Cedar Point 2016 Talk

I still think that "leaked" dive coaster rumor from the Sandusky Register could be true. Whenever they've released unannounced park info before, it pretty much turns out to be accurate.

But as whole, I'm going to say that it's for that midway expansion idea I've had for a few years. Cedars Dorms will also come down, Perimeter Rd will be rerouted, and a new midway will connect the Blue Streak midway from Calypso's current location to near the bleachers in Celebration Plaza. This is just one rough possible idea of what it could be. As you can see, having a whole multi year expansion in addition to the dive coaster is possible...I'm not the best at Photoshop and stuff like that but I inserted an image of Sheikra and it fits perfectly and still allows for plenty of room. The blue indicates the Perimeter Road reroute, the red indicates the new midway, you can obviously see the image of Sheikra and how it does not even interfere with Cadillac Cars and Raptor, and then the green areas indicate free space for future attractions.

cp_zpslcbpjrjx.jpg

In the area formerly occupied by the dorms, I could see some type of out-and-back GCI or GG wooden coaster. Its station would be near the new midway merge by the bleachers, its lift hill would run parallel to the new midway, it would turn around in the strip of land between the midway and Perimeter Road (near Calypso's former location) and then will come back into the dorms area for a twister finale. I could see the new dive coaster's entrance plaza along with a few new shops/eating areas and seating in the small space by Raptor, to the right of where the new midway would connect to the Blue Streak midway.Then the other free space where the Goodtime Theatre used to be would be used for several new flat rides and another landscaped seating area.

• Like 13

Ride_on 17, that midway connection would make sense, and allow Blue Streak to get more foot traffic, as it would no longer be on a dead end midway. I still think that if they introduce a dark ride at Cedar Point, they may try to use the former pirate ride building next to Blue Streak for part of the experience.

• Like 4

Not been to Cedar Point in ~30yrs, but GF and I are considering a visit this summer. We're also considering a day at Put-in-Bay. Any suggestions on a conveniently located hotel to facilitate a relatively quick trip to/from the park and the ferry?

edit: my horrible autocorrect making a vacation destination read like a bay named after a Russian politician

• Like 5

If there is to be an coaster addition hopefully it's not a B&M dive coaster. If it happens to be a B&M ( 99.5% chance ). A B&M flyer would make a better fit in the current coaster lineup than a dive coaster. In my opinion CP's biggest hole would be a wooden coaster. If they do plan to build a woodie. GCI, The Gravity Group or Intamin would make a great wooden coaster addition.

• Like 2

I have to agree with Pyrokinesis, I'd be thrilled with a B&M Dive Coaster- I'd have to make the trip for that. Sheikra is one of the best coasters I've ridden, a close second only to Diamondback.

I also think the park is really lacking in dark rides and I'd love to see one added someday down the line.

• Like 2

The problem I have with dive coasters (I have been on both dive coasters as Busch Gardens` parks), is that after the first drop, there typically isn`t much to them. Although, I will admit, sitting on the far ends with no track above or below you is quite a thrill. You are more removed from the track then on the wingriders.

• Like 3

A flyer would be a great fit at Cedar Point, but I think a flyer gives you a more adaptable layout (It can go into more locations) and would be better suited for another location. What that location is I have no idea at the moment. The only place I could guess would be Adventure Island. A dive machine over the Marina Gate would be pretty sweet.

• Like 1

Not been to Cedar Point in ~30yrs, but GF and I are considering a visit this summer. We're also considering a day at Put-in-Bay. Any suggestions on a conveniently located hotel to facilitate a relatively quick trip to/from the park and the ferry?

edit: my horrible autocorrect making a vacation destination read like a bay named after a Russian politician

It is only about an hour, hour and 15 min, from the park to Put-In-Bay (including the ferry ride) so staying on site at CP may be option for you. The early entry alone makes staying on property worth it. I'm not sure there is too much lodging wise between the park and Put-In-Bay besides the hotels that are near one or the other. I'm sure if there is someone here will know though.

Depends on what ferry at what dock you embark from.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...