Kings Island Power Outage 7-4-2010

dustyj1986

Actually, now that I think about it.... everyone on Monday appeared to be a season pass holder, and since I have a pass as well, I didn't notice the sign, but the people collecting money for parking never said anything.

since you didn't purchase a ticket because of your pass, how on earth would you know that they were or weren't telling persons buying their tickets there about ride closures or power shortages?

Many of the downtimes have been exaggerated. The outage only lasted for a short while. Some rides were taken out of commission for a short while as a precaution. Many of the rides that lost power had to go through their morning start up procedure in order to entertain guests again. A lot of this required maintenance to hop from one ride to another to get them started, just as they would in the early morning. From what I understand, some of the shops on IS continued to be closed as a precaution until they were fully able to investigate the cause of the brown out. I understand people being upset, but to say that the park lost power for several hours simply isn't accurate. The actual power loss was a brief incident.

Well...that's all very nice and probably even true, but one must remember, to a guest, perception IS reality. They have choices of where to spend their money. I am sure the park will try to do right by them now. A little understanding at the time would have helped a great deal. And some guests DO have unreasonable expectations. Most, however, do not.

Many of the downtimes have been exaggerated. The outage only lasted for a short while. Some rides were taken out of commission for a short while as a precaution. Many of the rides that lost power had to go through their morning start up procedure in order to entertain guests again. A lot of this required maintenance to hop from one ride to another to get them started, just as they would in the early morning. From what I understand, some of the shops on IS continued to be closed as a precaution until they were fully able to investigate the cause of the brown out. I understand people being upset, but to say that the park lost power for several hours simply isn't accurate. The actual power loss was a brief incident.

Well to open a ride or open a shop is the question. If they were not sure of what caused it I do not think it was wise to open the rides and take the chance of them going down again, and to be honest that sounded like a forced press release. Cause of the "brown out" there are still areas of the park affected. Such as the Fountains and who knows what else.

Well...that's all very nice and probably even true, but one must remember, to a guest, perception IS reality. They have choices of where to spend their money. I am sure the park will try to do right by them now. A little understanding at the time would have helped a great deal. And some guests DO have unreasonable expectations. Most, however, do not.

I agree with you entirely. Notice that I haven't stated my opinion on how the situation was handled. Simply, I wasn't there to see it. A lot of people read these forums, many more than most people think. I do my best to make everyone happy, and I almost always fail to one outsider's standards or another. I can, however, do my best to make things fair... as unhappy as it may make some people.

I really believe in freedom of the press. In some cases, threads like this run their course and must disappear. Typically you get 2 or 3 days worth of good info out of them before people either start attacking each other or blatantly making things up. This thread will hit that point. Just watch...

Dane runs the technical side of things for the site but rarely deals with the people or the park directly. I work with the park on different things and deal directly with the people. Robbie primarily runs Coney Island Central and has the second worst unknown job on the internet (besides mine!) of being a moderator. :rolleyes:

I really believe in freedom of the press. In some cases, threads like this run their course and must disappear. Typically you get 2 or 3 days worth of good info out of them before people either start attacking each other or blatantly making things up. This thread will hit that point. Just watch...

Actually, this has been a surprisingly civil discussion up to this point about a very emotional topic. Hopefully, it will stay civil.

Since most buy their tickets at Kroger, they should of had the signs at every ticket taker, and all ticket takers should have looked every guest in the eye and named all the rides that were down and then asked them "Do you still want to enter the park or come back another day?".

Oh boy, this again? You want them to turn away paying customers because a small fraction of the parks rides are closed? Well, as long as they have a handstamp...

I went 7-5-2010 Monday

and.........

Adventure Express ...................... (was down all day)

Flight Deck ................................... (was down all day)

Invertigo ...................................... (was down all day)

Congo Falls .................................. (was down all day)

Delerium ...................................... (was down all day)

because of this, other rides had longer lines than usual..... :(

I over heard some of the ride employees talking about how every time the mechanics think they have the power restored, they lose it again.

Also, it appears Delerium is having more than power issues and may be the last ride to be back in operation.

So has anyone been at the park lately? What's the update? Is everything back to normal yet?

And about the park not giving refunds, they should have at least handed out free tickets for the paying guests to come back. This way they don't lose any money and the guests are happy, everyone wins, but unfortunately they ****ed everyone off by not being prepared to deal with the situation professionally as they should have.

...and once again they sold tickets all day Monday (7-5-2010) without letting people know half the park was down, and then refused to offer another day to paying guests to come back. Since Kroger's sells 2 day tickets for the price Kings Island sells tickets for just one day, I don't think it would have hurt the park to offer a second day for those that payed for one day.

Where are you getting your information? Were you at the ticket windows all day on the 5th? And half the park was not down. And if you were to go read the signs on the sales building the park offers a Pay Once Visit Twice ticket for the exact same price as a One Day Ticket.

Selective, Delirium was down but has nothing to do with the the outage, Viking Ship is still down. Action stunt grill was closed but that might just be cause it was a weekday. Fountains still down and Invertigo(sp) was down also. Now I never take much time to notice anything in AZ but is Congo Falls not in operation anymore? It was dry as a bone.

sergt.jpg

From an electrician standpoint, it maybe wise for Kings Island to cut down on power. Maybe only run certin rides every day. And maybe only do 1 to 2 shows per named show a day till it becomes more cooler. With Spirit Song coming up tomorrow, and with the power the lights and everything else uses, the brown outs may get worse. I know most places in Columbus including hospitals are asked to cut down on power some how to keep brown outs and black outs from happening. That's just my ideas though. I know KI's Facebook page has alot of people thinking they knew what was going on or saying what happened. Lol.

and to be honest that sounded like a forced press release.

This was my thought when I read this, and I thank you Ryan for getting and sharing this information, but it also continues to point to a area that I think KI could leverage to improve their public image - communication. Based upon some of the comments here today, I went back and looked at their Facebook posts - there is no communication from the park about the issue, there is no response from the park to concerns posted, and there is also very little information shared from the park in any of the news stories either that I recall seeing.

While responding to concerns on FB may not be the best approach (just ask some members here), I'd imagine that a post from KI with the information that Ryan posted, an apology from the park for any inconvenience, and Guest Relations phone number would help. Same in the news articles.

From an electrician standpoint, it maybe wise for Kings Island to cut down on power. Maybe only run certin rides every day. And maybe only do 1 to 2 shows per named show a day till it becomes more cooler. With Spirit Song coming up tomorrow, and with the power the lights and everything else uses, the brown outs may get worse. I know most places in Columbus including hospitals are asked to cut down on power some how to keep brown outs and black outs from happening. That's just my ideas though. I know KI's Facebook page has alot of people thinking they knew what was going on or saying what happened. Lol.

Good points indeed, however I do not think on a packed weekend with company picnics and this big concert people will be too happy if a few rides and shows are shut down. People want to experience a whole park when they go. If that happened I am sure it would be mayhem. lol

Funny how you can observe the smallest of things, yet, did not observe the rides down sign near the ticket booths.

Actually, now that I think about it.... everyone on Monday appeared to be a season pass holder, and since I have a pass as well, I didn't notice the sign, but the people collecting money for parking never said anything.

Why would they say anything and hold up the line of people entering the parking lot?

The "rides down" signs are quite visible for everyone entering the park.

Unless you are one of those people that ignore the signs in an airport, then get mad at a flight attendant because they say "Enjoy your trip to Yemen" after going through the safety procedures, but the flight is already on it's way and you are supposed to be going to Detroit.

To do as you suggest, means the park would not operate at its full design in entertainment for it's patrons until the beginning of Halloween Haunt (cooler weather) The shows have already been cut down by this time. The park was built in and operates during a hot weather season here for the most part. Some people come to the park to ride one specific ride, see certain shows. To visit, buy a ticket and then to find out the ride you were hoping to experience was shut down for this reason is not fair to the patron; I see people from other states on a regular basis at the park; even other countries (4th of July we viewed a large number of Japanese guest at the park).

...and once again they sold tickets all day Monday (7-5-2010) without letting people know half the park was down, and then refused to offer another day to paying guests to come back.

Where to start....

KI has much more than 10 rides, so even with the 5 that were unfortunately down, it certainly does not equal half as you stated.

Funny how you can observe the smallest of things, yet, did not observe the rides down sign near the ticket booths.

Exactly, KI has over 80 rides and attractions to enjoy. I highly doubt they had over 40 rides and attractions not operating on Monday.