Cedar Point removing WildCat

Sad day, this was my sleeper favorite at CPD. It's bright colors, retro lighting package, and small perimeter created great kinetics on that midway. All in the name of progress, I guess, and the new Celebration Plaza looks to be stunning.

Celebration Plaza Expansion

Cedar Point has announced that it is expanding its new Celebration Plaza. As a part of that expansion, Cedar Point will be removing the WildCat roller coaster.

WildCat was coming to the end of its useful life. With the desired expansion to Celebration Plaza, coupled with the low ridership and increased maintenance costs, Cedar Point has decided to accelerate the removal of the ride. WildCat will be removed from the park prior to Opening Day and the materials will be sent to a recycling facility.

This expansion is one of several initiatives that will beautify the park midways and enhance guests’ experiences. Additional improvements include state-of-the-art lighting packages on Giant Wheel, Millennium Force and Power Tower, a new sound and lighting system along the park’s Main Midway and the re-painting of the Millennium Force and Blue Streak roller coasters.

Cedar Point remains committed to being the roller coaster capital of the world. New roller coasters, rides and attractions will always be a part of Cedar Point’s future.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/celebration-plaza-expansion

So now they are down a coaster which only means they have the same amount of coasters as a park with many flags. So does this mean CP will be getting that new coaster for sure to retain the park with the most coasters title?

I think the former CF chief is far more concerned with such titles than the current...

• Like 1

This is unfortunate, but not exactly surprising.

WC has suffered two incidents in 5 years. It does not mean those incidents led directly to today's press release, but I believe it was considered as part of the decision.

I am surprised about the last sentence given the current trend of a more family atmosphere. Sure, it does not mean any guarantee of massive coasters, but it will certainly fuel speculation (as if enthusiasts needed more fuel ;) ).

And they said nothing about ridership, but capacity was an issue. Even an obsverable short line on Wildat meant at least a 20-minute wait, and sometimes longer due to frequent down-time. Not to mention two fairly serious mishaps on the ride the past two seasons, one of which was a car actually rolling back the lift hill. That's no "bump", that's a crash that would lead to explosions on RCT! :)

• Like 2

Wildcat didn't have low ridership. That thing had a long wait time everytime i went.

Long waits don't necessarily mean anything. Take a local carnival ride with wild-mouse style loading and configuration and put it in the 2nd most highly attended seasonal theme park on the continent and voila.

Compare that to the new Little Mermaid ride at California Adventure, which some insist on labeling a commercial failure thanks to its 10 minute lines on even the busiest of days... They forget about the 3000 pph, constantly-loading Omnimover ride system, I guess.

Dorney 2013.....?

If your talking about Wildcat going to Dorney in 2013, then you need to read the whole story.

It's a joke since Dorney unexpectedly received another Cedar Point ride (one that made similar sounds to the Wildcat coaster, actually) that appeared ready for a scrap heap.

A real sign of change, I think. Even being decades old, I always thought it was a low blow to try to hold onto the record that a ride that was so obviously portable made the line-up. And Celebration Plaza? Do we see the emergence of distinctly labeled areas emerging yet again?

Not gonna lie: Wildcat's probably my least favorite Schwarzkopf that I've ridden, so I'm not exactly heartbroken that it's leaving. I'm a little bummed that another older coaster is going to the scrap heap, but there are several more charming rides that actually fit Cedar Point's atmosphere that could easily replace it. (Even another Schwarzkopf, though I doubt they'd buy any coasters with the mileage of most Schwarzkopf rides these days.) Wildcat just always seemed like the sort of coaster you'd find at a larger county fair--wasn't it even the portable model?

^ Maybe not in that specific spot, but allegedly CP's teased having something big for next year. Either speculation or some hint from Kinzel has several people believing something will be mentioned at this year's CoasterMania. Plus, what does it actually mean to be the "Coaster Capital of the World," anyway? If they don't have the highest number of coasters, couldn't they just go on about the awards their rides have received?

I wonder if Cedar Point tested Wildcat this year as I'm sure other rides are being tested at this time for Cedar Point opening day. I feel there's more to the story.

I was wondering the same thing.

The timing is weird given the amount of time between now & opening day, and since we had such a mild winter, they could have taken it down at almost any given week.

So sad, the Kitty was one of my favorite rides. Another Schwarzkopf gone to scrap, such a brilliant man with excellent rides yet few remian.

And Celebration Plaza? Do we see the emergence of distinctly labeled areas emerging yet again?

That area has always had a name, originally it was Million Dollar Midway, more recently it took the name of whatever thenightshow was.

I wonder if Cedar Point tested Wildcat this year as I'm sure other rides are being tested at this time for Cedar Point opening day. I feel there's more to the story.

I have to agree. And with opening day in 10 days, I wonder if they are going to re-print the park maps. It's on the 2012 online version:

Michael%202012-05-02%20at%201.46.06%20PM.PNG

They have to have all of the rides inspected by The State Of Ohio every year. That little sticker if you can see it near the ride ops booth tells you that the ride is good to run this year. It will say 12 on it. The year it was inspected.

I'm not happy about this. I'm quickly going through the 5 stages of grief. When I first got the email from Pointbuzz, I was angry. I'm just about to acceptance now.

WildCat was one of my must-rides when I went to CP. It, along with Disaster Transport, Cedar Downs, and in the past Chaos & Demon Drop, are what I call "non-obvious" must-rides. Sure, I love the big coasters, but these are rides that are among my favorites that a "typical" enthusiast might not necessarily hold in the same regard that I do.

I'm sad to see it go, but I knew the day would come eventually. Steel only lasts so long, and as others on here have said the past incidents probably didn't bode well. I'm among those that suspect something happened in the pre-season testing that made CP's decision to remove it a little earlier and easier for them.

• Like 1

It, along with Disaster Transport, Cedar Downs, and in the past Chaos & Demon Drop, are what I call "non-obvious" must-rides.

Best start parting with Disaster Transport and Cedar Downs then, at this rate... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Well they could have just let it stand, at least they are moving along with it, but at the same time a bit of bad planning, they could have told all the fans last year that was the end, now a good family coaster in my book, and yes with 2 mishaps, for sure, but with paddle wheeler gone now this wow Cedar Point is changing sure the midways needed a refresh but at what cost, time will tell whats next.

With the new chief in charge I would not bet the coaster count stays with Cedar Point, they will out of the fair parks have the most but maybe not as much as the Magic mountain, remember they are building one too.

Can anyone see a middle of the road coaster like our back lot coaster going to Cedar Point/???

Well good for celebration park bad for the point to lose a coaster.