Valleyfair's Dinosaurs Alive 2013

This makes me wonder something......If Cedar Point announced Gatekeeper already, CGA announced Gold striker, WoF announced DA, Valleyfair announced Dinosaurs Alive, Kings Dominion plans on announcing something new this month, and besides KBF and a few other Cedar Fair parks, that leaves Kings Island without any annoucements of new anything. Do you guys think KI will get anything new?

• Like 1

Just found something that I thought was interesting. I went over to Valleyfair's Facebook page to read the obligatory Dinosaurs Alive! complaining, and under one post by someone who claimed they wouldn't visit until a B & M was added, in the long list of comments someone posted:

I've heard Dino's Alive at KI has already paid itself off. Name a Beemer that was able to pay for itself.

And Valleyfair liked the comment, I found it funny, but I do have a strange sense of humor sometimes.

• Like 2

Guest TombraiderTy

I find it comical that the public's response to Dinosaurs Alive! on Valleyfair's facebook page is identical to the response on Kings Island's, Cedar Point's, etc. - "you guys are making a mistake", "this is dumb", "you should invest in a roller coaster instead", etc. Yet the dinosaurs are obviously profitable, or else they wouldn't continually be added to the parks.

• Like 3

I find it comical that the public's response to Dinosaurs Alive! on Valleyfair's facebook page is identical to the response on Kings Island's, Cedar Point's, etc. - "you guys are making a mistake", "this is dumb", "you should invest in a roller coaster instead", etc. Yet the dinosaurs are obviously profitable, or else they wouldn't continually be added to the parks.

Well, if you brand something with "new" people will go to it. Also people are bound to go to it, all of the lines are full, its hot, so they go to the DA! For FUN and ssuch.

The question I've had, and haven't seen answered other than my own observation, is how popular is DA in 2012 @ Kings Island? Its always struck me as a "see it once, no need to see it again" type attraction. If it paid itself off in the 1st year, well that's great b/c my regular mid week trips in the evening never saw much activity in the DA area or gift shop. Granted, an evening Mid-week might not be the best example, so if saturday afternoons DA is as hoping this season as it was last year, I'd love to see it.

If it can pay itself off in 1 year, then provide a small profit in year 2, 3, etc... until their lease is up, then its a win/win for the park. It doesn't take a ton of development, they'll get a decent splash for families w/ young children and then turn it around for something else. And that may well indeed be the exact idea they're aiming for. A new B&M coaster is suppossed to last the park 20+ years, so the payback can be longer. Perhaps the DA are truely only meant to last until the lease expires (2018 is what I heard, don't know if that's true) then allow them to make a different bang in same area w/ minimal amount of deconstruction costs.

• Like 1