Cedar Fair vs Theming

SonofBaconator

You see theming with Banshee? The station, yes, but no more or less than Diamondback or Firehawk or Maverick.

Cedar Fair honestly hasn't been terrible at intra-ride theming in the past, where they actually decided to go for it. Maverick has - really - a decent attempt at theming, and it's successful (or was back when the launch tunnel worked). If all of Cedar Fair's additions strived even to match that level, I'd be happy. In the case of Banshee, that'd probably mean a few graveyards back in the woods, some red eyes and fog at night, zero-G rolls over old cracked tombstones, brushing past old bare trees, and a mausoleum tunnel or two.

What Ouimet probably meant is that his parks will never be Disney parks. They won't have immersive themed environments that cost hundreds of millions of dollars. That's not the clientele of these parks. Regional parks with a regional budget. A family ride at Kings Island is WindSeeker or Dinosaurs Alive. It might take the form of a reasonably-budgeted dark ride, but it won't be Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror or Radiator Springs Racers. And when Cedar Fair builds a roller coaster, it's Banshee, not Big Thunder Mountain. It just is what it is.

I agree with Terp - it's too early to tell where his evolution will lead. But I think we can safely say none of the Cedar Fair parks will ever get an Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man or a Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey or a Cars Land.

• Like 10

At this point in my life, I think "Amusement Park theme" is enough.

Disney's marketing is in the theming, They sell stuff with it, But I don't think there's anything grander than a lit, running carousel, lights along The Racer, the WindSeeker looks fantastic. I like strings of lights, and blinking signs.

I get nostalgic for the way a midway looks like, for real, without all the extra theming.

I'd like to see again the corny paper mache look of a Haunted House, or even goofy things like the Bavarian Beetle mascot.

Just because a movie company ties their marketing in with their rides, doesn't mean Cedar Faire has to do the same.

(Anyone see the movie "Adventureland?" I'd love to visit Kennywood, it looks so old fashioned.)

• Like 8

I think theming will progress a little better as time goes on (not Disney/Universal level). I think we could see a theming level of Paramount again (without movie/tv show names).

Wonder what Ouiment thinks of Planet Snoopy at the parks? Has he renewed the contract with the company for snoopy since he has been in CEO of CF or is it about to end soon or is it good for like another 5+ years?

I believe Ouimet has stated that they are focusing more on beautiful areas and experiences. Gatekeeper's plaza, along with the new front gate, shows that.

We will never see Expedition Everest theming at KI, but ride areas that are immersive and aesthetically pleasing are probably going to be the norm.

• Like 5

I would like to see an improvement in quality of shows in the park. Instead of 7 or 8 (I think?) shows bring it down to 3 or 4 and improve the quality of the shows. Maybe do a comedy show possibly mixed with a musical (family showings at 1pm 3pm and 5pm PG 13 showings at 7pm and 9pm). A peanuts show. Popular music 70's 80's 90's and now. For the last show have a show with animals doing tricks. (Like cats and dogs parrot's etc.)

Do a night show like Canada's Wonderland. Lasers fireworks water effects lighting effects and some projector's all synced together for one final show of the night at the park.

All shows would be 30min long execpt end of the night show which is 15min long.

The reason for offering a "PG 13" show is to have some variety. Theirs times im at the park and would like to enjoy a more mature show (or less depending on how you see it :) ).

Note: yes I know this is 5 shows. I mean 3 or 4 shows with live actors.

• Like 2

Oh how I long for heavy theme at Kings Island, I will be honest I love to ride coasters and the big thrill ones but I really love to ride ones with a theme throughout like Manta. I know they go up high but so much more can be done with themes along the way to immerse one in the coaster experience. To me Beast was themed well back in its early days. Running so close to the tree lines through tunnels and oh my goodness the station was a thing of beauty.

Count me in to honestly say my visits would be more frequent if the theme aspects improve.

• Like 4

I would think an amusement park can be upgraded (or downgraded depending on how you see it) to a theme park. It's what Paramount was doing. Then a theme park can be downgraded (or upgraded depending on how you see it) to an amusement park. It's what Mr.Kinzel was doing. Now we might be going back to theme park‚ shoot maybe a mix!

Huh? Taft/KECO and even Mr. Lindner built a beautiful theme\show park.

Paramount ignored the existing themeing willy-nilly. Put OL:FOF right smack dab in Old Coney. Basically devastated Oktoberfest. Took out the Happy Land of Hanna Barbera and replaced it with Nick. Decimated Rivertown.

Paramount did NOT theme the park, unless the theme was Hodge Podge Mess. THAT, they were good at.

• Like 14

Huh? Taft/KECO and even Mr. Lindner built a beautiful theme\show park.

Paramount ignored the existing themeing willy-nilly. Put OL:FOF right smack dab in Old Coney. Basically devastated Oktoberfest. Took out the Happy Land of Hanna Barbera and replaced it with Nick. Decimated Rivertown.

Paramount did NOT theme the park, unless the theme was Hodge Podge Mess. THAT, they were good at.

Sorry, I mean for the most part they were into theming each ride. They gave most of their rides a movie kind of feel. As time went on during Kinzel the ride theming got striped. (I understand some had to be because they didn't buy movie rights or anything). Like lights in FoF as they quit working they weren't replaced and some things with BLSC. Although They tried a little retheming of The Crypt right before it was removed (I think Kinzel was still CEO then?)...

Terpy, you are right they took out a lot of theming too.

• Like 3

I would like them to just scrap the guns, half them don't work, so I would just like to go through and experience something. If they could do something as awesome as MIB one at universal I might be able to tolerate.

I am also kind of confused, because Mr Ouimet said that we would focus more on placing than theming and I don't really see how Banshee fits under the "Action Zone" theme or area. I hope this is part of a long term plan, but Mr. Ouimet so far in his carrier for Disney and his Cedar Fair he has been exceptional, so please, please Mr. Ouimet be awesome.

• Like 2