KI Throwback Photo of The Day

TheBEASTunchained

I am glad that pool is gone. In the 70's we didn't know as much about cetacean care like today so back then those facilities were considered "acceptable". Glad they are not by today's standards. I Think Hershey Park is the only one that still has their tank, which is identical to the ones that used to be at KI and KD (and probably Canada's Wonderland), however Hershey no longer displays dolphins. (their former dolphins now live in the Bahamas)

• Like 3

CP's wouldn't be ideal for more than 2 dolphins, (since it was just a tad larger in depth) it certainly isn't large enough to raise a baby in though, all dolphins need to be able to swim in a straight line so the baby can nurse more effectively and all those tanks were way too round. KD actually did have a calf born there in 1986 but he didn't live more than a day. (on the MMIR I have for KD they listed cause of death as pneumonia for the calf) CP had a lot of algae in their pool for a bit as well, while algae is more than abundant in the wild so it doesn't actually hurt the dolphins themselves, it just didn't look good for the customers. Of course in the 80's-90's I don't think a lot of people cared then, but if it was like that today, CP probably face their own sh*tstorm like SeaWorld is now.

I got into a debate with a activists over CP's awhile back. I got my issues with it but I know algae don't kill the animals. This particular activist was a perfect example of one who can not make up their minds...a pool covered with algae (which is everywhere in the wild, I know), or a pool so clean the animals get sunburns from the sunlight penetrating the surface.

I feel like I am hijacking a thread about KI so here is a throwback.

5239349540_547f55baa2_z.jpg
kingsisland7 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 13

^ I remember what used to sit there. I would make a point of walking through that thing every time I walked through that path.

I remember countless times of walking through that old water fountain, it reminded me heavily of Water Works too. It brings back good memories, some I believe were best caught in the dusk of July, dozing off in Crocodile Run under the looming bushes beside you, and the old water fountain, it was just perfect in that time.

• Like 4

That's the thing, Boomerang Bay was spacious. I felt like I was walking the whole Australian continent when I was there, and I felt like it was secluded in the woods away from Kings Island itself. I could walk around the Crocodile Run with family in the river to see where they wanted to go next, and at the same time relax in the river as I slowly rolled down the miami, something I cannot do anymore. I knew every chip, dip, and turn in Boomerang Bay, hence why I am an enthusiast of it, and why I probably talk more about the waterpark than the community. I gave a friend a tour of what once was at Soak City as Boomerang Bay, it is a great experience in my life that I will never forget. I love Boomerang Bay, I will never forget it, and probably be the first, and last enthusiast who discusses it this much.

• Like 9

I believe the trams were removed after the 2002 season.

The tram circle remains.

I seem to remember them being there through 2004 or so, as I remember riding one back to the campground (simply out of curiosity) about a year before I started working there. I remember applying for a job at the campground, only to learn that the campground wasn't opening that year.

• Like 3

I was going through some of my dad's old photo albums recently and came across this photo. This is a picture of my sister and me at KI in the late 80s. I'm on the right (what was I thinking with that outfit?) and my sister is on the left. The little girl in the middle is now my step-niece.

kingsisland.jpg

• Like 13