May 26, 201214 yr Ahh, good news - the Fair Board Spokesperson said "there’s no reason to be concerned the project won’t happen." I only hope she didn't intend that double negative
May 26, 201214 yr I'm curious as to how they expect to get 150,000 visitors from out of state. Plenty of people from New Albany and surrounding cities in Indiana. Takes 10 minutes to get there from my cousin's house in New Albany, Indiana. There are less than 40,000 people in New Albany...
May 26, 201214 yr I was willing to think that this would have worked out well. Now, it looks like a mess. Watching what happened up in Geuga Lake, the closing of the Beach, and now hearing most of the roller coasters may not be salvaged, then well why would anyone want to get involved with this? Water parks seem like a very expensive business venture, a bad deal with the state, and with multiple other parks near by, this seems to be a money pit...
May 26, 201214 yr Pat Koch has no ego, has lived her dream, vocally supports her children in their ventures- good or bad, and (most notably) is well over 70. Interpreting that she is not part of BB due to what some want to predict as failure is simply grasping at straws to voice a personal agenda.
May 26, 201214 yr Or not. No agenda here. And some things are not interpreted. They are the result of personal knowledge gathered over many years. Separately, Hard Rock Park. Wild West World. Wild Adventures. Geauga Lake. Here we go around in circles. Even Kentucky Kingdom itself. Twice so far.
May 26, 201214 yr And some things are not interpreted. They are the result of personal knowledge gathered over many years. Separately, Hard Rock Park. Wild West World. Wild Adventures. Geauga Lake. It's a good thing most of America does not feel this way. As our country has grown and succeeded globally with entrepreneurs and small business. Where one has failed, another has ideas that could be great.
May 26, 201214 yr Couldn't agree more. Remember, this proposal is to run a park on land leased from the state government. The Fair Board as landlord gave Six Flags fits. That relationship was one of many reasons that Gary Story's Six Flags decided to develop Six Flags Worlds of Adventure in lieu of its original plan, Kentucky Kingdom.
May 27, 201214 yr I'm curious as to how they expect to get 150,000 visitors from out of state. Plenty of people from New Albany and surrounding cities in Indiana. Takes 10 minutes to get there from my cousin's house in New Albany, Indiana. There are less than 40,000 people in New Albany... Yeah I know, what I meant (and should have typed) was Cincy and Indianapolis are about an hour and a half away. They could realistically draw 150,000 IF they had something to draw people in... BUT they need some attractions to do so. I'm not driving an hour and a half for a "glorified" mediocre water park with a merry-go-round....
May 27, 201214 yr If Paula and Daniel are involved, which they are, I think (It wouldn't surprise me if) they will say this is a better water park than HW. Just purely from a marketing standpoint (Which they are good at! And thats not meant to be a bad thing) I meant the glorified as sarcastic because the water park is far from glory days. It wont fool me though. I still think the park is doomed (If it ever gets started) especially if they don't have/add a major attraction within 1-2 years.
May 28, 201214 yr There will not be a major attraction in 1-2 years. Only if it's successful will they open Roller Skater and Thunder Run in 2014. Those will be the new attractions.
May 28, 201214 yr ...so to speak. And even that assumes that the park opens in 2013, which is looking less and less likely.
May 30, 201214 yr Kentucky Kingdom In Bad Condition: http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120529/NEWS01/305290070/Former-Kentucky-Kingdom-park-poor-condition-Bluegrass-Boardwalk-partners-say?odyssey=nav%7Chead Incredibly, after the last CJ article said no coasters will open with the park, this one says Thunder Run will. Also, note the building friction between the Kochs and the Fair Board. To make the best case for incentives, the Kochs are highlighting the current condition of the park, even calling it a blight. Who was the caretaker since Six Flags left? The Fair Board. And they are getting a little defensive about the park's current condition. August 16 may be a most interesting day.
May 30, 201214 yr Kochs request modification of lease to reflect 2014 opening: http://bluegrassboardwalk.com/bluegrass-boardwalk-confirms-request-for-2014-opening/
May 30, 201214 yr It sounds as if the Fair Board has done nothing for the protection of buildings or the rides. Yes the Koch's should be concerned. Also the ferris wheel would be great and capacity is incredible to open when the park opens. The water stuff sounds bad with the pumps and such too. It seems the fair board should have done something with these rides.
May 30, 201214 yr One wonders what the fair board was thinking or doing? I also recall that when Mr Hart was in the mix, he supposedly (iirc) was putting lots of his own money (that he has since asked the state to return) into maintainance in hopes of reopening the park - what exactly was that money spent on. Of course, this could be a little overblown posturing by the Koch group (to protect their image) if they are having issues on the financing side.
May 30, 201214 yr Author The kochs sound like they're commited to the project no matter what. The state of Kentucky too! I just wish the state would hurry up with the economic studys so a lease can be signed and they (Kochs) can start getting to work.
May 30, 201214 yr Economic studies do not have pre-ordained conclusions. As it stands today, EITHER the Kochs OR the state can opt out of the lease through August 16. May I remind you that you were once as gung ho about Mr. Hart as you are now about the Kochs? This is not a mercy mission. If either the Kochs or the Commonwealth decide this TENTATIVE lease is not in their best interests, the deal will fall apart.
May 30, 201214 yr Author Economic studies do not have pre-ordained conclusions. As it stands today, EITHER the Kochs OR the state can opt out of the lease through August 16. May I remind you that you were once as gung ho about Mr. Hart as you are now about the Kochs? This is not a mercy mission. If either the Kochs or the Commonwealth decide this TENTATIVE lease is not in their best interests, the deal will fall apart. Dude, Women, whatever you are, I'm commited to the park reopening no matter who's taking it over unlike you. How about you just hope for the park to reopen in the future and stop doubting the park.
May 30, 201214 yr How about you read the first page of posts again? My predictions throughout this matter have been spot on. I didn't start by predicting a big new ride in 2011, either. Planning I know. Negotiations, too. No one is a bigger park industry supporter than this writer. This deal will shock and amaze me if it happens. I'd not be planning on riding any Koch owned and operated roller coasters in Jefferson County, Kentucky in 2015.
May 30, 201214 yr If the Kochs cannot get this completed could anyone I doubt it, they have built a empire in the middle of no where and want to bring the charm of HW to Louisville and Kentucky!
May 30, 201214 yr They also, understandably, want to make money doing it. They are already finding out how difficult dealing with the Fair Board can be. Running a park on leased land in an urban area is a lot different than running a family park in rural Indiana. Add to that the challenge of starting with a park with a less than wonderful reputation and perceived clientele and equipment in bad condition. The challenges abound.
May 30, 201214 yr http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/louisville-news/Bluegrass-Boardwalk-opening-delayed-until-2014/-/9718340/14344798/-/3l6j1oz/-/index.html
May 30, 201214 yr I, too, thought Mr. Hart had had people taking care of the park. He said he did. This says not even some toilets were flushed: http://www.whas11.com/community/Bluegrass-Boardwalk-development-plan-details-deteoration-of-structures-many-attractions-inoperable-155800985.html
May 31, 201214 yr Something tells me that the toilets were filled by those that visited the park after it was abandoned. Same thing goes for some missing things.
May 31, 201214 yr What coaster were the trains taken from? That seems like a whole lot of trouble to go through for something that could be rather easily identified as having been stolen from the park. EDIT: Nevermind, the second article seems to state that it was Six Flags who tokk the trains when they abandoned the lease, that makes more sense.
May 31, 201214 yr Author Twisted Twins obviously and possibly Greezed Lighting trains where taking from the site. Could this be a possible lawsuit towards Six Flags, if in fact the rides where never winterized for the 2010 season? That's a safety hazard and also it shows that they was pulling out out of the park.
May 31, 201214 yr Could this be a possible lawsuit towards Six Flags, if in fact the rides where never winterized for the 2010 season? That's a safety hazard and also it shows that they was pulling out out of the park. Not winterizing shows incompetence, and has nothing to do with safety. Possible lawsuit? Maybe. A lawsuit can be filed for just about anything. Will a lawsuit settle anything? I doubt it. Who knows what the lease stipulated or if the statute of limitations has been reached. Extending the opt out was a smart move by the Kochs especially if the park is in as bad as reported.
Create an account or sign in to comment