Restaurant Reviews

BB1

Sigh, I knew someone was going to bring this up, so I guess I'll voice my opinion too. Being raised in a Christian family every one always expects me to be strongly against same sex marriage, but honestly I couldn't care less. You can call me a hypocrite or not a real Christian, but I don't support same sex marriage nor am I against it. I think that if someone wants to be gay, let them. It doesn't affect me in any way. It might affect my religion, but it doesn't affect me. I know what it's like when people try to cram their beliefs down other people's throats and it's annoying. So if I don't want someone doing it to me, why should I do it to them?

Edited: For a grammatical error corrected by Terpy.

A. If you could care less, you do care some. I believe you meant you couldn't care less.

B. Few would assert that sexual orientation is a choice.

C. Freedom of speech advocates support others' right to speak, especially when they do not agree with the speakers' position. It is easy to support the rights of those with which we agree.

D. It's a restaurant. An Atlanta company, at that.

• Like 1

As much as I love Chick-Fil-A's chicken, it is hard knowing that 2 cents of my meal will be benefiting an anti-gay association. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to donate to whomever they agree with. I believe the big stink is because of the fact I stated earlier, some of the profit the company makes off of you, is benefiting something I and others do not support.

Yet, when Oreo recently came out as pro-gay, I believe that those against gay marriage have just as much right as you and I to boycott and protest. While I may disagree, there is no reason I can deny a person's right to support what they believe in.

• Like 3

Ok. City Barbecue in Eastgate; it has those garage/screen doors to let out the smoke and let in the summer air. Great ambiance!

The St. Elmo Steakhouse in Downtown Indy has the best Porterhouse in the world; love it everytime I go. Sullivan's Steakhouse, up in Keystone Crossing, gives it a run for their money, though! It's no Carlo & Johnny's by any stretch, but man, when out on the road, nothing beats a great slab o' meat. Winner: St. Elmo's.

• Like 2

Regarding chik-fil-a. Sexual preference has less to do with the protests than intolerance of someone different.

Don't be intolerant.... someone won't like it!

Plus they don't honor the free drink wristbands. So they suck largely in my book.

• Like 1

Ok. City Barbecue in Eastgate; it has those garage/screen doors to let out the smoke and let in the summer air. Great ambiance!

I think I said this earlier in the thread; City Barbecue is AWESOME! A very underrated restaurant. Best ribs besides Montgomery Inn, IMO.

• Like 2

When you go to Montgomery Inn, you NEED to get the Ribs King Hoagie. The delicious rib meat, without the mess, on the best hoagie bun I've ever tasted! It's also much cheaper, and you get a heaping load of Haystack Onions. YUM!

Add on a Caramel Lava Cake, and you have my final meal request.

• Like 1

I'm not gay, but have friends who are. I must say, they are very brave souls for going through with what they have to. I'm a strong supporter in them, and hope they do well in life.

I feel bad that we live in a world where you say you don't like homophobes, so people automatically assume you're gay.

Have a nice night.

• Like 3

Barbecue is VERY subjective. Cincinnati only has a couple of BBQ restaurants I'd shell out full price for - Pit to Plate and Just Q'in in Newtown. Most of the BBQ places in town have some items on their menu I like (Eli's pulled pork, SmoQ's wings and pulled pork to name but a few) but the overall quality and consistency of most places in town is very hit or miss.

I didn't appreciate what I liked in BBQ until I started cooking on my own. You start noticing a lot of subtleties in flavors that go beyond descriptions of "this is good". You start to know why it's good. You appreciate good brisket because you realize that it's really difficult to cook properly and have it taste good too. I'm firmly of the belief that most BBQ restaurants can't compete with a good backyard cook simply due to the fact that food hot from the smoker is generally much better than food that's been sitting in a warmer for hours. That's also the reason why I'll tend to go to BBQ places when it's likely to be really busy so that you're getting the freshest stuff.

• Like 1

If you think City BBQ is good BBQ, than you simply have never had GOOD BBQ. The food I make in my backyard is far superior. CIty BBQ is bland, rubbery, and lacks all the mainstays of quality BBQ. Smoke rings. Homemade sauce. Their sauce is bottle sauce, their mac and cheese is frozen.

I make my own ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, mac and cheese, my homemade sauce is still ever changing, but getting close to perfection.

BBQ is subjective, but subjective or not, City BBQ is the most flavorless one will ever taste.

Then again, folks still go to Applebees, Fridays, and the like, which are all cesspools.

Been told to visit Fat Matt's, but have yet to make the pit stop on my way thru. Perhaps this spring I will have the time, and be coming thru Hotlanta at the right time of day.

I just can't fathom the idea of getting off the highway there. How anyone that lives there can deal with that traffic on a daily basis is beyond me. I would either have to take public transportation, or shoot someone on the highway.

If you think City BBQ is good BBQ, than you simply have never had GOOD BBQ. The food I make in my backyard is far superior. CIty BBQ is bland, rubbery, and lacks all the mainstays of quality BBQ. Smoke rings. Homemade sauce. Their sauce is bottle sauce, their mac and cheese is frozen.

I make my own ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, mac and cheese, my homemade sauce is still ever changing, but getting close to perfection.

BBQ is subjective, but subjective or not, City BBQ is the most flavorless one will ever taste.

Then again, folks still go to Applebees, Fridays, and the like, which are all cesspools.

Have to heartily disagree there unless you're visiting a City BBQ that's of lower quality than the 2 I frequent (Centerville and Beavercreek). I've been smoking my own meats for a couple years now, but still have not gotten mine to be close to the flavor of City BBQ. Now, I'm no expert and have not been across the country to other joints, but I know what tastes good to me. I know their meats have smoke rings (I've seen them....or else that pink is undercooked meat, but we all know it's the smoke). Sauce doesn't concern me. If it's good BBQ you shouldn't need sauce, which is what I find at City BBQ. And the sides...again, those don't seem to flavor the pulled pork that I eat.

My little brother, on the other hand, has been all over the country and has had BBQ everywhere (he's a storm chaser). He swears by City BBQ's pulled pork (as do I); though he says his favorite ribs are in a place out in Oklahoma. Again, subjective, but I know bad BBQ: Oink-a-doodle-Moo's comes straight to mind. There was a BBQ place around the corner from me in Kettering that boiled their meats, added smoke flavor and called it BBQ (gross). That place went out of business last year. I've heard that Company 7 up in Englewood is pretty good, but haven't made it up there yet. Anyway, I'm just stating the case that when it comes to City BBQ, I'm not going to back down. The place is gold for true BBQ.

• Like 1

I feel so lucky to have a City BBQ sitting literally right next to a Graeter's. Both within a couple blocks from my school, too! :)

What exactly is a hush puppy? City BBQ (which I echo TTD's thoughts on) has them, and they're really good, but I have no idea what's in them!

Oh, man. This is making me hungry for an experience I enjoyed at Quinns-on-the-Beach in Marco Island, Florida a couple years back: A heaping basket of piping-hot, flaky, crunchy fish n' chips, dipped in tangy, cool, fresh ketchup, chased down with a sparkling, crisp, frosty glass of ice-cold Coca-Cola with just a twist of lemon; served with oversized hush puppies (which I think they don't have anymore) and some of the most amazing sweet coleslaw I ever tried. ... I'm gnawing on my pen. Be right back... I'm going over to Long John Silver's :wub:

• Like 2

The only CIty BBQ I have ever had the misfortune to eat from is the one in Hyde Park Plaza. Have had their food, pulled pork, beef brisket, mac and cheese/slaw on three different occasions catered here at work.

An absolute waste of good money, though the first time they brought it for free for fixing their delivery van, and the other two times were banks catering for our business.

The brisket you could bounce off the floor, and was devoid of any discernable flavor. The pulled pork was decent, not good, but the sauce was just sad. Kraft? Bullseye?

The vinegar slaw is OK, but of all I've had, would rank it last.

The mac and cheese was, by far, the most tasteless dish of that type I have ever eaten. Kraft out of the box is better.

There is a place right down the street here on Madison Rd, called BBQ Revue, it puts City BBQ to shame. Not my favorite, but, the brisket is done right, the pork/chicken is moist and flavorful, and the ribs are pretty good.

The thing with brisket, as you will know if you've smoked one yourself, when it is bad, it is BAD. City BBQ's, all three times, was just plain bad.

So much so that I would never spend a dime of my money in there, and it is a two minute drive from my work place, I eat lunch 3 or 4 days a week out, and I am a BBQ nut.

So when are you inviting me over for a cookout? :)

^I, too, LOVE their Mac and Cheese.

What I want to do sometime is to go to one of those BBQ places that they show during the Alabama football games. Those places look nuts. 3 hour waits to just get in the door? I need to try it sometime.