Pick one chain to buy out Fun Spot

Buying out Fun Spot  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I cannot see Disney or Universal touching it.  Six Flags is not in a financial position to do so.  That leaves 3, Cedar Fair, Herschend, and Sea World.  I could make an argument for why it could make sense for any of those 3.  But would management at any of them consider it, I have my doubts.  Also I really believe no one would want Fun Spot Atlanta, it has plenty of protentional but almost no one wants to deal with the expense of building a park from almost nothing.

I honestly don't feel like any of the Fun Spot parks make sense within any major seasonal operator's portfolio. They're closer to roadside tourist attractions (like miniature golf, Ripley's Believe It or Not, etc.) than traditional amusement parks, in my opinion.

That being said, if I had to choose, Fun Spot Orlando has the closest aesthetics to a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park, so probably them. If Disney or (especially) Universal were to buy it, I think it'd be to shut it down and sell the assets. But I also think it hardly dents the attendance at either, so it's a moot point on that front.

Fun Spot Kissimmee is closer to that roadside attraction aesthetic than the Orlando park. Honestly, if I were to pick someone to buy it, I'd probably choose the family that owns ZDT's Amusement Park in Seguin, Texas. The Kissimmee park feels like a moderately bigger version of that park.

I haven't been to Fun Spot Atlanta, but based off what I understand secondhand of it, it seems pretty similar in size and aesthetics to the Kissimmee park.

• Like 1

I've never been to any of the Fun Spot parks, but the only one I could really see purchasing them is Herschend. They've got lots of experience in various entertainment/tourist things (4 amusement parks and water parks, 3 aquariums, some dinner shows and the Harlem Globetrotters) and would likely do a good job managing a few smaller parks/entertainment centers as well.

8 hours ago, WOF Guy said:

If put up for sale, I would expect the Fun Spot parks to be purchased by a chain that specializes in smaller locations.  Interested buyers could include Five Star Attractions, Palace Entertainment, or Premier Parks.

I would not rule out Gene from Indiana Beach. He has 3 in his portfolio now.

8 hours ago, WOF Guy said:

If put up for sale, I would expect the Fun Spot parks to be purchased by a chain that specializes in smaller locations.  Interested buyers could include Five Star Attractions, Palace Entertainment, or Premier Parks.

But then they couldn't assume the roles of Michigan's Adventure and Dorney Park as the butt of all Cedar Fair small-park jokes!