Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

^

WOW. Nice classic pictures thus far...

On The Vortex Pic:

That line looks awfully long...but if Vortex's capacity is anything like it is today back then, that line isn't as bad as it looks. Like the Diamondback line on opening day 2009...was supposed to be 6 hours, was only 3-4'ish.

On The Beast Pic:

I'm guessing this was shortly after the ride was first completed. I like that version of the "DO NOT STAND UP" sign better than the one the ride currently uses. I think it looks better.

My friends freak out if the line is outside the building. I try to explain things like high capacity rides and how the switchbacks probably aren't being used, etc. But all I get is blank stares. One of the many reasons that I love this site, I don't have to explain what pph stands for. :P

Ok I hate to ask but what does pph mean

• Like 2

Probably from the grease they used to use to lubricate the tracks. Nowadays, graphite is used. I still think the feel of wooden coasters changed when the switch was made. Kentucky Kingdom switched long after Kings Island. Camden Park still hasn't switched.

And I'm not sure what, if anything, Great Adventure uses. Poor Rolling Thunder! SQUEAL! (Son of Beast sometimes did this,

too!)

Of course, the chain still gets grease/heavy oil.

• Like 1

And I beleive the people in the picture work for Baynum Painting. As you can tell from their website (http://www.baynumpainting.com/), they specialize in painting amusement park rides. That picture likely was taken in 1983, when Baynum first painted (or stained) The Beast.

It is easier to ask which ride at KI they have NOT painted. See the list on this page: http://www.baynumpainting.com/latestprojects.html

P.S. How far can we take this thread off course?!

Let's see!

if im not mistakin, just around that corner over there is a future smoking section. :P

As a 20+ year 2 pack a day reformed smoker (5 years ciggie free, Yay air!) I'm really fine with the smoking sections in the park if people would just use them, but what drives me nuts are the people who feel entitled to share their bad habit with everyone else in the ride lines.

As Steve Martin once said, "Someone asked me, Mind if I smoke?.... I said, I don't know, do you mind if I fart?"

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

• Like 2