How Good is 2007 Going To Be?

KIfan73

Actually, if many who have fond memories of KECO's Kings Island were transported back, they'd be disappointed. Yes, there were Enchanted Voyage, King Cobra, The Flying Eagles, the Lion Country Safari, great shows and wonderful food, with a festive atmosphere. But there was no Flight of Fear, no Action Zone, prices were (in inflation adjusted terms) quite higher for admission and season passes (and at first there were NO season passes). The park had much less to offer in many ways than it does now.

Much of the time, we choose to remember only the good things.

--The Interpreter, who still remembers being awed by The Bavarian Beetle!

Yes, I second many of the Interpreter`s comments. Often times, people will remember only the happy memories, while forgoing the negative ones.

The park is a different place today than it was when it opened. (Heck, its even dramatically different than it was five years ago). However, the park is larger and offers more for guests to do today, at least as far as ride experience goes. Entertainment isn`t all there yet.

That being said, when kids are young they can be awed by the simplest things. I mean, numerous times I would be running the coaster at Coney, and kids would think it was the best ride in the world. Or that the Frog Hopper or Scream Machine were the best rides in the world. Well, if they have never been to Kings Island to experience those rides, they don`t know what they are missing. But the underlying principle at both Coney and Kings Island, is that families, both kids and adults can make lasting fun filled memories on the various rides and attractions at the parks. Memories that will last a lifetime.

Indeed. I have often wondered what I would today think of The Shooting Star at Coney Island if I could somehow ride it again, but this time having ridden before it rides like The Georgia Cyclone, Tremors and, for that matter, Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags New England.

Somehow, I bet that coaster is greater in my memories than it ever REALLY was.

I beleive that we will not quite be blown away or *FLOWN* away. (Horrible Pun)I think that CF will make some definate improvements that will definately change the landscape of the Kings Island we are used to seeing. I think that they will do good justice for the park.

Yes, I second many of the Interpreter`s comments. Often times, people will remember only the happy memories, while forgoing the negative ones.

The park is a different place today than it was when it opened. (Heck, its even dramatically different than it was five years ago). However, the park is larger and offers more for guests to do today, at least as far as ride experience goes. Entertainment isn`t all there yet.

That being said, when kids are young they can be awed by the simplest things. I mean, numerous times I would be running the coaster at Coney, and kids would think it was the best ride in the world. Or that the Frog Hopper or Scream Machine were the best rides in the world. Well, if they have never been to Kings Island to experience those rides, they don`t know what they are missing. But the underlying principle at both Coney and Kings Island, is that families, both kids and adults can make lasting fun filled memories on the various rides and attractions at the parks. Memories that will last a lifetime.

I couldn't agree more...Enchanted Voyage was the ride that started my fascination and love of themed entertainment. I can remember riding it when I was five years old like it was yesterday--it was the most amazing thing I had ever experienced. Of course, it's 33 years later and I'm considerably more jaded now :D So, I have no doubt that the same experience today wouldn't be nearly so magical. Since all that's left is the memory, in my mind it will always be the coolest dark ride ever. That's really not such a bad thing :)

I agree, as a kid I was overwhelmed by Enchanted Voyage and made my family go on it many, many times. But if the Enchanted Voyage were around today many people on these boards would say the animatronics are outdated, the scenery needs painted and the building needs updating. With that said, KI in 2007 should still provides many wonderful moments for my children and that provides wonderful moments for my wife and me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well still no announcement yet on what is in store for KI in 2007.

But we can already look forward to a new Son of Beast. Yes it wont have a loop, but we have been informed that there will be many improvements/repairs to the structure and track so that the ride complies with the State of Ohio. Also it will either have lighter modified trains or new trains. Maybe the Son will finally get on the right track this year. (horrible pun)

Second we have the action over by Fort Cooper and the possible addition of X-Flight or another new ride.

Not to mention these changes there will more than likely be the addition of new paint, landscaping, beautification, and possibly a new resturant or two.

Could be a very exciting year, but one that will definately be filled with change.

Well still no announcement yet on what is in store for KI in 2007.

But we can already look forward to a new Son of Beast. Yes it wont have a loop, but we have been informed that there will be many improvements/repairs to the structure and track so that the ride complies with the State of Ohio. Also it will either have lighter modified trains or new trains. Maybe the Son will finally get on the right track this year. (horrible pun)

Second we have the action over by Fort Cooper and the possible addition of X-Flight or another new ride.

Not to mention these changes there will more than likely be the addition of new paint, landscaping, beautification, and possibly a new resturant or two.

Could be a very exciting year, but one that will definately be filled with change.

The ride wasn't operating at state standers?

*shake, shake, shake*

*shake, shake, shake*

Magic 8 ball says:"You'll have to wait and see"

Some of us will be excited for the changes from Paramount to Cedar Fair since we can remember how it was pre- Paramount. While others will dislike changes because they cannot seem to accept that Cedar Fair has bought the park.

I believe that we will see some significant changes in 2007, but it will take until 2008 or even 2009 for everything to be changed to Cedar Fair's standards.

Cedar Fair bought KI with a vision in mind of how they want the park. It is not going to happen overnight, and could change direction month to month. Give it a couple years to really see how things are going to be.

Funny, that's what people have been saying about Geauga Lake the last two or three years. I'm still waiting.

But you also have to consider the state the park was in at the time of aquisition. There is a night & day difference between how Geauga was pre- Cedar Fair, and how KI was last year. There is always room for improvement at any park, but the condition that SF sold Geauga to CF was terrible. Not just the park, but the public's opinion of the park as well. Chances are, 50% of the people that live in a hundred mile radius of Geauga don't even know that SF sold it to CF.

Comparing the state of the park(s) between Geauga & KI at the time of the aquisition is like comparing apples and oranges.

^

^

Agreed completely, but it doesnt help that after Cedar Fair bought the park they built the huge water park at GL with non union labor in a very pro union area. It is the rust belt for a reasson. So the park almost fell apart under Six Flags and then Cedar Fair acquires it and basically gives everyone in the area the big middle finger by hiring non union contractors. Not a good start for a park that was already in bad shape.

We will see a lot of good come out of Cedar Fair: This coming year: For sure:

and 2008 I think will be huge for Kings Island 09 at the latest:

We will see more family fun rides: a possible hotel and lots of what we like hearing Kings Island:

this is like a huge gem in the Cedar Fair network: CIncinnati is lucky a real amusement operator is running the park again. We won't see rides taken out;

Funny, that's what people have been saying about Geauga Lake the last two or three years. I'm still waiting.

But you also have to consider the state the park was in at the time of aquisition. There is a night & day difference between how Geauga was pre- Cedar Fair, and how KI was last year. There is always room for improvement at any park, but the condition that SF sold Geauga to CF was terrible. Not just the park, but the public's opinion of the park as well. Chances are, 50% of the people that live in a hundred mile radius of Geauga don't even know that SF sold it to CF.

Comparing the state of the park(s) between Geauga & KI at the time of the aquisition is like comparing apples and oranges.

Yes, that's true -- and I was being a bit flippant. But it's also true that immediately following the Cedar Fair acquisition of GL, everybody was making statements about how CF was going to turn around the park, and just wait a couple years, and what a difference it's going to make. Well, two going on three years have passed since the buyout, and GL has a fancy new waterpark, but it still lacks a significant intra-park transportation system, several major rides have been ripped out, the old waterpark sits festering, a large part of the rides side has been turned into a 'dead zone', major infrastructure needs are still being unmet, no new major dry attractions have been planned or installed, and attendance is apparently still falling or flat at best. To me, that sort of sounds like the opposite of 'progress'. Hmmm...'regress'. That's how I would describe the situation at GL.

KI is most certainly in much better shape, but there are still a number of paramount concerns (pun intended) that rival in scope issues at GL that Cedar Fair has failed to succeed in solving. So when I hear someone say, "Oh, just wait, Cedar Fair is a real amusement park chain, they'll take care of everything," I bite my tongue and follow it up with a grain of salt chaser.

A very well thought out opinion, I for one hope that that was just an isolated park problem and not a problem for all the Cedar Fair troubled parks. I do haft to point out the season Pass problem last fall and haft to hope that the problems in the future are more easily remedied.

Putting this into perspective, even the beloved old Coney Island closed and removed many rides, because of a combination of low ridership, mechanical issues, and limited room. All amusement park operators, even the ones they constantly give awards to and look up to, remove rides. Even Holiday World has had to remove some fun rides to make way for the future.

Like said before, several rides in the 1980s, pre-Paramount, were removed from Kings Island. Some of these attractions were unique and classic, even dating back to the predecessor park Coney Islane.

Of course, I was introduced to Kings Island in the pre-Paramount years, and remember a place that just seemed more magical, fresher, better maintained, and unique. Certainly, Cedar Fair will remove more rides from KI, but I expect them to own the place for a long period of time. Cedar Fair is company dedicated to the operation and fostering of amusement parks - the success and reputation of CP, KI, and 10+ other parks is extremely important to their bottom line. However, Paramount, CBS, Viacom, and even Taft were more committed to broadcasting and media entertainment, although the latter of the four media companies did the best job of building and running a theme park.

As for the season pass issue, I hope KI opens its Season Pass center a week or so prior to April 21. By 2008, they also need to switch back to the parking-on-ID system. The sticker issue could even be a problem with me: I might not use my usual car to get to the park sometimes.

As for the season pass issue, I hope KI opens its Season Pass center a week or so prior to April 21.

I would be surprised if they did not open the season pass center early. CP opens theirs at least 1 week early if not 2 weeks before the park opens.

On the other hand, CP's season pass center is the definition of pure chaos the first couple week of the season due to the inadequate building that the center is in and the lack of processing equipment. Perhaps that is the reason that CP opens the pass center early.

And as far as KI or CP removing major thrill rides...

A majority of us can only speculate why any park needs to remove a ride. CF is removing X-Flight from GL possibly due to low attendence. And with low attendence, why keep a major thrill ride a park that cannot support it? In other words, if a ride costs $15 million, but the return on investment is poor, move it to a larger, more popular park where it will see much more action, and chances are, people will flock to the park to get on the "new" ride.

Busch Gardens Europe has some great thrill rides, but not numerous thrill rides. But IMO, it is one of the best parks in the country, not due to the thrill rides, but due to the atmosphere that the park generates. It is a beautiful park that is very clean and well themed. I go there for the rides, but for the most part, I go there for the atmoshere. KennyWood and Hershey are also examples of parks just like this. They are truely great parks.

Just a couple of things.

I live 1/2 hour from Kings Dominion in Richmond, VA an just over an hour from BGE. I have been to both KD and Busch Gardens Europe (Formerly BG, Williamsburg; Formerly BG, The Old Country) since they opened in 1974.

I think what makes Busch Gardens Europe so unique is that it has been able to hang on to its theming and atmosphere while removing, adding, expanding, and renovating its rides, shows, and attractions as time goes on. BGE is a well rounded park because of its theming, landscaping, rides, and shows. The park patron gets value for the money spent. In the Pre-paramount days KD and BGE had a friendly competition with each other. For most patrons it was not an either/or proposition to go to one park or the other. Many visited both parks to see if one park had outdone the other in the attractions department for that season. Busch Gardens always had the lead in atmosphere and quality of food over Kings Dominion. But as far as rides and attractions go they ran neck and neck. Some seasons KD was better and other seasons it was BGE.

In the Pre-Paramount days at KD (Taft/KECO), the park was truely themed in each area with a distinct border to each area, whether natural buffer of trees / bushes or buildings and ride attractions. The employees in each section wore different uniforms that related to the area they worked in. The attention to themed detail was evident in signs, shops, restaurants, and queue buildings in each area.

Pre-Paramount Kings Dominion, was a well rounded amusement destination that took 2 days to truely experience all the rides, shows, and attractions (including the safari monorail). Did you know that from the late 70's through the late 80's KD put on average of 9 to 12 different shows during the prime season (Memorial Day to Labor Day)? Plus, KD had 2-4 shows in the spring and fall. The shows were professionally done; with most shows having live bands to accompany the singers and dancers. They had a country music show, a couple of contermporary/pop music shows, a broadway style show, a couple of kids shows, a dolphin/sea lion show, a bird show, roaming characters, and other special events like an air show, concerts, and even a regional country music / bluegrass competition held in the fall.

It was impossible to experience everything in one day. I remember the 2-day ticket was very popular option for patrons. The park had a good reputation for quality rides/attractions and quality shows.

Now lets look at KD at the end of 2006. Yes, Paramount did some good with some new rides and an expanded water park during their ownership.

Lets look at the not so good during the Paramount Years.

The entertainment has been reduced to one kid show, a rock show, character meet & greet, and park patron karaoke during prime season. No shows in the spring or fall. We have lost 3 show amphitheaters during the Paramount reign, The Country Crossroads, Flintstones Follies/Woodlands, and the Safari amphitheaters were torn down. Only one was replaced by the Action theatre motion simulator.

As Paramount tried to make KD a mini version of Universal Studios or MGM Movie Park, Kings Dominion lost its attention to themed area detailing. The themed areas started to run together with no distinct separation. The employees all wear the same uniform in all areas. The new "movie themed" ride attractions were plopped down in a themed area that had no relation to each other. KD and the other parks in the chain were becoming one big advertising billboard. Sometimes I wonder if the management attitude was lets see how much money we can squeeze out of our patrons and give them the minimum value for their money.

Either there was no interest by Paramount/Viacom/CBS to truely invest the cash needed to make the parks into a movie themed park or they realized the investment to truely convert the parks was more than they were willing to spend. In either case, the park started to loose its identity.

Now we are under Cedar Fair. Am I expecting the parks to be what they were pre-Paramount? Well, lets be realistic, I don't see KD, KI, or any of the other former Paramount parks being what they were in 1991 or earlier. The times and demographics won't allow it. You can't reverse the hands of time. Now, looking to the future, can Cedar Fair give each of the former paramount parks a unique identity and make the parks a well rounded amusement/entertainment destination again? Can they clean the parks up, bring back an unique atmoshere to KD, KI, and the other parks? I can only hope. :rolleyes: