Season Passes

fanofFirehawk

If I renew my Gold Pass for 2014, then next summer, if I decide that I have the time and money to do some travelling to other parks, is it true I can just pay the difference and turn my Gold into Platinum at any time?

Yes, you'll pay the difference between what you actually paid for the gold pass and the then-current price of a platinum pass. So if you upgrade next year, your total cost will be equal to whatever the full price of platinum is next year. As others have said, it would be cheaper to buy platinum now while it's on sale if you think there is a strong chance that you will get to other Cedar Fair parks next year.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

Problem is, husband does not like to make plans much ahead of time. I'd hate to spend the extra money and then not actually go anywhere else. And we'd have to go what, at least 3 days to another park to make it worthwhile? And multiply the cost times 4 for each family member.

Wasn't it a few years ago that there wasn't 'platinum' passes, but the gold pass was automatically good for all the different parks? 6 years ago, my husband was laid off and we had the pass to go to multiple parks, so while we didn't have so much money, we had a little more time, we packed up the camper and visited 2 or 3 of the parks.

I'm with the others - CP is only 3 hours up the road - you can do it impromptu, crash one night, drive home the next evening and you'll more than have made your money back.

• Like 2

Just go to Cedar Point every month and maybe take a trip or 2 to KD and we will make it worth it... Trust me.

Yeah, listen to your son. :P

Seriously, though, don't think that saving on admission is the only way to get your money's worth out of the upgrade difference. The ability to get ERT at CP without staying on site is worth part of that difference. If you're the kind that prefers to stay on site at CP, Platinum Passes can get you a 10% discount off the standard rates at all CP resorts except Lighthouse Point and Camper Village.

I'd say that two days at CP would be enough for me to feel that I've gotten my money's worth. Drive up in the morning, spend the afternoon and evening in park, crash somewhere for the night, get to the park in time for ERT the next morning, and stay until mid-afternoon before heading home.

• Like 4

I'm on the fence at this point about next year. I know at the very least that I'll get a gold pass, but I'm leaning more towards platinum. I'm having trouble justifying in forking out the extra dough for the platinum pass.

I recently purchased a new car (2013 Ford Focus, new with only 580 miles). I've been wanting to get up to Cedar Point BAD and have never been, but with the old car that I had, 235k miles and all, I didn't want to chance driving that distance. Next year I'm determined to get up there for the first time.

My question is, should I pay the extra amount or just stick with the gold pass? The installment option has me interested. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I'm on the fence at this point about next year. I know at the very least that I'll get a gold pass, but I'm leaning more towards platinum. I'm having trouble justifying in forking out the extra dough for the platinum pass.

I recently purchased a new car (2013 Ford Focus, new with only 580 miles). I've been wanting to get up to Cedar Point BAD and have never been, but with the old car that I had, 235k miles and all, I didn't want to chance driving that distance. Next year I'm determined to get up there for the first time.

My question is, should I pay the extra amount or just stick with the gold pass? The installment option has me interested. Thoughts?

I think you should get the Platinum Pass if you think you'll be heading to Cedar Point more often than once or twice, you can 10% off at onsite hotels only way to get free parking so there are a lot of pluses to getting it. But ultimately it is up to you and whether or not you think you'll be heading there. You can also go to any other Cedar Fair park, Kings Dominion, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds ect.

Well if your going to more than 2 you should definitely get it. Living in Indy Canada's Wonderland is like 7 hours away so that isn't to far, and Kings Dominion might be a longer trip, for me that is, but those are all awesome parks. You go to all of the "Ring of Gigas"(Cedar Point: Millennium Force, Canada's Wonderland: Leviathan, Kings Dominion: Intimidator 305) that hopefully Kings Island will soon be included in.

Some states (and all Canadian provinces) will issue an "enhanced" driver license for a small additional charge. This is good for land/water crossings between the US and Canada, eliminating the need to possess a passport or passport card.

Unfortunately, Ohio has never got on board.

I would also exchange your American dollars for Canadian dollars in the States and be warn of fees on your credit/debit card use.

Some cards are better than others, and exchanging cash can be more difficult (and expensive) than you might think. Check currency conversion fees on your card(s) before you go.

• Like 1

I'm on the east side of Cincinnati so probably about the same up to Canada's Wonderland. 4-5ish hours up I-75 to Detroit then across into Canada?

If you instead go past Erie and Buffalo, there are a couple nice little parks with some fun wooden coasters (Waldameer and Martin's Fantasy Island). Even if you don't want to spend much time or money, Waldameer offers pay per ride tickets and no entrance fee. Ravine Flyer II is highly regarded.

That route would add about 30 miles.

• Like 3

States do not issue passports, only the US Department of State issues them. The US requires all people entering the country to possess a valid passport. Also check with your auto and health insurance policies as to coverage in Canada. Most should be no problem when traveling there. Check with both the Department of State and with Canada as to requirements and policies.

• Like 1

Never bought a season pass before due to the ~2 hr one-way drive but I'm really contemplating a gold pass for next year for me and the wife. I figure if we make at least 3 trips (one this year) we will be saving money and the 3 trips is highly likely given the opening of Banshee. I know for a fact I will be hitting up Cedar Point once next year due to a car show I'm attending in northern Ohio but the numbers just don't seem to add up to justify a platinum pass. I realize if we made another trip to a Cedar Fair park the savings would be evident but darn....I hate to spend more money to justify saving money.

Decisions....decisions.

• Like 4

^ The platinum pass currently costs about $95 more than a Kings Island gold pass. For just one visit to another park, you'd be better off with a single day ticket. If you think you might visit other Cedar Fair park(s) as well, it might be worth it. (Depending on your location, you might consider a Dollywood, Holiday World, SeaWorld Parks, or SIX season pass in lieu of FUN platinum.)

If you wanted unlimited visits to just Kings Island and Kings Dominion, you'd actually be better off buying a separate gold pass for each.

What is the best way to get to Cedar Point from Cincinnati?

Take I-75 up to Bowling Green and take 6 from there to Sandusky or take I-71? What do you all do when you head up there?

There's some discussion on routes to Cedar Point here: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27347-be-careful-when-driving-to-cedar-point/