Everything posted by Outdoor Man
-
eek! Top gun!
as we have seen with GL... Cedar Fair likes making drastic decisions under the cover of darkness. If anything is getting removed, they'll probably announce it on November 1 to make sure NO ONE has a last ride..
-
Press Release: Last Chance To Visit Kings Island for the 2007 Season!
wow, i can't imagine that on a work night, school night, "holiday" night that Kings Island will be doing much business at 12:30am in the middle of the week.
-
NEW RIDE FOR 2008-2009
while we're talking about shows, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, or whatever they call it now had an awesome River Dance show. For an amusement park I was flat-out impressed at the quality, detail, and complexity of it all. So, when are they going to announce ANYTHING for KI in 08 anyway? Are they?
-
Church Buys Former "Surf Cincinati" Site
so... the church is only about money- and those who have it should give directly to the poor- offer no sense of outreach whatsoever. Create environments that only attract "dear-old-saints" and see the church slip into irrelevancy in a generation. I'm not saying that some of these edifices are completely ludicrous. What is the church for anyway? Who is the church? and what is it's mission?
-
NEW RIDE FOR 2008-2009
i agree with shaggy... i could pass on any of the flats that GL had to offer. About the only one that has any allure would be the Ferris Wheel- which I'm not so sure that I think "fits" but would be a nice touch to the KI skyline.
-
If Vortex was Suspended...
it would be nice to have a BM??? (just kidding- i know you said B&M- stressful afternoon and need to make my own jokes...)
-
Church Buys Former "Surf Cincinati" Site
Ash / Shag... I don't think you two are as far off in your conversation as you're reading into it. words on a screen don't do justice of seeing facial expressions and tone of voice. I worked (from a distance) with a real estate company doing research before the purchase and I can say with some degree of certainty that the plans the church has aren't necessarily outlandish- I'd call it uniquely different.... in a good way. While I agree that certain actions cause more deviciness within the Christian community- I also have the thought of "why not?" If you take the exegetical context of Christ turning over the tables in the temple (those who know what exegesis is, continue- if not- I'm not explaining it), it wasn't in the context that we see it. And the views would vary depending on who is interpretting it, but I would liken it to a non-christian viewing their attendance at a church as a lucrative option to benefit them and selling their product through their mis-guided intentions. If a church can afford to have a water slide or wave pool and it brings people in to "use" those facilities that would otherwise have never darkened the doorstep of a church and they meet God through that affiliation.... I say have TWO waterslides, and a mocha latte on the side.
-
Church Buys Former "Surf Cincinati" Site
got it. down side to email/blogs... cannot see or read sarcasm (to which I am no stranger to).
-
Church Buys Former "Surf Cincinati" Site
hey Firehawk... as a side note, could you add an "E" to your "GUID TO Kings Island..." I don't have so much a problem with "touchdown Jesus"- someone who goes there can correct me- but if not mistaken, it was a donated gift. Granted, that amount of $$ could have went to a place more productive, but it is what it is. I've worked with and in a church sinc HS, and I'm 34 (you do the math)- and i hear way too often from people that think that churches should only be about (fill in the blank). Churches should have no innovation, should have so outward mission other than homeless and poor... those things are important- but too many think that the church is a place to come, hang your head, be seen, and feel "good" or bad about yourself... and there are a few places like that. Not doubting the unfair business practices, but I was an accounting major and very familiar with 501c3 law... to which are your referring. I know "other" ways that some in the church use the tax-exempt to advantage, but not the business side.
-
Geauga Lake Fans Can't Say Goodbye
ernie.. one comment to your post- I don't think removing the marine animals was entirely CF's decision- and someone may correct me on this, but I think 6 Flags opted to pull them with their ownership, or at least did not include them as part of the sale... other than that I think most of the posts on this topic are very similar. If the parks not profitable, it's not profitable- although being in the Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown area I can't imaging that you couldn't make a serious run at profitability. You've got metropolitan areas north, south, east, AND west.
-
Geauga Lake Fans Can't Say Goodbye
My 5 cents (which with inflation and calculating the deflating dollar might be worth 2), CF did lose an opportunity to promote a "Farewell" season to get one last, and REALLY GOOD payday from GL. And really did themselves a disservice in the PR department to not even announce it until after the last guest left when it closed for the season. From CF's perspective, they are saving millions in a 2-3 year span to distribute seemingly "new" coasters to the other parks by recycling GL's coasters. Just like last year... KI got a "new" coaster and nothing else but general improvements/maintenance. Granted there were some costs involved in the move and site prep... but saved $$'s on the front end without having to order new. hmmmm.... whch parks's coasters are going to be "poached" from next. maybe Vortex IS "sinking"......
-
Favorite defunt ride
50 foot level on the tower.
-
River Town Rumor
Sarcasm???? I should hope so, 'cause I was laying it on pretty thick.
-
River Town Rumor
right on target at this time of year- everyone has their token expertise and inside track to what is going to happen. I heard... and this may be just a rumor... but CF was going to close Kings Island in 2010. All of the record breaking coasters were headed north to Cedar Point, along with the majority of NU. Then to get cross-commercialization, Kinzel was going to arrange a marriage between Charlie Brown and Dora so that the Nick theming would be "green-carded" into CF and create a record-breaking children's area featuring both the Peanuts and Nick characters at CP. Everything else was going to be dispersed to the other CF parks prior to their sale to the new Miller/Coors Brewing Company to compete with Busch Gardens. Again, it was just a rumor but it was from a reliable source.... the insect I talked to had, in fact, been flying around inside the unused board room atop the Eiffel Tower when the KI management team was discussing it.
-
What CF will probably do...
i was being "over-dramatic"- just to say that I would hope that the re-introduction of any past ride be an afterthought of a much larger announcement.
-
KD's Italian Job to change names in 2008
I agree with Mr. Chef.
-
What CF will probably do...
Flying scooters and antique cars are gone... get over it. If they made a HUGE annoucement that in 2008, we are getting 5 rides: Flying Scooters Antique Cars and a host of other "wonderful, nostalgic" flat relics, etc... and that's "it"-- and we didn't somehow cash in on the CF coaster jetison from GL.... I would demand my money back from my 2007 season pass and not buy one for 2008.
-
KD's Italian Job to change names in 2008
would have liked to have been at the marketing meeting where a committee of people decided that it would be "creative" to name a roller coaster (or any thing for that matter)- "the Hurler."
-
Grain of Salt Removal Rumor
ok- someone can correct me here, but isn't Timberwolf operated by a third party these days?
-
Dismantling Geauga Lake...
would like to see a coaster come over... and maybe this could be a HUGE cash in for the NU area. But other than add "Americana" (ferris wheel) to Coney Mall... i wouldn't want any of their flats. i'm kind of disappointed. This site is usually right on top of things. Apparently this has apparently been "public" for going on a week now.
-
Favorite defunt ride
no. kc went over the rainbow to be with dorothy and toto.
-
Favorite defunt ride
Definitely the Parking Lot Trams
-
Pluto Goes Crazy
according to the sight- they speculate that it may have something to do with Pluto's "2 moons"- I was having an exhausting day yesterday when a friend forwarded that to me. I generally despise forwards- and regardless of what the kid did or what kind of parenting was involved... I got a pretty good laugh out of it.
-
Congo's Future
one of the best additions to the park? I don't know if I would go that far.
-
Does Wiki know something?
and don't forget.... KI is no longer the "favorite child" in the chain. Cedar Point is the "spoiled" sibling in the CF family to get most of the record-breaking attractions.