The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Son of Beast merchandise (well, merchandise that specifically mentions Son of Beast) has shown up on the website, 3 items, a mug, scrapbook, and photo frame. Interesting, to say the least. still dont know if its just coincidence or just selling any random item hoping people dont notice its there...

Or, as I posted in the online store thread:

Choose from one of the following (or add your own):

a. Son of Beast is not going to re-open, some more merchandise was found, and on line is a great, relatively quiet place to get rid of what you have on hand.

b. Son of Beast is going to reopen, and selling merchandise for it is always good for many reasons, from profit making to generating interest in the ride.

c. The park truly has no idea yet if Son of Beast will or will not reopen, but some more merchandise was found, and on line is a great, relatively quiet place to get rid of what you have on hand.

d. The marketing/PR/merchandising people at Kings Island are either tired of the endless speculation about the ride's fate and/or are enjoying it tremendously so either some more merchandise was found and/or a small amount was ordered and selling merchandise is always good for profits and/or is a good way to get rid of what you have.

e. A vendor accidentally produced more Son of Beast merchandise, and the marketing/PR/merchandising people at Kings Island are either tired of the endless speculation about the ride's fate and/or are enjoying it tremendously and selling merchandise is always good for profits and/or is a good way to get rid of what you now serendipitously have.

The amount of people that are not going to buy passes or go to the park because SOB is still in operation is going to be a hand full of people compared to the amount of GP that walks into KI wanting to ride that really big wood coaster sitting over in Action Zone that they have never seen before, and don't know what it is even called. Secondly, the people that complain about SOB are going to go to the park to see what is going on with it as well. Just my thoughts.

You spoke my thought.

Just like this community is only a tiny percentage compared to GP to which the park actually tries to cater for.

I love watching the mud slinging between the praisers and the complai.. er haters though.

You know I would agree people who walk into the park may say I want to ride that big ride, but most people dont come to a park for a certain ride. Sure enthusiasts do and many people on here will make a trip to XX park to ride the YY ride. But to be truthful I think most people think like this "hey we should go to (Cincinnati) for vacation. They have a theme park, we could catch a baseball game, and then etc." I mean I went to Bush Gardens 3 years ago, not ride any ride, but because on vacation it was near by and my fiance and I wanted to go to a theme park. So Im not sure a single ride brings more of the GP to the park or not, but I would lean towards thinking it does not bring in more people. Now its not fair calling people who think SOB is done complainers or haters. Some of the people who think SOB is done for have used very rational thinking. Same thing can be said for the people who think it will be standing and running this season. Why do you have to help fling mud at each member who is against what you (obviously) feel is the right decision. The divide between the Should SOB stand or Should SOB fall groups is starting to feel like the divide between the Republicans and Democrats. Both sides do not care what the other side is saying, they just assume its wrong.....

Now its not fair calling people who think SOB is done complainers or haters. Some of the people who think SOB is done for have used very rational thinking.

Oh trust me. I think the ride is done, and I don't consider myself a complainer or praiser, I'm neutral. But there are those who take it too far and have proved themselves to be nothing but immature in the (at times) ridiculous photoshop postings and ranting about bonfires ignoring the fact they would burst into flames right alongside their beloved SOB. That's rational? Terpy and Shaggy are the best role models in this entire thread... (I only said them cause their posts are/were so mature I actually remembered them due to the fact they made me think). I much rather learn something or hear actual news, not read rubbish.

(There have been some very intelligent posts, some even from someone that doesn't like SOB, but yeah I gave my reason why I had to use them as examples)

Now its not fair calling people who think SOB is done complainers or haters. Some of the people who think SOB is done for have used very rational thinking.

Oh trust me. I think the ride is done, and I don't consider myself a complainer or praiser, I'm neutral. But there are those who take it too far and have proved themselves to be nothing but immature in the (at times) ridiculous photoshop postings and ranting about bonfires ignoring the fact they would burst into flames right alongside their beloved SOB. That's rational? Terpy and Shaggy are the best role models in this entire thread... (I only said them cause their posts are/were so mature I actually remembered them due to the fact they made me think). I much rather learn something or hear actual news, not read rubbish.

(There have been some very intelligent posts, some even from someone that doesn't like SOB, but yeah I gave my reason why I had to use them as examples)

I agree with you 100%. Hugs to you!

Hey I agree with, I too think the ride is done. But I do not think its fair, nor is it productive, to slip and slide into name calling and be like everyone else on this board. I agree terp and shaggy have added things to the discussion that have been great, and some others have too. I just am tired of reading nothing but name calling from one side to the other about this ride...... thats why I ranted.....

Son of Beast merchandise (well, merchandise that specifically mentions Son of Beast) has shown up on the website, 3 items, a mug, scrapbook, and photo frame. Interesting, to say the least. still dont know if its just coincidence or just selling any random item hoping people dont notice its there...

Why was sob items pulled?was it a sign the ride was going to be removed or is a legal issue over making money on a ride that was going through a law suit?If sob is going bye bye i hope they give us a ride like top thrill dragster.

Didn't Kinzel himself say Top Thrill Dragster was one of the worst mistakes Cedar Fair ever made? But that aside, if another strata were added to another Cedar Fair park (doubtful), it would probably be in one that isn't three hours from the first strata.

I really can't see Intamin doing another winch-based accelerator for the Cedar Fair parks anytime soon. Top Thrill and Xcelerator have filled their quota for awful press for the 2000 - 2010 decade.

^^ I agree. When TTD opened it was a maintenance nightmare as to be expected from a record breaking coaster. But CF has slowly ironed out (most of) the kinks. That being said CF wouldn't put in another launcher at KI. Too near CP.

i believe that Cedar Fair is on the way to getting Son of Beast from being a maintenance nightmare, i mean come on, they're in control of the ride for one overhaul and there has been one extreme accident (which still hasn't had proof of it being the cause.)

If you're doing maintenance on roller coasters and can't stand heights, then frankly you're in the wrong line of work.

i agree with this completely, if you don't like the heights involved, i'll gladly take your job.

well the '06 one, and although not technically an accident, i count the closing right after it's grand opening to rebuild a part of the ride structure.

okay, so it's the same number with both if you don't count the closing right after opening, but still, the one with Cedar Fair has yet to have proof that Son of Beast was the cause of it.

Most claims of injury affecting amusement park rides are never made public but quietly settled out of court. The public will never know of most of those incidents. By taking the one most recent case to trial, the incident received far more publicity than it otherwise would have. That has to be one of the many factors to be considered in evaluating the future of the ride.

Yes, the case was settled out of court, but only after the issue of liability WAS decided by the jury involved. Why you seem to think Son of Beast was not determined to be the cause of the injuries is beyond me.