Kentucky Kingdom

I have other sources. This is the first public allusion.

Often how what is said is far more important than what is said.

Without changes in the lease, there will be no Kentucky Kingdom by this time in 2016.

And after November 2015, if certain politicians are replaced with a different brand, the Kingdom is going to face the bleakest possible future. Seems some are upset that a Democrat governor cut a deal with the former treasurer of the Kentucky Democrat party and 2008 Mitch McConnell opponent (Bruce Lunsford) and his crony Ed Hart. And they can't wait to cut that under at the knees.

• Like 5

Can't watch on my phone but I'll definitely be watching this tomorrow (or later today rather).

Oddly enough, I want to visit KK primarily for them. I'd really be interested in what their back pools look like (if there is any at all...). These guys deserve to have a pool where they can have their rocks etc just as much as cetaceans do and there are some places (like Hershey Park from what I saw last) who have not grasped that concept yet and the pinnipeds are still left with completely barren tanks. They do A LOT of sleeping by nature so they lay on rocks and/or beaches. I like the exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo, LOVE the Indy Zoo's, SeaWorld Orlando has a gorgeous one, of the 3 parks San Antonio needs the most work as far as space is concerned so I am glad that SW included them in their expansion/revamp plans.

• Like 2

It reminds me of the show they used to have at KI when I was a kid. Which makes sense, because the news this season suggests KK seems to be stuck in that time period in a lot of ways.

It worries me that KK has a live animal show at all.

I guess for some places it is cheaper to just basically rent the seals/sea lions from an outside source, I doubt Ed would like how expensive pinniped upkeep is so I won't be shocked someone else owns them like it is with Hershey and back when KI and sister parks did have the shows (KI, KD and CW never actually owned the phins and sea lions).

Edit: I was right, they belong to Squalus Inc., same company Hershey worked with when they had the Patagonian sea lions.

• Like 2

I worked a booth on on both weekends, both days and can tell you the place was PACKED the whole time. The last day is normally dead, not so this year. Was told that the crowd on Sat night was insane. Because of the weather the riff raff was forced inside to steal. Thankfully Security was on top of things.

That said, I will be shocked if the numbers are low.

• Like 5

I'm still just sitting here, hoping that things can work out for this park... I don't want to lose Thunder Run and Lightning Run. They are such wonderful, wonderful coasters.

We will see what happens with T2... er, T3. If ever there were an SLC that is a candidate for Vekoma's new trains, it would be that one. And, if it were to receive them, maybe the coaster could be almost enjoyable.

At any rate, I can't fathom it being any worse than the instrument of torture that they call an SLC at a certain park in Ontario...

• Like 4

2015 season passes are now on sale for $59.95. Offer end September 28.

This page says there will be six new attractions for next year. Do we know what all six of those are (i.e. old attractions reopening after extensive rehab that weren't open in 2014), or does this indicate that we have a big announcement to come (hopefully not at 11:00 PM on a Saturday night again)?

EDIT: What sccard01 said, plus a question. :P

• Like 2

Gary Story would be proud. Stories are already being released, lowering expectations and pre-emptively blaming the weather:

http://m.wlky.com/weather/weather-record-tied-at-the-kentucky-state-fair/27713050

Hmmmm.

Kentucky State Fair attendance is typically announced, with great fanfare, on the Tuesday after the fair.

What do you do with REALLY BAD, BAD news?

You quietly drop it on a Friday, around noon, and hope no one notices.

And so they did.

A THIRTY YEAR LOW IN ATTENDANCE.

Let me say that again.

A thirty year low.

Over time, weather averages out. They blamed the weather. The Purge. The phases of the moon. (I made that last one up, I think).

Had attendance been up, Kentucky Kingdom would have boasted it was because of it.

Make of this what you will.

It isn't good. This is a drastic decline on a year when the entertainment package was perhaps the best ever.

And this was WITH a newly re-opened Kentucky Kingdom at 9.99. Unlike Mr. Hart and Company, I will point out that was ONLY with an advance purchase at Kroger.

http://m.wlky.com/news/heat-storms-impact-kentucky-state-fair-attendance/27790214

No way this is good news for the Fair Board, Kentucky Kingdom or Kentucky taxpayers.

No way at all.

At least there was no news of more operational gaffes and PR buffoonery during the fair.

There's that.

Someone there probably had a heaping helping of Thunderbird fortified wine at the end of the fair...

• Like 4

The reputation that Kentucky Kingdom has in much of the rest of the state cannot be underestimated. In places like Murray and Pikeville, just to name two, fiscal conservatives are livid that their tax dollars were used (that's their perception) to reopen Kentucky Kingdom. Many boycotted the fair. It doesn't help it's in "Liberal Louisville.". Or, alternatively, big city Louisville where "them people think they are better than us." Or "Democrat Louisville."

Next November is the Kentucky Governor's election. Kentucky Kingdom will be a campaign issue unless the GOP candidate is from Louisville. Bruce Lunsford's involvement will be trumpeted by ominous voices on campaign ads.

This cannot help Kentucky Kingdom. Heaven help the State if the Kingdom has either closed or been sold by then.

• Like 2