OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

^ there is no reason to retract so much, CP having the most coasters (until this year) and some of the highest is the very reason they win the award. Take away those two things and they would not win it. They would be up there, sure, but the coasters (and amount of record breaking ones) is the reason they top the charts.

^I think that a time table like that is def not out of the question for SoB. CF seems content to let the ride be SBNO when it has been cleared to run this year, so, IMO, there isnt any reason to think that CF & KI won't be content with the same decision for all or part of next season. Personally idt that SoB will be 'hybridized' simply bc, again this is strictly my opinion, whatever 'fix' is found for the ride needs to have a fairly reasonable chance at being a sucess. It would seem a risky bet to say that hybridizing the ride would yield the results they are looking for even if the Texas Giant rehab is deemed a sucess. I would think that CF/KI would be looking at more proven methods (redesign, retracking, etc.) for getting SoB up an running again, if getting it running again is their plan at all.

I also commented to this topic on KI extreme, but if the modification on Texas Giant is sucessful, could SOB be next?

TG was one of the best wooden coasters and deserves the investment.

Can the same be said for SoB?

Onto the other discussion...

No. KI has not marketed to families, and CP has not marketed to thrill seekers. They have both marketed to all guests. CP has not added just coasters to keep up with their 12 year run at the Golden Tickets, and KI has not just added to Nick Central/ U just to keep their 9 year run going as well.

CP has three seperate kid's areas (how many parks can say that?), and has renovated them numerous times. CP also caters to families with: great shows for all family members, sandy shores of Lake Erie, and on-site hotels and restaurants.

KI added 4 coasters and three major thrill rides from 1996 to 2006. Most of those thrill rides at their inception were cutting edge.

I also commented to this topic on KI extreme, but if the modification on Texas Giant is sucessful, could SOB be next?

TG was one of the best wooden coasters and deserves the investment.

Can the same be said for SoB?

Onto the other discussion...

No. KI has not marketed to families, and CP has not marketed to thrill seekers. They have both marketed to all guests. CP has not added just coasters to keep up with their 12 year run at the Golden Tickets, and KI has not just added to Nick Central/ U just to keep their 9 year run going as well.

CP has three seperate kid's areas (how many parks can say that?), and has renovated them numerous times. CP also caters to families with: great shows for all family members, sandy shores of Lake Erie, and on-site hotels and restaurants.

KI added 4 coasters and three major thrill rides from 1996 to 2006. Most of those thrill rides at their inception were cutting edge.

So you really think that if CP and KI were not sister parks and could get in each other with one pass, that the CP guests would travel to KI because their parks are similar. Again look at all the rides at CP and all the rides at KI, few are comparable.

AE vs CCMR. Adventure Express wins easily

Max Air vs Delirum. Advantage Max Air.

Racer vs Gemini. Racer.

Magnum vs Diamondback. Tough choice hard to choose.

ID vs FD. Easily FD.

That about all the comparisons.

KI has nothing compared to WT, TTD, MF, Mantis, Raptor, Maverick, Wildcat, Blue STreak. Those are just the coasters.

Kings Island can not be compared to CP. There are reasons why. Even Kings Island admits that in todays 5@5

I don’t think there’s much crossover between KI and CP when it comes to new rides. They have a much different situation from us. We are centered around some nice size cities all within a day’s drive and have a large home market to pull from. They are a destination park and see many visitors from all over the country. Aside from a couple of markets, I don’t think it comes down to an either-or decision between the two parks. Two totally different strategies but both need the same level of balance.

So you really think that if CP and KI were not sister parks and could get in each other with one pass, that the CP guests would travel to KI because their parks are similar. Again look at all the rides at CP and all the rides at KI, few are comparable.

You lost me.

How did we go from discussing bringing in families and thrill seekers to comparing individual rides?

Cedar Point is a destination, whereas Kings Island is more of a quick trip. Having worked at CP, and visited KI more times than I care to count, I can say more people come from more places to CP. It's not just Thrill Seekers, or just families, it's everyone from everywhere. When you walk around KI, you see a large mix as well but I would say a vast majority come from the immediate area. Immediate being southern OH, central and southern IN, and northern KY.

You first mentioned familes and thrill seekers here:

Yes Competition is good, but there is very little comparison in CP and KI. Whether CF owns both or not people will attend both parks because they are different. KI is and has always been about bringing in families. CP wants to bring in thrill riders. Each park has a different target audience.

And than, somehow, you started comparing individual rides between CP and KI. It makes no sense.

Aside from that, both KI and CP go after the same audience, that being everyone. They always have, and they always will. Trying to make the parks complete opposites would be bad business. Would you suggest that a paticular movie theater only show romance movies and another theater down the street only show action movies? Obviously, that would be stupid. The parks have to cater to all guests.

Somehow enthusiasts have this belief that most people will travel all over the country/ World to visit a park. When in all reality, people that travel to a park like CP, KI, Hershey, Kennywood etc. come from a (rough guess) 200 mile radius which happens to be near a well populated city. Enthusiasts will travel all over, but those same enthusiasts are a very small percentage of a park's attendance. Just because one park wins Golden Ticket awards for best park does not mean they are primarily a thrill seekers park. The same goes for a park that has won a Golden Ticket 9 years running for best kids area- winning does not make that park a family only park.

I would agree with the enthusiasts believing people will travel...However take a lap around KI, and then take a lap around CP, and listen to the people. While yes a vast majority will be from that 200 mile radius, I believe there are significantly more "foreign" visitors to CP. Be it from The Bronx or Greece. I even work with people from all over the world up there, granted KI doesn't have the housing facilities CP does, but that still says something I think.

Look at the comparisions for the most part CP thrill rides have no comparison down here. The rides excluding Magnum and Max Air, that are comparable are family rides and Kings Island wins those. Like a lot of people are saying, people come from all over to CP, KI attracts mainly people from Cincy, Dayton, and families from Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia.

Yes, but, good rides does not a park make. They are a large contributing factor obviously, but you can't say Park X has Ride Y so it destroys park Q because it only has ride M. A park can have several mediocre rides and still offer the better experience over a park with several good rides...

But I would say the main reason for CP being a destination rather then a quick trip is due to the geography. I mean Lake Erie is gorgeous. So much to do around there. Put-in-Bay, all the waterpark etc. What do we have here in cinci that people are willing to travel all over from? nothing........

Kings Island has the best kids area, hands down?

Somewhere in Orlando, Dr. Suess is rolling around in his grave. Islands of Adventure, anyone?

I think it's because KI has more roller coasters geared for kids than any other place on the planet. But if we're talking about the theming and scenic experience of the kids area, Suess Landing would win hands-down.

I would agree with the enthusiasts believing people will travel...However take a lap around KI, and then take a lap around CP, and listen to the people. While yes a vast majority will be from that 200 mile radius, I believe there are significantly more "foreign" visitors to CP. Be it from The Bronx or Greece. I even work with people from all over the world up there, granted KI doesn't have the housing facilities CP does, but that still says something I think.

There will be more "foreign" visitors to CP than KI. CP is located between the 11th & 41st (Detroit & Cleveland respectivly) most populated cities in the US, whereas KI is located near the 57th and 152nd (Cincy & Dayton).

CP is a "melting pot" compared to KI's "hometown" feel. smile.gif

CP also needs to have the housing facilities as Sandusky cannot support CP's summertime employment needs.

That makes sense, good point. And as for the housing, I should've said something along those lines as well. I just find it interesting that CP can draw staffing from all over the world. I highly doubt that would work in KI's environment, even if they did have to ship in their staff from elsewhere.

I thought CP was a family park to me when I went for the first time ever 2 years ago.Even though it has a lot more Roller Coasters then KI. I felt it was lacking some kiddie rides in that part of the park though. I think they would be able to make more kids rides there too. Back on topic now to the SOB and TG. I was wondering how long will it take until TG is tested after the rehab on it to know if this could be work on SOB? Wouldn't this be a major difference with the height SOB is compared to TG?

I really don't know where to post this, so I'm just gonna do it here.

I was at the park tonight and the SOB crate was gone. There was a nice little garden in its place. Also they moved the entrance gate down a little, so you cant even tell the line used to be there. It's kind of like the park is slowly erasing any remenants of the ride. It makes me think that it will never re-open.sad.gif

Also they moved the entrance gate down a little, so you cant even tell the line used to be there. It's kind of like the park is slowly erasing any remenants of the ride. It makes me think that it will never re-open.sad.gif

I'm guessing they moved the entrance back so people don't walk into the entrance.

On opening day I was riding Adventure Express and I looked over at Son of Beast then I looked again and noticed there was a older lady and a child walking around by the first drop and I was just dumbfounded by this. I had no clue why people were back there.

I really don't know where to post this, so I'm just gonna do it here.

I was at the park tonight and the SOB crate was gone. There was a nice little garden in its place. Also they moved the entrance gate down a little, so you cant even tell the line used to be there. It's kind of like the park is slowly erasing any remenants of the ride. It makes me think that it will never re-open.sad.gif

I agree. With part of the que being removed, I also believe that I have taken my last ride on Son of Beast!