Universal Studios Orlando Resort General Discussion (USO, IOA, Epic Universe)

Hello fellow KIC enthusiasts! I thought I would make this discussion to look at the current happenings in the Universal Orlando Resort including the theme parks, City Walk, hotels and more while also getting ready for Epic Universe to open up!

I go down to USOR at least once every 3 months and having went down two weekends ago (the last time being the weekend of the 17th in December which of course it rained then too) I was able to experience Mardi Gras for 2024. 

Drinks were decent, not as good as the HHN line up of course, but the gumbo was still spectacular. The tribute store was honestly far more than I anticipated, from a turn of the century paddle steam ship, to the ruins of said ship to the swampy home of the Baron Ton Ton. There were several amazingly placed effects that you honestly have to see in person. 

What are some of your thoughts on the current state of the Universal Orlando Resort?

Just now, BoddaH1994 said:

I go every couple of months or so. I was there last weekend. 

Did you catch the Mardi Gras parade?

I think my favorite thing on property is the Bourne Stuntacular. 

I was able to watch a full run through the first night. I enjoyed it, loved the King Gator float the most. Which to be honest the parades at Universal have always been more exciting for me than the more recently lackluster Disney parades. (Everything after the Mulan/Aladdin/Toy Story/Hercules/Mainstreet Electrical parades I haven't been too keen on. 

Bourne was one of those attractions I didn't think I would care for but genuinely enjoyed. I would still cast my lot for Velocicoaster and that's definitely not because of late night back row rides that just so happen to use my Express pass after 4. 

The seasonal Universal parades (Mardi Gras and Universal's Holiday Parade featuring Macy's) capture the feeling of a real big-city celebration, particularly if you watch them in the New York streets with the police motorcycles leading the Mardi Gras parade. The smile factor throughout the crowd at Mardi Gras is something special. People really click with the whole vibe.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like we may get an announcement on the next tribute store for the summer on the 29th. From what you could see in the preview it looks like Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Jaws and maybe Back to the Future? Definitely excited to check out the new tribute store, any guesses on when it will open up?

Universal is on a roll! 

what makes universals expansions far exceed Disneys I believe is that the public has a fractured relationship with them due to all the cancelled promises. I can name just about every project Universal is working on here in the states. I can’t tell you what Disney is ACTUALLY doing other than Splash Mountain 2.0. (Notice I said 2.0 it’s because I honestly don’t know what the new name is… Tiana something something)
Universal seems to announce things fittingly during or nearly completed projects.

• Like 1

The new lagoon show has a lot of potential as well. Marathon of Mayhem and Ghoulish were great at HHN so it feels like Universal is getting a stronger sense of what makes a good nighttime show. If they can tie in all the beloved classic Universal Parks IP like Ghostbusters and Back to the Future we could have something pretty special.

• Like 1

The fact that they’ve been working on it for so long speaks to how impressive it should turn out. I’m optimistic that the park can pull it off with the nighttime lagoon show, I’m just hoping I’m able to see it as I’m typically in IOA riding Velocicoaster at night.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

-Topic Bump-

Has anyone been able to check out Cinesational or the new Movie Parade? I'll be back down next week and was wondering if there were any 'best spots' to get for viewing. 

(Pics will be posted from the parade and the nighttime light show when I go down!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post pictures later on this evening for the whole parade but just some thoughts from my trip over the weekend

Cinesational is arguably one of the best shows I've seen period, I am not one to watch shows to begin with but the show was excellent. Seating is definitely something you want to get earlier than later, and the projections were brilliant. 10/10 would probably watch again. The only issue I have is that the park closes at 9, the show is at the end of the day, so you're missing out on night rides on Velocicoaster if you make the choice to watch the show.

The parade was a mix of today, yesterday and years past. The floats were well designed and offered a different view for each side which gives the reason to watch it again from the opposite side of the street. The pacing felt off from the 2nd/3rd float on which did lead to a strange tempo after those floats went past. I feel like there was also a really strong opportunity to mix up the floats. Putting in a dragon costume team or maybe individuals in raptor costumes I feel would give more flair to the overall event. I still would say this parade was excellent, is it on par with the best parade ever being the Mulan parade from MGM Studios? Never, but it's better than most parades I've seen recently. 

The Tribute store did get an update in their merchandise lineup, which I appreciated. My VHS finally got added to the fan wall which came out really great in comparison to what I was expecting. 

I think my main point is that if you're considering coming to Universal, this is arguably the time to do it. The shows are excellent, the crowds aren't as terrible as they have been in the past and there's plenty to do even outside of the attractions.