The Phantom Theater

Voicetek

This was a very memorable ride from Kings Island and one that is truly missed by all of its fans! This is also one ride that has lots of rumors surrounding it, mainly rumors of re-opening. Lets make this just a general discussion of this "Once Great" ride. We can share memories, photos, stories, or whatever. Even rumors you've heard about Kings Island bringing it back, or maybe strange rumors that were circling around while the ride was in existence. The topic is open for discussion!

• Like 1

I'll start this one off too...so many of you now know that The Crypt has been officially closed and already there are message boards online with people saying that they should convert that building into a "reimagined" Phantom Theater. Anyone think this would be cool? A few years ago people mentioned that they should convert the area that held the Action Theater where Sponge Bob 3-D was into a new Phantom Theater type ride. This area would also be great for theming as well. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I myself never got to go on Phantom Theater but I really wish I could have ridden it, I think that it would be really cool if a similar ride were to open.

dudecoasterman, I'm sorry that you never got to experience this ride! Have you ridden Boo Blasters? That ride is a disgrace to the Phantom Theater and dark rides in general. I really with KI would put a high quality dark ride in again. They are so much fun and very unique! Plus they are fun for the whole family and give you a chance to relax and cool off after a hot day riding coasters!

• Like 1

So you wanted to see the Theater did ya?

While I enjoy the competition you can have with friends on Scooby Doo/Boo Blasters, neither attraction is on the same caliber as Phantom Theater. When I look at the queue area in this video and see the Maestro playing the organ and turning around to taunt guests, it's sad knowing that that has since been replaced with flat, cardboard cut out ghosts that move side to side or up and down.

The ride was superior to the current inhabitant of the building in every way. It was more immersive, starting with the sound of howling wind and a crow cawing as you walked down the pathway to the building, to the maestro playing his organ as you enter the building, and onto the ride which was made up of animatronics and actual props, not just flat black light cutouts where you can see the walls of the building. Even as you walked out the exit you'd hear the Maestro calling "You'll be back...".

I'll end my rant by saying the biggest thing I miss is that on Phantom Theater is that you actually felt you had entered an old abandoned theater, rather than on Boo Blasters where the feeling is that they decided to put a ride in a big empty building, you can see the walls and at one point a large service/garage door is visible, I don't recall that being the case on Phantom Theater. I know the chances of Phantom Theater coming back are slim to none, but it would be nice for a dark ride of the same caliber of Phantom Theater and Enchanted Voyage to be put into that building. Time will only tell, but for now, I'll just be happy we still have a dark ride at all.

• Like 3

I agree Delirium13, this ride was way better quality than the junk we have now. However, I am glad that they kept it a dark ride at all. I'm hoping that KI will come to their senses and put in another high quality dark ride either in the same building, or maybe add another one someplace else. I miss the quality dark rides that they used to have like The Enchanted Voyage, Smurfs and Phantom Theater. I loved the use of animatronics and I hate the use of stupid cardboard cutouts they have now. It's cheap and it's a major insult to the once great dark rides that once existed in that building. It's also an insult to their guests as well! Do they think we pay good money to come out and see some cardboard? Not me! I hope we see another unique, high quality dark ride in the future. We can only hope I guess!

Rumor had it that my friend "JD" did the voice of the organist. I find this hard to believe as he's not a voice actor but keep hearing this over and over. Oh hell, it's John Dillon, there's no need to keep some sort of anonymity is there? Can anyone vouch for this rumor?

I agree. I miss Phantom Theater every time I'm at KI. What's even more insulting that PT was replaced by cardboard cut outs is that the system doesn't even work properly. To date, I've never had a satisfactory experience with the blasters. We've been lucky to get 2 of 3 blasters working at all on a typical visit, and then you can shoot at the targets less than 2 feet away, and they still won't register. So, most rides we just give up and take a restful spin through the cardboard jungle.

I believe Sally did Kennywood's Ghostwood Estates, so why were Kennywood's blasters all working perfectly with the much easier-to-use laser sights? I know KI has made strides in upkeep and maintenance throughout the park lately, but Boo Blasters really puts a dent on Cedar Fair maintenance.

I agree. I miss Phantom Theater every time I'm at KI. What's even more insulting that PT was replaced by cardboard cut outs is that the system doesn't even work properly. To date, I've never had a satisfactory experience with the blasters. We've been lucky to get 2 of 3 blasters working at all on a typical visit, and then you can shoot at the targets less than 2 feet away, and they still won't register. So, most rides we just give up and take a restful spin through the cardboard jungle.

I believe Sally did Kennywood's Ghostwood Estates, so why were Kennywood's blasters all working perfectly with the much easier-to-use laser sights? I know KI has made strides in upkeep and maintenance throughout the park lately, but Boo Blasters really puts a dent on Cedar Fair maintenance.

Ghostwood Estates is quite a bit newer than Boo Blasters.

Boo Blasters is actually 2 years newer than Ghostwood Estates. My visit to Kennywood was at the very end of 2011, and all blasters worked perfectly each ride. Maybe I was lucky, but the ride seemed very well maintained in general.

I understood what you were saying, but Boo Blasters technically debuted in 2010. It was no doubt a cheap re-theme, but that's what we got, and it should have been the park's responsibility to debut the new ride with flawless functionality. I believe I read that the blasters were all repaired and re-calibrated for the grand opening, and everything was working great at first. However, here we are, a couple years later, with a poor-mediocre blaster system and deteriorating theme. Maybe KI should have invested in all new blasters with laser sight for the Boo Blasters debut. Regardless, all I'm saying is that this is a lack of maintenance at this point. I highly doubt the Ghostwood props and blasters that I touched at the end of 2011 received no maintenance from the 2008 grand opening.

I miss the Phantom Theater a lot. It reminds me so much of my childhood going to KI and even some of my teen years. Although I do enjoy Boo Blaster (As noted by my avatar), I really wish we still had the classic Phantom Theater ride.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this forwards....I loved the Phantom Theater...in fact it was what got me to buy my first seasons pass to Kings Island. I would LOVE to see either a reboot of the ride in Coney Mall or a rebirth of the Haunted House from Coney Island, Cincinnati. I would use the space occupied by the old Flight Commander area plus the Skeeball building area for the attraction.

• Like 3

Kings Island has the best chance of Phantom Theater 2 now under current Cedar Fair leadership better than in years. I would also like to think a nice dark ride where Crypt was Air Conditioned, Also like the thoughts on the use of Action Theater building. Anyway this would be a great ride addition and perfect for the park.

• Like 3

I think Action Zone would be perfect for this type of attraction too. They could fit a soundstage sized building right where Timberwolf Amphitheater is located. Maybe a haunted Irish castle. Maybe Leap Castle (although the Chillingham Castle of Northumberland, England has a better ring to it...)

• Like 4

I would love to see Phantom Theater make a triumphant return to Kings Island. That would be great for The Crypt's building, though I wonder if it would fit the Rivertown theming. (Then again, it's not as if Mayan ruins and archeology were indicative of river-themed entertainment!) I would love to see it in Action Zone, as well.

Well you could retheme it slightly to fit into Rivertown and give it an old west stage show and saloon feel. Could make it sort of like Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris where they tweeked Haunted Mansion slightly to fit in with a wild west theme. Or if they wanted to keep the same queue and all they could put in a haunted mine themed dark ride and then most of the scenery there would still work as is.

I would love to see at least some new dark ride added in the park that is more on the caliber of Phantom Theatre as well. That is the ride I miss most of any that was there. I would ride it over and over on every visit. Even watching the old videos you can tell it wasn't an extremely high quality but it is still very good by today's standards. Compared to about any other regional park's dark rides it would probably still be the best, only being beaten out by Disney and Universal.

The fact that such a lackluster attraction as Scooby Doo/Boo Blaster took it's place is what I think makes it worse. Would have been ok with the change if it was the same quality but it feels so cheap and as others have said it never seems to work well. Wish they would at least give it a refurb and better guns where you can see where you're shooting at too. Honestly I think if they want to keep the cheaper look but have it be better is to give it a Peanuts theme and make it part of Planet Snoopy. The 2d cut out would actually fit the look a bit for the characters at least.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I don't know if anybody has seen this or not but there is a rare commercial for Phantom Theater on YouTube just type Phantom Theater Advertisement Video 1992. Awesome video, the style of the commercial reminds me of another commercial I saw on YouTube that Kings Island made it was a commercial for the original Bat, which was also great.

• Like 3

Yes, two very well done commercials of a Kings Island past.The Bat commercial is phenomenal, and even shows a off-ride video of The Bat. They shouldve aired that last year to promote the New Bat. All the TV's of Ohio and folks down in Kentucky couldve seen a memory of their childhood or perhaps create a new one. I know it always make me smile whenever i hear some little kid asking his parents if he can ride The Bat.

• Like 3