The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

As far as SOB, if everyone hates it, why did it always have a line? Most times, the line was longer than for the father, at least on days I was there. Over last summer (2008), the line was consistantly 30-40 minutes. It was never that long that I remember this year, but when I was there, it was never a walk-on.

When I rode it this season, it was walkon for the front seat.

As you know, I love SOB and did ride it alot when it was open. I have 14 (I think...) rides on it this season. The shortest I've waited is 10 minutes, it could of been a walkon but I wanted front seat. And the longest I've waited is 130 minutes on May 9th. 2009. SOB is a popular ride, and because of that I think the park doesn't want SOB removed, they want it to be open and be as good as it used to be...

^ Which FoF clone does not have a MCBR?

joker's jinx at six flags america.

in this picture you can see where the mid-course brake run would be if it was Flight of Fear (the part of track with the circle things around it) and you can see that there isn't a catwalk or any wiring for brakes.

http://rcdb.com/544.htm?p=524

Joker's Jinx also uses 2 trains, whereas FoF uses 3 trains.

I assume you got these stats of rcdb.com, but will warn you that this website is not always 100% accurate (and it is very hard to be/stay accurate on things like ride times).

As an FYI, if you search youtube and watch a POV of SoB, you'll quickly learn that it is longer than 2:20.

Yes, I did use RCDB as a resource.

And while their data may not be 100% accurate, it is the best source of facts that I can find.

And for my own information; do you happen to know of another/ better resource?

Yes, I did use RCDB as a resource.

And while their data may not be 100% accurate, it is the best source of facts that I can find.

And for my own information; do you happen to know of another/ better resource?

I am not aware of a better resource and often use RCDB myself. I've just learned over time to cross reference things, especially when things don't seem right based upon my knowledge or experience. Typically somewhere between RCDB, park websites, and POV videos, the right information can be found. Although the park websites have also been known to be in error (for example, earlier this season the SoB page on the KI website still referenced 36 passenger trains - which was changed shortly after it was mentioned on a KIC forum)

To note, I'll freely admit to being a "fact geek" about some items on roller coaster (specifically capacities) and have been known to use a stopwatch or other timing devices (there is a big second hand on the floral clock at KI visible from the top of the Eiffel Tower) to check data.

To note, I'll freely admit to being a "fact geek" about some items on roller coaster (specifically capacities) and have been known to use a stopwatch or other timing devices (there is a big second hand on the floral clock at KI visible from the top of the Eiffel Tower) to check data.

I'm the same way.

RCDB also uses approximate times, as there is no exact time for every train due to load/ unload times, weather factors etc.

^^

FOF hasn't actually ran 3 trains for several seasons.

Edit: Something else about Jokers Jinx: doesn't it still launch to 60MPH? I know KI has FOF listed as 0-54.

Perhaps a ride op could verify the amount of trains used as I have been to KI a few times this season and am fairly certain that 3 trains have been used.

^^

FOF hasn't actually ran 3 trains for several seasons.

Edit: Something else about Jokers Jinx: doesn't it still launch to 60MPH? I know KI has FOF listed as 0-54.

during a visit to Ki this year in july. one of the guest yelled out "how fast is that?! after watching a train launch

one of the ops yelled back a number somewhere in he 50's. i couldn't tell over the noise but i know it was 50 something

and doesn't joker jinx use less cars than Flight of Fear?

^Yes I know exactly what you meant, I was just looking for some way to slip this in. It really is a cool aircraft, and the people involved are amazing. I keep trying to finish my trip report to EAA Airventure in July, but work has taken me out of town twice in three weeks. This aircraft was there, and put on a great show. Here's to a peaceful night or two so I can finish it.

^ Which FoF clone does not have a MCBR?

joker's jinx at six flags america.

in this picture you can see where the mid-course brake run would be if it was Flight of Fear (the part of track with the circle things around it) and you can see that there isn't a catwalk or any wiring for brakes.

http://rcdb.com/544.htm?p=524

Joker's Jinx also uses 2 trains, whereas FoF uses 3 trains.

i understand that, even though it only runs train 1 and train 3 now, but read what you said, weather it be for a block or not i was just answering the question you asked.

It's all speculation. No one knows how much each would cost (well, maybe Cedar Fair Exec's). If you were to put in a new ride, well, you know how much those cost.

I was saying not how much would it cost to replace it, but they don't have to replace it in the first place. It could just remain a grassy field for years.

Hank your pretty much right though man it cost a lot of $ to tear down than to fix what could really be done to SOB and really get it right this time!

Sigh.

Give me 2 possible ways to "Fix" Son of Beast, that have not been tried before and are actually realistic (No more of this "Take out the rosebowl and put in an out and back" or "replace the track to steel" stuff)

Many posts ago, I gave a quite lengthy diatribe on what could be done. No comments were ever made about my post, so I quit writing for a while. But, for those who missed it - I suggested adding to the ride, thus making it longer than The Beast, and still using all of what's there. Look back a few hundred posts and read the whole thing.

Wouldn't 3 trains be dangerous - I mean - it's only a 50 second long ride. It seems like it would be hard to keep up!

And about SoB and replacing it - people, you can't think it will be replaced! I mean, not after it is destroyed. I mean, when Bat was closed, Vortex came at least 3 years after that (I'm probably wrong) and Delirium replaced King Cobra - I don't know.

But no one get your hopes up about a new coaster!

Give me 2 possible ways to "Fix" Son of Beast, that have not been tried before and are actually realistic (No more of this "Take out the rosebowl and put in an out and back" or "replace the track to steel" stuff)

In my opinion Son of Beast was running better than ever the last time it was fixed. And who gave you the power to decide for Cedar Fair what is realistic as far as fixing Son of Beast? Taking out the rosebowl and putting in an out and back in it's place is plenty realistic if Cedar Fair wanted it to be.

Guest TombraiderTy
And about SoB and replacing it - people, you can't think it will be replaced! I mean, not after it is destroyed. I mean, when Bat was closed, Vortex came at least 3 years after that (I'm probably wrong) and Delirium replaced King Cobra - I don't know.

King Cobra closed end of 2000, Delirium opened 2003- two full seasons in-between with empty space. Bat closed sometime in 1982, Vortex opened 1987- a bit more than four full seasons.