KI Opens for 39th season on April 30th, 2011

CoastersRZ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year will be such a defining year. We will have a new attraction with WindSeeker, but it's not a huge investment like Planet Snoopy or Diamondback. In some ways, 2011 will be the first season that the park will coast on what it's created in the past two years, hoping that it's established itself enough to maintain its level of respect in the amusement park world. It will also be the year that, to me at least, there are no more excuses. We cannot simply right off mistakes as Cedar Fair 'getting used to the parks,' and we have to hold ourselves to a higher degree of open-mindedness and enthusiasm for the choices they make, even if we initially don't agree (in other words, sure some may not like the Half Pint Brawlers, or the next crazy stunt they attempt, but let's wait until it begins to speculate on how awful it will be).

Not only that, but 2011 will also, in many ways, be a make-or-break for Son of Beast & The Crypt. Either something will happen, or it won't, and neither can go on much farther without action.

Not only that, but really, this may be a defining season for rides like Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight Deck, both of which are desperately showing age and lack of care in different ways. As I said, there are no more excuses: at this point, either the rides will be reinvigorated in the ways which they need most, or the clock is ticking in my book. If our Backlot Stunt Coaster ends up like Wonderland's (literally zero effects - no music, no flames, no water, no fog, no MINI Coopers, doesn't even stop at the helicopter scene), then really, what's the point?

In so many ways I think 2011 will mark a very important year in the park's history. It could go either way. I'm hoping & longing for the high road!

Also, consider this: maybe the park is opening late because they expect to have a lot to do next spring, and simply don't know that they'll be able to finish it all if they open the park in mid-April like usual. It doesn't seem to be a chain-wide reduction on the operating season since Kings Dominion opens April 2nd, 2011... Not sure how logical that is from a financial standpoint, but maybe it's factoring into the decision...

Next year will be such a defining year. We will have a new attraction with WindSeeker, but it's not a huge investment like Planet Snoopy...Not only that, but 2011 will also, in many ways, be a make-or-break for Son of Beast & The Crypt. Either something will happen, or it won't, and neither can go on much farther without action...Not only that, but really, this may be a defining season for rides like Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight Deck, both of which are desperately showing age and lack of care in different ways...

Sorry but Planet Snoopy was not a "huge investment," and how is 2011 a make or break year for SoB? In the grand scheme of things, the park could care less if that ride sits for another season. The ride itself has sat idle for how long now? What's another season?...And where do you get the idea that just because FlightDeck doesn't have a fresh coat of paint that the ride is shown a "lack of care"? Do you think the wheels change themselves? How about the track bolts? I guess they replace themselves as well. Thankfully the ride has the self welding track option or that would never get done... You really don't "get it" dude.

Next year will be such a defining year. We will have a new attraction with WindSeeker, but it's not a huge investment like Planet Snoopy...Not only that, but 2011 will also, in many ways, be a make-or-break for Son of Beast & The Crypt. Either something will happen, or it won't, and neither can go on much farther without action...Not only that, but really, this may be a defining season for rides like Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight Deck, both of which are desperately showing age and lack of care in different ways...

Sorry but Planet Snoopy was not a "huge investment," and how is 2011 a make or break year for SoB? In the grand scheme of things, the park could care less if that ride sits for another season. The ride itself has sat idle for how long now? What's another season?...And where do you get the idea that just because FlightDeck doesn't have a fresh coat of paint that the ride is shown a "lack of care"? Do you think the wheels change themselves? How about the track bolts? I guess they replace themselves as well. Thankfully the ride has the self welding track option or that would never get done... You really don't "get it" dude.

The ride looks attrocious. Allowing rides to visibly rust , while doing the bare minimum to pass State inspections, is,by definition, a "lack of care", IMO! However, from what I saw today, that may not be an issue next year.

Planet Snoopy was a huge investment. It may not be money wise, but how the park has changed. Boo Blasters, bobble head days, Charlie Brown's Hoe Down, Snoopy Rocks on Ice, and Transforming the World's Best Kids Area.

Has anyone caught wind(seeker) of when Cedar Point and Carrowinds is scheduled to open in 2011?

I don't understand why all Cedar Fair parks wouldn't open on the same day, is this something new?

This end of April news is really sad because 51/2 months sounds a whole lot shorter than 6 months!

The ride looks attrocious. Allowing rides to visibly rust , while doing the bare minimum to pass State inspections, is,by definition, a "lack of care", IMO! However, from what I saw today, that may not be an issue next year.

If you are going to make such a bold statement regarding the safety and maintenance of a ride (which could be viewed by the park as slander), you better have something to back it up other than how the ride looks. Unless you have the actual inspection in your hand or know of the grades that the park received on their inspections you really have no merit to make such a statement. The way I see it, passing is passing whether if it's by 1 point or by 20 points...

What do you call a student who finishes med school at the bottom of the class with a 2.1 GPA?

Doctor

No reason to be a jerk about it. Besides, my personal theory is flight deck and son are both outta here. Before anyone runs with that, it is just MY personal opinion, not fact.

AZ Kinda Guy was not being a jerk...he was mearly pointing out that someone made a wild accusation that the park was doing the "bare minimum to pass state inspections" when they have no expertise to back that statement up other than what they can see from the walkway during their visits.

1. The visual quality of a ride makes it a little more enjoyable; however, wear and tear gives some rides a bit of distinct character imho.

2. Wow! It's already been 6 seasons for IJST/BLSC, and it does look like it's been more like 10. ...and

3. Kings Island is in Ohio (great state with lots to do and see, but not exactly known as a tourism Mecca). I think parks in the "wider-season" zones of the country, where there are a lot more options for amusement experiences, pay more attention to aesthetics because they have to compete a little harder for John Q. Public's entertainment dollar. I could be waaaay off, though. But just consider.

This definitely does NOT make the Raptorguy a happy camper whatsoever. Another one of many poor business decisions from Cedar Fair. The only thing that I can

think of is, opening day at Kings Island has consistently been the week after Easter Sunday since Cedar Fair has run the park. Easter is the last Sunday of April this

year, so maybe they just looked at the calender for when Easter was, and said, we open the next Saturday. Still, a poor business decision, and have no reason

for why they wouldn't want to be open on Easter Sunday. They don't honor any other religious things. They're just shooting themselves in the foot and missing

that business. Oh well, I am sure Dolly would welcome all of the would be Kings Island business, no problem!

...while doing the bare minimum to pass State inspections...

I didn't realize you were familiar with the criteria for passing the state inspections. Oh that's right, you're not. And before you ask, yes, I am.

I will not respond to your comments, as I do not feed trolls.

You think I'm a troll? HAHAHAHA... It's best to know what you're talking about before you go making false accusations. Btw, you responded to my comment.

Yes, it is very true. It is best you know what you are talking about before responding.

I`m sure there is a valid reason why opening day is so late, but as of right now, I`m perplexed. Yes, the weather can be a bit erratic, but so can the weather in October.

Yes, it is very true. It is best you know what you are talking about before responding.

I`m sure there is a valid reason why opening day is so late, but as of right now, I`m perplexed. Yes, the weather can be a bit erratic, but so can the weather in October.

Yes it can, take a look at this year for instance, October weather was almost scary perfect to go to Kings Island. Besides the 31st, I went two other times and was in a t-shirt and jeans and was actually hot at some points. Overall I believe we had a great year for weather.

Adam, by looking at that calender you linked, KI actually closes down before Halloween is over, kind of bummer it's not open one more weekend. I do like seeing daily operation starting so soon though. The only sad thing is, we are 1 day, yes 1 day into the off-season.

Its unfortunate that budget cuts, if true, are forcing the park to open nearly two weekends later. Yes, keeping a close eye on budgets is a necessity, and it can be a gamble opening in the early season with the weather. I have witnessed numerous days that Coney closed early due to "bad" weather in the area, when in reality, they were trying to cut their losses for the day. I also have witnesses some other budget cuts back in 2009 (in terms of labor) at Coney, that were clearly visible to park guests. How much budget cutting is ok, before it starts to negatively impact the perceived value that guests have? I know that the cuts Coney made in 2009 (which have since been reversed I might add), clearly cut into the value that the paying customers were getting. I think part of the issue for the later opening may be the fact that there is no main draw to the park during the pre-season weekends like there is with Haunt in the post season. It makes it a tougher sell to get people through the gate in April/May.

Like i said I`m glad to see daily operation begin sooner, but I am really disappointed to see opening day fall so late this year. Especially since I may have to forgo opening day, given that it is the week before Coney`s rides open for the season! Nice to see the midnight closes on Saturdays in July though.

I`m still kind of shocked they aren`t going to try staying open later on some Sundays with Haunt like some of the other Cedar Fair parks. Especially given how busy Fridays at Haunt were this year. Seems like they could capture some more money if they were open on a couple Sundays..

I think some people are equating "care" with "safety" which is not necessarily true. Obviously a lot of work goes into keeping every single ride at KI working in a safe manner. I do not at all think GYK was suggesting that the park was skimping on ride maintenance when it comes to Flight Deck or any other ride. KI employees work very hard at keeping the rides we love in as safe a condition as possible. However, Flight Deck looks awful. Cedar Fair/KI have not, aesthetically speaking, cared for the ride the way that some (including me) wish that they had.

...while doing the bare minimum to pass State inspections...

I didn't realize you were familiar with the criteria for passing the state inspections. Oh that's right, you're not. And before you ask, yes, I am.

I will not respond to your comments, as I do not feed trolls.

You think I'm a troll?

I have not and will not respond to your comments. There is a difference between informing you of this fact and responding to the substance of what you said. You obviously are not capable of recognizing the distinction. And the fact that you found it necessary to ask the quoted question after reading my last post confirms the extent of your "capabilies."