Backlot Stunt Coaster Trains Being Stripped of Their Theming

DBru

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think these types of changes are not for the better. To me, the theming on the rides does indeed add to the experience. The stickers they speak of do not add anything to the actual ride, but they add to the overall experience. Look at Flight Deck. The movie posters, the fighter jet billboard, and the soundtrack that played in the queue all added to the experience. The coaster is the same (other than the desperate need of paint) but the magic is gone. Now, the magic of Backlot Stunt Coaster is gone. Just imagine if they suddenly remodeled Beast's station and did away with any of the theming up there. Or drained Diamondback's splash pool. Or removed the splash fins from the trains. Or did away with the remainder of The Bat's station at Vortex. Or removed the floral clock. All of these things are minor details that do nothing to enhance the actual rides, but they add much to the overall atmosphere of the park. It seems to me that Cedar Fair is losing that magic. Myself, I do miss Paramount. They did a lot of damage while they were there, but they also knew how to create magical atmosphere. If only we could get a company that could do both and do it well.

actually if they re-did Vortex's station and removed The Bat remains (I am assuming the old looking house style and the cut out for the track) it would not be received with much negative. More positive. Sort of fixing up an older ride.... but the de-coopering of the mini-coopers im not sure how this can be turned into good, but oh well.....

Edit: Haha thanks hookyboysb

actually if they re-did Vortex's station and removed The Bat remains (I am assuming the old looking house style and the cut out for the track) it would not be received with much negative. More positive. Sort of fixing up an older ride.... but the de-coppering of the mini-coopers im not sure how this can be turned into good, but oh well.....

BLSC's trains had copper in them?:)

We don't even know what our Backlot cars will look like yet! People are just jumping to conclusions. Just think about how different the transition of some rides from Paramount to Cedar Fair were. For example, The Crypt at Kings Dominion and The Crypt at Kings Island. One kept it's music, the majority of it's theming, and retained all of it's effects. The other got stripped of everything, and now sucks. Just because one park does something one way to make the transition, doesn't mean all parks will do it the same way. What if Kings Island keeps the cars the same "red, blue white" car order instead of "red, red ,red. White, white, white. etc." Ours may even keep the windshields and the headlights. Maybe they will only remove only the things that make it obvious it is a MINI. Don't assume things, and don't jump to conclusions! Just wait and see what Kings Island is doing.

I just want at least one decal on it - if it's just plain red, white, or blue, then that's crap. At least have wheels and a windshield. They've already taken enough from the ride, such as fog/mist in the dark part of the ride. Is the whole "Mini Cooper" theme going away? 5@5 has given us hints today.......from their answers, we're getting solid color trains. I think. <_<

The BMW license was apparently not renewed. That being the case, expect NOTHING relating to a MINI Cooper to remain...

Also note that it has not been disclosed who paid whom for said license. In any event, the parties did not mutually agree to renew it.

Terpy, who has said more than enough about that...

Hard Rock Park and Freestyle were sued. HRP settled with them. However, one has wonder why Premier would make those cars without a license to do so. You would think that Premier has the license to manufacte the Mini Cooper coaster cars like Sally Corp has the right to manufacte Scooby-Doo theming.

EDIT: Didn't BMW assist in the reproducing of the appearance(shape) of the coaster cars for Backlot? And on another note, the cars still look like Mini Coopers just without the decals and mirrors.

Uh, as I posted in that first link:

...BMW of North America LLC and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG filed the suit against FPI MB Entertainment Tuesday in U.S. District Court of South Carolina for trademark infringement and false designation of origin....

Read more: http://www.thesunnew...l#ixzz0k5q94yLb

BMW and Paramount Parks had a license agreement. Said agreement has apparently not been renewed.

If the ride was still called The Italian Job, then I would be upset about the trains being changed. Since it is now BLSC then the Mini Cooper stickers are not as important to the theming in my opinion. Do I wish it would have stayed the same, yes. Am I okay with the change. Yes, especially if it is going to get us one step closer to a new ride.

You can sort of tell that Premier might've kind of tried to weasel their way around the BMW thing... I mean, if they wanted to make MINI Coopers, they could've used the same cast as our ride. The fact that it's a little differently shaped and there are a couple of "tweaks" makes me think they were preparing themselves for: "Look, they're not MINI Coopers! We made MINI Coopers for the Paramount Parks, and these are different!"

Why dont they just change the whole theme of the coaster and forget the car-chase bull. I know this won't happen but, Cedar Fair is slowly ruining the park. Change the "CRYPT" to cycle something like the one at Kings Dominion.

There is a simple answer to that:

$$$$$$$$

However, i do feel that this move is pushing many to the breaking point, including me.

If only CF could better manage money. Its like a kid with a pocket full of change in a candy store, not realizing that they are going to rot out their teeth. However in this case:

The kid=CF

Pocket full of change=A monumentally unstable sum of money

Candy store=Intamin, B&M, Vekoma, GCI, etc....

Mouth full of teeth about to be neglected= Most if not all of the other rides with maintnence needing themes/and or no themes that already exist in the parks

Don't get me wrong, i love to see new bigger, badder, and better coasters and rides, but, you have to take care of what you have before splurging on a ton of other stuff.

Nuff said.......