The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

http://rcdb.com/3183.htm?p=16782

I believe they are special trains made by Intamin. RCDB didn't have any specifics.

Actually they are Millennium Flyer trains. ;)

http://rcdb.com/4274.htm?p=23326

You do realize that's not the same ride... right? :blink:

Yeah hahaha The wink was supposed to show sarcasm. :lol: El Toro (SFGAdv) is my number 1 coaster. :)

I'm thinking they are Intamin trains on El Toro... I'm pretty sure they are very tight fitting as well. I've read several reports of people not being able to fit and slowing down capacity.

To be honest, I don't care what type of wood coaster trains run on the ride... I just want it to open or to close for good, so the incident can be put to rest. I prefer the open option more, but if it can't be "fixed" then so be it.

I don't see any logical reason as to why KI should announce now the fate of Son of Beast, or at any time for that matter. Just quickly and quietly remove it when no one is looking, or re open the ride as if nothing happened.

I really dont think that anybody would not be looking/notice a 215 foot mountain of wood being torn down. It also doesnt seem feasable for said mountain of wood to come down quickly and quietly. So regardless if they remove the ride with or without telling the public, trust me, when the wrecking ball strikes, we and them will know.

-KIBOB, just say'in

I don't see any logical reason as to why KI should announce now the fate of Son of Beast, or at any time for that matter. Just quickly and quietly remove it when no one is looking, or re open the ride as if nothing happened.

I really dont think that anybody would not be looking/notice a 215 foot mountain of wood being torn down. It also doesnt seem feasable for said mountain of wood to come down quickly and quietly. So regardless if they remove the ride with or without telling the public, trust me, when the wrecking ball strikes, we and them will know.

-KIBOB, just say'in

Of course it's impossible in this day and age to "Quietly remove" a ride, of course people will notice. The thing is, instead of announcing to the public "Son of Beast will be torn down" or giving last rides or removing it while people are in the park, they can bring in the wrecking ball during the offseason when the General Public, WLWT, and anyone else who matters are not focusing on it s much.

The off season is slowly getting shorter day by day. If SoB's fate was, to be demolished, I wonder if they could have it done before the park opens in April. I'm not sure how long it would take to demolish a ride the size of Son of Beast. I'm still hoping it reopens as if nothing happened.

I doubt that it will be torn down before the upcoming season and unless it is going to be running I doubt we hear anything mentioned about it at all. I personally see it as a good sign that it is still listed on website. At the very least that seems to mean they havent ruled out the possibility of attempting to get it running again.

It also doesnt seem feasable for said mountain of wood to come down quickly and quietly. So regardless if they remove the ride with or without telling the public, trust me, when the wrecking ball strikes, we and them will know.

-KIBOB, just say'in

Have you noticed how close SOB get's to AE? I think that section of track would have to be removed by hand to not cause damage to AE and am pretty sure it is the first hill structure. As you said, quickly is most definitely not feasible.

I'm not expecting much action (neither towards the ride's demise or its preservation) in 2010. The fact is, if my company was being sold to avoid bankruptcy, the last thing on my to-do list would be to seek out plans for one wooden roller coaster at one of my parks. We're not even sure that Cedar Fair will own Kings Island come April, much less that they'd focus any manpower on solving a problem occurring there.

Part of me wants to say that the ride will likely open without any fanfare or announcement in April, but another part of me (the dominant part) thinks that they'd be absolutely out of their minds to do that - safe or not, Son of Beast, if left unaltered, is now a giant wooden target for sue-happy Americans (and trust me, there are a lot of them...) Someone mentioned earlier that if GCI were brought in and replaced even five or six bolts, the coaster community, at the very least, would feel some sympathy for the ride. While that was obviously an overexaggeration, I think it makes a good point - but that wouldn't mean much to the public.

Of one thing I feel assured, whether anyone else agrees or not - if Son of Beast opens in April, it won't be running empty trains anytime soon. I know of many many folks who want to ride it again, and many who haven't before ridden it and would love the chance. The ride's reputation precedes it, and for many, I think that's one of the main draws. We'll see!

I doubt that it will be torn down before the upcoming season and unless it is going to be running I doubt we hear anything mentioned about it at all. I personally see it as a good sign that it is still listed on website. At the very least that seems to mean they havent ruled out the possibility of attempting to get it running again.

Kings Island's web site hasn't really given the impression as being the management's first priority...I wouldn't rely on any information that's on it as evidence of anything as important as the possible removal of a major ride.

...Someone mentioned earlier that if GCI were brought in and replaced even five or six bolts, the coaster community, at the very least, would feel some sympathy for the ride. While that was obviously an overexaggeration, I think it makes a good point - but that wouldn't mean much to the public....

If GCI were brought in and replaced even one bolt, it would also have potential liability in any future lawsuits concerning the ride. That alone would make that prospect far, far less likely than it otherwise might be.

Kings Island's web site hasn't really given the impression as being the management's first priority...I wouldn't rely on any information that's on it as evidence of anything as important as the possible removal of a major ride.

Oh I certainly agree that the website certainly does not seem to be near the top of CF's priority list. I was merely pointing out that its still listed there, as little as it may be worth.

Terpy's got a point. If GCI comes in then if something happens on the ride later...err, sorry...WHEN something happens on the ride later...then GCI could be held responsible. Just like with PKI, when it was convinient, they said it was RCCO's fault, when not, they said PKI themselves built it.

I don't see them at this point doing anything with the ride over the offseason. Let it sit over 2010 (Probably without feature on the park map) and then a few years down the road get rid of it when the finance allows.

Terpy's got a point. If GCI comes in then if something happens on the ride later...err, sorry...WHEN something happens on the ride later...then GCI could be held responsible. Just like with PKI, when it was convinient, they said it was RCCO's fault, when not, they said PKI themselves built it.

I don't see them at this point doing anything with the ride over the offseason. Let it sit over 2010 (Probably without feature on the park map) and then a few years down the road get rid of it when the finance allows.

This seems logical and practical. Well done.

There are good reasons to leave it on. For one, it gives a good point of reference for someone trying to find, say, Flight Deck. "Oh, it's over by the big wooden coaster!" And they left Action Theater on...

You never know, the map could look like this next year!

6UwAw.jpg

I have to point out that on the 2006 FearFest map Son of Beast was not featured. Earlier that season was the infamous 2006 incident where 27 riders were injured. Around Christmas that year they removed the loop in a matter of days. The ride was featured in the 2007 map, and opened in July.

I know it's two different situations and all, but I'm just sayin'!

There are good reasons to leave it on. For one, it gives a good point of reference for someone trying to find, say, Flight Deck. "Oh, it's over by the big wooden coaster!" And they left Action Theater on...

You never know, the map could look like this next year!

6UwAw.jpg

Why did you erase FoFtongue.gifhuh.gif