he should have never sold off his interests in the park back in the 90`s.

I don`t see how Kentucky Kingdom can re-open as an amusement park. The options surrounding the Louisville area are just too numerous, as you mentioned. There are three parks just an hour or two away from that area. That is pretty steep competition to be going up against. Especially without actually owning the land tha the park sits on and being free to run the park without the oversight of the fairboard (or the large payments that they want).

As an aside, we haven`t heard much out of the folks at Holiday World since they called off Bluegrass Boardwalk. I wonder if they are planning on adding anything new to Holiday World in 2013. They normally start teasing about new things this time of year. Although, they are busy finishing the final touches on their new Halloween event.

If he was so interested in that park, he should have never sold off his interests in the park back in the 90`s.

He received an offer that he couldn't resist and sold the park for $64,000,000. Every man has their selling point even if it is something he loves. He made a huge profit and foresaw the trouble that the Fair Board was going to cause dealing with business. So he was in a win/win situation. Sell the park for a huge profit and he did not have to deal with the Fair board which is (IMO) ultimately the reason why the park failed and is still not operating today. Ed Hart is not an idiot he knows exactly what he is doing.

• Like 7

Basically, Mr. Hart is the ONLY person really interested in opening the park and it is pretty obvious that the Fair Board doesn't want him. Not to mention all of Harts proposals have involved state backed funds, which the RFP specifically prohibits.

This park is dead.

I don't think its quite dead yet.....

• 2 weeks later...

Budget With Projected $5 Million Deficit Approved By Fair Board:

http://m.wave3.com/autojuice?targetUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wave3.com%2fstory%2f19661895%2f5-million-projected-deficit-approved-by-fair-board

Given that Kentucky Agencies are required to balance their budgets, read Ye between the lines. There's one heck of a clue here, folks.

Budget With Projected $5 Million Deficit Approved By Fair Board:

http://m.wave3.com/a...d-by-fair-board

Given that Kentucky Agencies are required to balance their budgets, read Ye between the lines. There's one heck of a clue here, folks.

So is that good or bad for KK?

Yes.

Terp, who strongly suspects the latter (as in the $5 million is to be the amount expected from sale of the rides as personal property.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...