Which ride would you get rid of?

SonofBaconator

Viking Fury is the hidden gem of Kings Island.

Agreed, a great family flat that doesn't spin. I can't ride anything that spins too much, but I enjoyed Viking Fury a ton last season when my son was 2. In fact we had both my son and his grandmother on Viking Fury last year; not many places in KI you can get 2 people 70 years apart to enjoy the ride as much as the other.

snapback.pngBrowntggrr, on 18 July 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

snapback.pngThrill_Biscuit, on 18 July 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Yes. It even has the world's largest wooden museum piece. I hear it's visible from space.So visible- I'm surprised aliens have not blown it up yet. :ph34r: Okay. One more time...

Hilarious

Firehawk is a ride that I just simply do not like, but I'm sure it's a favorite for alot of people. I wouldn't want to get rid of it, or any other ride. Kings Island is great in that it has something for everyone.

I'm with you. I sort of liked Firehawk until I rode Manta at Seaworld this year. Now every time I see Firehawk I think to myself "what a joke."

They're completely different experiences. I've never been on Manta, but I can tell by the POV.

Firehawk is a Vekoma coaster where all of the coasters are nearly the same (Nighthawk) and Manta is a unique flying coaster by B&M with water effects and theme...

I'm with you. I sort of liked Firehawk until I rode Manta at Seaworld this year. Now every time I see Firehawk I think to myself "what a joke."

They're completely different experiences. I've never been on Manta, but I can tell by the POV.

Firehawk is a Vekoma coaster where all of the coasters are nearly the same (Nighthawk) and Manta is a unique flying coaster by B&M with water effects and theme...

I know what makes them different, and I know who the manufactures are. I don't need a POV to tell me that, as I have ridden both multiple times.

They are both flying coasters. That is what I was comparing in my original post. It is a joke that Firehawk is even in the same classification as Manta.

• 6 months later...

Flight Deck.

Even though it is an enjoyable ride. It is over rather quickly and at times seems to beat the absolute tar out of you. Especially with the OTS restraints on it. Now let it be known, I am one that said I could tolerate all of the Holiday Worlds woodies and even Sonny wasn't too bad IMO. But for some reason, Flight Deck just beats me.

I like the suspended aspect of the ride, because its becoming a rarity nowadays, but the short duration of the ride, the roughness, and the absence of themeing after the Paramount buyout just all make this ride an after thought to me. And if the length of the lines for this ride are any indication, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

In addition, Flight Deck sits on a lot of prime real estate right now. The long trek to get to the ride itself along with the plot the ride sits on seems like a significant amount of space. And with Son of Beast out of the way and Thunder Alley hearby excavated as well, who's to say that Flight Deck wouldn't be next on the chopping block when it comes down to an Action Zone re-haul? With Flight Deck's life span diminishing, it looks to me like it would be a decent move to start fresh.

^I see your points, but...

I waited 30 minutes to ride Flight Deck this past summer--on a weekday. It is obviously still popular.

Dare I ask, what real theming did Top Gun have? It had a couple scattered props, a gigantic billboard, and a painted bridge. There really is no difference in the ride experience of Top Gun and Flight Deck.

Could it be argued that much of Flight Deck's popularity, or lack thereof, is due to it's secluded location? It essentially is hidden at a dead end with no visible draw that way. With some kind of beacon, even just a sign pointing to Flight Deck saying "Flight Deck roller coaster -> ", would at least draw a bit more people to the area.

I imagine that Thunder alley met its demise as an overall plan with the former SOB grounds otherwise they wouldn't have removed it- unless, of course it was damaged in the demolition process.

I just recall the day I was in Action Zone last year and came across CF employees looking at the former SOB structure making hand motions and saying "we have a few months until that announcement is made."

• Like 4