Ambient music

Balloondoggle

Was at the park yesterday and had to shout for my friend to hear me several times over the annoying music that was played. Specifically over by the Snake Pit and the area between Rivertown Junction and the White Water Canyon entrance come to mind. There were other places through the park as well. I'm not really a shouter so at times I'd have to stop talking until we passed a loud spot and then continue so that I wouldn't have to yell.

This is exactly the thing I'm talking about. All questions of the quality of the music aside, the volume is too high in too many places.

I was in the park for about 4 hours last week, and about 80% of the time some really sad-sounding stuff was being blasted out over the speakers; minor chord progressions, funeralistic and somber tones with growling, angst-ridden lyrics that finally depressed me enough to want to leave.

So they were playing Nickelback?

• Like 3

Personally, I don't mind the music. The only time I thought that the music was super loud was when I was eating at the tables near Coney Skyline the other day. Actually, I really like it when they play songs from the 90's and early 2000's. :)

I think those speakers are louder because they're the ones used for Starlight Spectacular.

The game hawkers can't be heard? Gee, what a shame. The loud hawking is one of the few things that really annoy me about Kings Island. That and the firm, strident pressure to buy (also seen at the front gate with the photo takers).

I personally agree. If you stand at the point in Coney Mall where you turn to off to go toward FOF/Firehawk, (the spot around the Bell Striker and Guess Your Weight) there is NO HOPE in having a conversation (deafening) until you're past that area or get down to under The Racer Track. It's a HeadAche Zone!!!

I have a burning hate for pop music/newer rap. If I had it my way, I'd play classic and light rock through out the park and themed music where it's necessary. But since there are a lot of younger people who go to the park, who are growing up listening to pop music, they won't want to listen to much rock. So it's all about finding a median, which will never be easy.

Personally, I wish the park would play more songs like this.

Or maybe the Black Keys, which is a modern rock band that takes a classic style.

^^BIG ELO fan here. Big fan!

I agree about the modern music trends; however, there are still some great, lively and upbeat hits from across the last five or so years that I don't mind hearing over the speakers ("Hey Soul Sister," "Fireflies," "Firework," "I Get a Good Feeling," "Hollywood," and others of that kind... stuff that doesn't sound 'sad').

I agree with KI1972, that area is terrible! I also can't stand the middle of Action Zone. Rivertown is usually pretty quiet which I love! I love being able to hear the screams of guests on Invertigo as I walk up to the park but once I get in I'm blasted with Katy Perry.... It would be fine if it wasn't so loud! It needs to be strictly ambience, along with lift hill chains, and screams.

What about going back to having each area having their own music to reflect the themed aspect? IS having French accordion music; Coney having rag time music, Octoberfest having German music, Action Zone have light pop; Rivertown having country music, and of course Planet Snoopy have cartoon and children music; and Soak City having Beachboy or 60's music. That is the way it was when KI first opened in 1972. The music was in the background and could be felt and not heard like at a rock concert.

• Like 2

What about going back to having each area having their own music to reflect the themed aspect? IS having French accordion music; Coney having rag time music, Octoberfest having German music, Action Zone have light pop; Rivertown having country music, and of course Planet Snoopy have cartoon and children music; and Soak City having Beachboy or 60's music. That is the way it was when KI first opened in 1972. The music was in the background and could be felt and not heard like at a rock concert.

I would love for this to happen again. That's one reason why I love parks like Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Busch Gardens and Disneyworld. They feel like you're entering a whole different world and not just an amusement park. Now keeping in mind that Kings Island is a seasonable park I don't expect anything like Disney or Universal. But sprucing up the areas to how they used to be would still be a great change.

• Like 1

Why not take it a step further. Get a list of 1,000+ songs that are family friendly (ie no cusing or language that can't be played over the radio) and include as perk the ability to select the song list for any given day. 2 perks/area per day, 10 songs per perk, giving you a rotation of 20 different songs each day in each area on rotation.

Maybe you lock in the set list for International street, & Planet Snoopy. Perhaps even octoberfest if you stick to some sort of german theme (all scorpion, all the time :), but make Action Zone, the Coney Mall, Soak City, Rivertown & X-Base up for a choose a song rotation perk on a first come basis. Imagine knowing you could spend the day riding Diamondback & The Beast and hear your favorite songs all day long. I would think something like that would be a pretty popular perk.

• Like 1

I love this idea, but would opt for 'summer' music for Soak City - last year's soundtrack was *much* too short and repeated very often.

Why not take it a step further. Get a list of 1,000+ songs that are family friendly (ie no cusing or language that can't be played over the radio) and include as perk the ability to select the song list for any given day. 2 perks/area per day, 10 songs per perk, giving you a rotation of 20 different songs each day in each area on rotation.

I think this would be a great idea :)