KI to Hire over 5,000 jobs for 2018

6 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

I just got hired for Rides. I will be operating the Drop Tower and The Bat. What are some things to expect? Does becoming a ride operator mean I will be able to actually drive the rides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to be 18 or older to drive the coasters. If you're younger, you're good to work every position except drive.

Rides is a great department, and you're going to have a lot of fun!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

I just got hired for Rides. I will be operating the Drop Tower and The Bat. What are some things to expect? Does becoming a ride operator mean I will be able to actually drive the rides?

I'm not sure if Drop Tower has the 18+ requirement to drive the ride like The Bat, but generally they try to reward the better employees by training them to drive or operate the main control panel of the ride.  They will start by training the returners from the last year and then as staffing needs change, they will start training the new operators.

Also, there will likely be opportunities for you to get sent to another ride group, which is a nice change of pace.

Just come in with a positive attitude every day and it'll work out!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

Expect the best job you'll ever have! But it is important to remember you get back what you put into the job. Most people that enjoy their job in Rides are the ones that put in the most effort. Also, ride operators of any age can be eligible to drive Drop Tower, but expect to squeeze a lot of guests into those seats first!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I'm not sure if Drop Tower has the 18+ requirement to drive the ride like The Bat, but generally they try to reward the better employees by training them to drive or operate the main control panel of the ride.  They will start by training the returners from the last year and then as staffing needs change, they will start training the new operators.

Also, there will likely be opportunities for you to get sent to another ride group, which is a nice change of pace.

Just come in with a positive attitude every day and it'll work out!

Oh, so I won't be stuck on one ride group all year?

• Like 1

Here is how it works Bansheeback (I'm sure I'll see you plenty as i'll be a next door neighbor at Banshee!)

When it comes to two ride crews, you are typically at one ride for no more than 2 hours at a time. You rotate positions every hour, around the 45 minute mark for breaks and such. If other rides in the park are low on their numbers (staffing) They will send people from other rides over to be trained or to help out. It happens a lot in the early season, and especially at the end of the year when numbers become very low due to people leaving for school/college, etc. 

Drop and Bat are one of the more different rides since The Bat is very easy accommodating for larger guests, while Drop Tower is not. So like everyone else is saying, expect to work on your strength!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CoasterOhio said:

Here is how it works Bansheeback (I'm sure I'll see you plenty as i'll be a next door neighbor at Banshee!)

When it comes to two ride crews, you are typically at one ride for no more than 2 hours at a time. You rotate positions every hour, around the 45 minute mark for breaks and such. If other rides in the park are low on their numbers (staffing) They will send people from other rides over to be trained or to help out. It happens a lot in the early season, and especially at the end of the year when numbers become very low due to people leaving for school/college, etc. 

Drop and Bat are one of the more different rides since The Bat is very easy accommodating for larger guests, while Drop Tower is not. So like everyone else is saying, expect to work on your strength!

Glad to hear there are other KIC members operating rides too! One more question, I promise! Does my assignment to Bat and Drop Tower mean that will be my permanent assignment all year? Or could I be moved to other rides as a team member, if they became understaffed? I am very excited and eager to get started, operating rides has been something I wanted to do for a long time!

• Like 2

I second that! I picked up a few shifts at Drop/Bat and Tower last year, and they were fun! I even called Drop/Bat my "second home ride" even though I wasn't there nearly as much as I was at Windex.

I'm planning on getting retrained at Drop/Bat this season, and hopefully pick up enough shifts to maybe even get drive trained at one (or both)!

-BFF, who would love to drive The Bat. :D

• Like 5

I second that! I picked up a few shifts at Drop/Bat and Tower last year, and they were fun! I even called Drop/Bat my "second home ride" even though I wasn't there nearly as much as I was at Windex.
I'm planning on getting retrained at Drop/Bat this season, and hopefully pick up enough shifts to maybe even get drive trained at one (or both)!
-BFF, who would love to drive The Bat.

Awesome! I hope to see you around!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I would certainly hope they close rides if they do not have sufficient trained staff to run them.  

I think that's pretty obvious.

The department generally has enough people to cover all their needs, plus they'll have the area managers, who aren't assigned to a ride, plus full timers as back ups if need be.

There are certain times in the season (when the park is open, but high schools are still in) that they will make accommodations for non-rides employees to be trained.  For example, in one of my seasons in park services, I would spend the first couple hours of my shift driving Vortex, because I had been a supervisor at that ride for a while in the past, and I was familiar with it.  I still underwent all the same training.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2018 at 5:50 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Attrition has been a big problem at KI for some time.  I think they are hiring more people simply because they want to account for the many the fall off by June.

I've never worked for KI so I can't speak with much authority.  I know the work is hard, but those who do it absolutely live for it.  If you're on the fence, give it a shot!

It's like that during Haunt too. 90% are teens, and 50% of them will be gone by the 3rd or 4th week. In my 6 years of doing Haunt, i've seen that. 

• Like 3

^That reminds me...I actually have a crew-mate whom I never met. She worked the first few weeks of the season (I believe until late May) then left. Since she left before I finished the school year (and I had worked only three shifts before then) I never got to see, meet, or work with her.

It saddens me a little how a lot of fellow associates leave after 3 or 4 weeks...I wonder if it's because of the novelty wearing off, or something else...

• Like 2

I was rehired back to the Tenders (Mystic). During my interview, they recommended me to work at Mystic. I was in shocked because it was the brand new ride and I was a 1st year.  When we had training 2 weeks before the park opened we couldn't even touch the ride. We did all our training standing at greeter. When Passpreview night happened, it was a brand new experience for everyone. No one on the crew even checked bars with people on the train. I actually didn't get to ride Mystic till opening day when I went as a guest.  I have created so many memories and became friends with everyone on my crew.  The hours are long, since Mystic is ERT, I have to be there at 8:45 am while other rides it is 9:20am.  I have spent so many hours at the island during the summer and can't wait for it again. This is the one job, that I love going to.  I know my supervisor will help me or even back me up.  The job teaches you to get thick skin and how to deal with guest. I can't tell how many times I have been cussed out this past summer.  I even went back for Winterfest but sadly Mystic was closed for the last week. Can't wait for this summer :)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, VortexBFForever said:

^I'm thinking of getting trained on Mystic Timbers this year!

I just hope that greeter isn't too stressful, especially when telling guests they must put their bags in a locker...

Honestly, if staffing is good which it is during summer, we have 2 greeters. Anything at mystic can get stressful *cough cough* Separator.  Separator is the main cause of problems.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 7:16 PM, VortexBFForever said:

^I'm thinking of getting trained on Mystic Timbers this year!

I just hope that greeter isn't too stressful, especially when telling guests they must put their bags in a locker...

I don't understand why people complain to the staff about it. It's not your decision. You all just enforce it. I honestly feel bad for the greeters on Banshee sometimes for that reason. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

I don't understand why people complain to the staff about it. It's not your decision. You all just enforce it. I honestly feel bad for the greeters on Banshee sometimes for that reason. 

I've had people spit on my face three times, one time at each of the bagless rides. I can't believe how riled up about it people get. Mildly upset? I gotcha, I am too when I come to the park as a guest. But I'd never make such a scene that security has to drag me away.

• Like 4

I've had people spit on my face three times, one time at each of the bagless rides. I can't believe how riled up about it people get. Mildly upset? I gotcha, I am too when I come to the park as a guest. But I'd never make such a scene that security has to drag me away.
People are rude. You have more patience than I do. I would have punched them if they spit in my face.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, mayaman2 said:

48 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

People are rude. You have more patience than I do. I would have punched them if they spit in my face.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I probably would have broken down and started crying, or at least come close to it (as I am extremely sensitive). Honestly, the only thing that scares me when I think about possibly getting trained at Mystic and Banshee is possibly having to deal with those aforementioned instances. I shouldn't let it stop me from getting trained there, though...

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

It was very tempting, but something even more satisfying is keeping your cool, calling security, and watching people get banned from the park for 2-3 years because of their behavior. I quite like my job and dealing with those situations just gives you some cred with the supervisors and area supervisors.

• Like 3

It was very tempting, but something even more satisfying is keeping your cool, calling security, and watching people get banned from the park for 2-3 years because of their behavior. I quite like my job and dealing with those situations just gives you some cred with the supervisors and area supervisors.

I can’t even believe people would be so rude, especially at a place that is meant to be fun! It just goes to show how mad people get when they’re told any form of “no”!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jtro223 said:

Wow.  That is unbelievable.  Did you file charges?  Technically, the guest has committed battery.  (Assault, too, if they threatened you.)

No. Call me timid, but I felt like that would be more trouble than it's worth. They were already banned from the park for 2-5 years (they varied), and I was a minor for the first two, so it'd involve my parents (who I'm not fond of), etc. Now, if they had actually attacked me, that'd be different.

• Like 3

my supervisor was shoved by a guest due to a bag.  Usually, most people aren't too bad about it. Just the rude stand out.  I guessed one dude got kicked out of the line for being drunk and as he came out he took my height stick and threw it in the bushes. I kinda just stood there and was really confused.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2