Kentucky Kingdom

To the general population, it doesn't matter how many leadership changes have happened. A young girl had her feet severed on a ride at a Six Flags park.

No. Most remember it happened at Kentucky Kingdom.

Then...the park puts in a new drop ride.

Separately:

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2015/05/kentucky-kingdom-opening-this-weekend-with-several.html

I thought that was in poor taste of the park, and honestly could have been an easy way to save some money. I haven't been in-the-loop on KK, and had wondered if it was the same tower from before. I figured it wouldn't be, but it had crossed my mind. 

EDIT: I had posted that I felt like the park had too many flat rides, and when I looked at their website again, it didn't look like it was as many as I originally thought. However, I noticed big letters across the top of the website saying that they will be open this weekend.

I don't know all the behind the scenes tax incentives, but I don't see much wrong about using existing tax laws to recoup capital investments, over a period of time.  Of course, I am taking the article that was presented at face value; and I paraphrase:  KK spends $15M this year, and will get some or all of that investment back over a course of time, if certain criteria are met.  Does FUN take advantage of these opportunties if they are available in the states they are located in? 

On a different note:  I actually like the Lexington, KY market run of Kroger/KK TV spot about the $59.95 season pass.  It's a decent commercial.  Kings Island's "Banshee's Back" spot, however is not impressive.  The narrator is monotone, the artwork is blase' and it just does not "hype" the park. 

• Like 2

I have no problem with the tax incentives.

I cannot say the same of the below market rent, the use of state owned property as collateral for loans, the subsidization of season passes by giving free parking on state owned property to buyers at apparently no cost to the park's investors...all while putting virtually all potential for profit in the hands of the political pals who own The New Kentucky Kingdom but virtually all risk of loss on the backs of Kentucky taxpayers...who, ironically are not eligible for such sucker deals as two days for less than $30 (you still get to pay for parking and may not even come back for day two). A Paducah or Pikeville visitor isn't eligible for that, yet a New Albany visitor is...

• Like 6

Well, I completely just miscounted.  Somehow I tricked myself into counting 7 previous weekends.  It's clearly too early for me to be doing math on a weekend.   :o

3 buyout days + 6 public days = 9 days

Fixed..

• Like 1

That number almost certainly counts the people who attended the private events on the 3 days the park was closed for them... After all, someone paid for those guests to attend the event at the park, so it's technically paid attendance...

• Like 1

He takes safety so seriously that he's going to have each ride inspected every week, you betcha. Maybe he should send a scout team up the road a bit to see KI inspecting their rides daily!

Having a ride inspected weekly isn't even a choice on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Why in the world would that be appropriate in real life?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic with that remark. All parks (except KK as we're finding out) inspects all their rides each day. Yes, all the coasters have the entire length of track walked and checked. RCT isn't something to infer information on how real parks operate.

You should really read the rest of the thread to get more info on KK's situation. Many people want the park to succeed. Its their own actions that warrant worry. They continually do things that set the park up for failure, at the expense of the Commonwealth's taxpayers no less. Government has no business running amusement parks.

I was completely joking. I know that RCT isn't really how parks operate. :)

I'm in KY, and haven't been able to make it to KK since the park reopened. I would love to see the park succeed, because I really would like to have a closer theme park. However I've always wondered why the park isn't advertised much in my area. hmm...

I'm just about 2 & 1/2 hours east of Louisville in Kentucky and I haven't seen any advertisement at all for KK nothing on news of TV or anything. I thought it was strange too. Living in Kentucky all my life I've never been to KK and I have little desire to do so I more into coasters than flat rides so I don't see much of a draw to KK.

On a side note. I want to know who's thought it was a good idea to paint T3 entirely bright red! It almost hurts my eyes to look at it. I think they should have added a secondary color to tone it down some. They could have made it red and black since they are in Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

He takes safety so seriously that he's going to have each ride inspected every week, you betcha. Maybe he should send a scout team up the road a bit to see KI inspecting their rides daily!

Having a ride inspected weekly isn't even a choice on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Why in the world would that be appropriate in real life?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic with that remark. All parks (except KK as we're finding out) inspects all their rides each day. Yes, all the coasters have the entire length of track walked and checked. RCT isn't something to infer information on how real parks operate.

You should really read the rest of the thread to get more info on KK's situation. Many people want the park to succeed. Its their own actions that warrant worry. They continually do things that set the park up for failure, at the expense of the Commonwealth's taxpayers no less. Government has no business running amusement parks.

I was completely joking. I know that RCT isn't really how parks operate. :)

I'm in KY, and haven't been able to make it to KK since the park reopened. I would love to see the park succeed, because I really would like to have a closer theme park. However I've always wondered why the park isn't advertised much in my area. hmm...

I'm just about 2 & 1/2 hours east of Louisville in Kentucky and I haven't seen any advertisement at all for KK nothing on news of TV or anything. I thought it was strange too. Living in Kentucky all my life I've never been to KK and I have little desire to do so I more into coasters than flat rides so I don't see much of a draw to KK.

On a side note. I want to know who's thought it was a good idea to paint T3 entirely bright red! It almost hurts my eyes to look at it. I think they should have added a secondary color to tone it down some. They could have made it red and black since they are in Louisville.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've never been to KK either, but they've never had the right ride that made me want to go. I had always rather spent my money on King's Island. To be honest, I felt like for the price and the type of rides at KK-- I could just go to the local county fair. There's a few roller coasters there, but it's not enough for me to want to drive to Louisville for.

The bright colors are there to distract you from the fact that they don't really test the rides.

• Like 3

Probably! Lol and Me too, I buy a season pass to Kings Island and I go every year it's the same distance for me to both parks and for the drive and and money Kings Island will always be my first, second, and probably third picks!

Probably! Lol and Me too, I buy a season pass to Kings Island and I go every year it's the same distance for me to both parks and for the drive and and money Kings Island will always be my first, second, and probably third picks!

I agree. I'd rather find a park that I KNOW my money will be well spent at. There was always something sketchy to me about KK and that's why I never went. 

• Like 1

My post above was meant to say that the 50,000 number likely includes the people who attended the park for the private events. I definitely agree with the "7 weekends" thing - I'm not sure how they're getting that at all

Do you think maybe the reporter heard them wrong and quoted "7" weekends instead of "several" ? It makes no sense for the park to say they have been open longer than they have for the season, especially if they are talking attendance. 

• Like 4

If it was the park, what's to gain by confusing visitors and making them think KK opened earlier then what it actually was? Only thing I can think of is to say they was open way before the other parks around the area... That just confuses people for next year possibly to think they will be open earlier then the other parks, when none if that is true... I was thinking it was the reporter that got it wrong, but now I don't know.

• Like 1

Kentucky Kingdom has done ~50,000 in attendance over nine days. Worse, they claim it took them seven weekends to do so.

A local high school fair is said to do 100-125k+ in attendance over four days.

Hmm...

The only thing I would comment on that would be how much the high school fair cost to get in and how much was food and stuff like that, they probably had way more attendance because it certainly did not cost as much as say KK to get in. Now 50,000 has me a bit worried about KK, I hope it just survives. The only thing that really boils my blood is when other members here compare KK to a way bigger park(like KI or CP) and say that KK needs to be like this or do things like they do. KK is not even close to being in the league of those parks and they are in different parts of their lifespan anyway, KK was built in 1989, so it is around 26 years old, when was KI just 26 years old, when they were just starting out with Paramount in 1994. You can't just compare KK to a park that gets 2.5 million more than it. However I am not saying that I am defending the park, the parks policies make me a little sick inside, with refusing ADA standards at Swampwater Jacks or not inspecting their coasters and rides daily and many more policies that are issues. I really want KK to succeed, but I do not know if it will.
  • Like 2