Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror

coasterfanatic83

Pops out

"RAWR"

Pops back in.

Reptar? I actually like those props/actors they scare people to death.

I wonder if it will actually be a cavern like setting, with bits of a real museum inbetween rocks and crevases.

Slaughterhouse has original ideas, not just a poprawr.

I might try Mysteria this year. I have one night for Haunts, one night for rides.

I would truly love some Ripley's Believe or Not thrown into the waxworks. If there's a RBON in my vacation zone, I'll go to it immediately. I love their architecture. I love the sideshow atmosphere.

• Like 1

Did they do any character work in the audition? IF there is one thing I hate is this:

Pops out

"RAWR"

Pops back in.

I mean come on, pop out and say something, stalk the group. Do something out of the box.

As cliched and cheesy as it sounds, that's actually the best method of scaring people (minus simply going RAWR). The quick in-and-out is key when dealing with a haunted house, because you want to not only scare them, but scare them QUICKLY. It's also done so as to keep your audience's suspension of disbelief in check; ergo, they'll be more afraid of something they only get a glimpse of rather than an extended period of time. If there's a situation when a monster is in view of guests and stalking, it's more used as a distraction so another monster can pop in and out and catch the audience off guard.

The other key aspect of haunted houses when it comes to scaring is scaring FORWARD. You need to keep guests continuously going forward so as not to cause multiple groups to crash into each other in a section. Therefore, most scares are directed at the middle or back of the group. This is why you hear so many people offer advice in the guise of being at the front of the group if they are scared. Of course, people are inclined to not be front and center when walking through a haunted house, and believe the middle to be the safest.

That brings me to the final point in this mini discussion that's more out of place in the current conversation than a vampire at Olive Garden, which is that none of what I just said is laid in stone. Why? Because people are SCARED when they come through a haunted house. It's our JOB to weed out and find those in the group that are the most scared, even if that means splitting up the entire group to get to the one person, or even if it's the ENTIRE group that's scared.

Happy Haunting...

• Like 5

Ringmaster has a point when he talks about finding the scaredy cat. Their fear can reverberate down the hall.

Whenever I see a person riding the Monster with an expression as if they were reading the New York Times, I laugh. Who goes onto rides to diss them? Or keep themselves as cool and reserved as possible? Riding an amusement as if it were a bore? Hardly anyone. That's why they stand out so much when they do ride as if it were a mere distraction in their busy day of lurching.

(When I see an expressionless person on a ride ( and they are usually alone, for a reason), I think of Lurch from the Addams Family.)

But when it comes to Haunted Houses, the patrons sometimes begrudge themselves the party they paid for. They go through the maze yawning, bragging that they are not frightened, etc.. It's a bore. I hate to be with those sort of people in my group. They spoil the fun that I bought a ticket to have. I try to winnow that type away from me.

If only there were a way for the Gatekeeper of the houses to lead that sort into a different door, that led into an empty alley. They would get what they wanted, a completely scare free experience, and the patrons that want to join in the fun can have the scares that they want.

Sometimes I scream because I'm with someone who's easily scared, and it's fun to watch their faces. A monster scares me, I scream, my scaredy cat friend screams, and it's fun. I'm a patron scaring a fellow patron, imagine the fun of being paid to do the same thing? One has to accept the mindset that the world has been taken over by these monstrous things, and allow themselves some fun.

• Like 11

^ THIS. There's no better way to say it than that. Nothing gets under my skin at Haunt more than being trapped with a herd of people--of any age, really--who go out of their way to announce they aren't scared, then try to either scare the scareactors or deadpan and then get in the scareactors' faces in an attempt to intimidate them. You're at an amusement park during Halloween, for goodness sakes!

On the other end of the spectrum, I get a kick out of watching groups of people/couples where one person is terrified, but all members are still having fun. It's not like they're making fun of the scared person, because the scared person is still laughing, too. That's the point of a scary Halloween event for me.

• Like 6

I laugh on many of the rides, I think it's my way of dealing with being dropped from a great distance. All rides are ultimately fun, no matter how scary, that's why we ride them.

Haunted Houses are the same. It's not childish to scream in a Haunted House, not if you gear yourself up for it, the same way you feel the excitement build in line while watching the trains go up the hill.

Let's face it, we all watch the coasters while we wait in line in order to build up the fear factor.

I think Cornstalkers will always be a let down for me, because I spent Autumns running through real cornfields playing hide and go seek. It's that 7 year old fear of being found that wells up inside as I got through the Haunts. I'm hiding, but they are finding.

I'm pretty sure Sam the Butcher has seen my real fear face, due to something that happens in Slaughterhouse. I'm not saying what it is, you'll have to gear up and find out for yourself.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Sam the Butcher has seen my real fear face, due to something that happens in Slaughterhouse. I'm not saying what it is, you'll have to gear up and find out for yourself.

Even though Sam doesn't remember your real fear face specifically, as he's done the same thing to quite a few others besides yourself, he appreciates that you remember! ^_^

• Like 4

I have really high hopes for this attraction! Halloween Haunt has always been pretty great, but I wish they could somehow re-establish the beginning scene of Urgent Scare. Speaking of which, did they completely shut down Dinosaurs Alive for this? I've never been to DA, but I figured it might interfere with Urgent Scare since they got rid of Spongebob 3D for it. Also, has anything been said about adding more roamers throughout the park? I unfortunately didnt go to HH last year, but in the past few years it seemed as if the number of roamers were getting scarcer and scarcer.

Sorry if I got a bit off- track, I'm just pretty excited. 10 more days! ;)

They added two scare zones into the mix alongside the two from last year. One is supposedly in front of Kings Island Theater (Nightmare Alley), the other in Action Zone (Grimm Blvd). They may be going for a hybrid of Halloween Horror Nights (small heavily themed scare zones) and Knott's Scary Farm (monsters in entire areas of the park like Coney Mall).

^ THIS. There's no better way to say it than that. Nothing gets under my skin at Haunt more than being trapped with a herd of people--of any age, really--who go out of their way to announce they aren't scared, then try to either scare the scareactors or deadpan and then get in the scareactors' faces in an attempt to intimidate them. You're at an amusement park during Halloween, for goodness sakes!

On the other end of the spectrum, I get a kick out of watching groups of people/couples where one person is terrified, but all members are still having fun. It's not like they're making fun of the scared person, because the scared person is still laughing, too. That's the point of a scary Halloween event for me.

I mentioned this last year I think...

...when I go with my friend to Haunt, he does this - and you don't know how much it annoys me. (Yes, he is my friend, but all friends can be annoying) - I think, "Hey, you're not cool...) when he jumps from corner to corner and attempt to scare the person, or when he laughs in the face of the scareactor, blah, blah, blah. I don't like it, that's all. Just have fun, like you said - YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED. It's Halloween Haunt.

• Like 3

I mentioned this last year I think...

...when I go with my friend to Haunt, he does this - and you don't know how much it annoys me. (Yes, he is my friend, but all friends can be annoying) - I think, "Hey, you're not cool...) when he jumps from corner to corner and attempt to scare the person, or when he laughs in the face of the scareactor, blah, blah, blah. I don't like it, that's all. Just have fun, like you said - YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE SCARED. It's Halloween Haunt.

Personally, and also as advice I gave to my (former) actors, with proper group work and planning you can embarass them and get them to join the fun. Target someone else in the group for the scare, and while they're distracted trying to intimidate the initial actor, someone else comes in and takes a turn.

This may or may not work depending on the attitude of the person, which judging of character is something that comes with time. Eventually, reading groups and understanding how to manipulate the strengths and weaknesses of each within a couple seconds starts becoming second nature. Each group has their own dynamic in addition to each person having their own. There's more psychology involved in scare-acting than one would anticipate. No fears though, you don't need a PhD in order to score that precious scare.

To bring this back on topic, CoT concerns me a little, just because I have no clue what to anticipate as far as the story and theming of the house. At first, I figured it'd be similar to Cedar Point's Erie Estates in theming, with a graim background, but Cavern of Terror makes it sound like more of a dungeon experience.

Working a brand new attraction, in addition to working in a brand new location, raises a few questions I like to ask fellow workers and vets of the Haunt team without revealing them to the general public. Unfortunately, I cannot find where they congregate on the interwebs similar to Cedar Point's Screamsters. If anyone has any info please let me know, I'm prepared to identify myself as an employee, but I'd ask them same to those who respond.

• Like 2

I am with RingMaster on this one...given KI's history in new attractions I do NOT have my hopes up for this one. However, I'm open minded and I cross my fingers that I will be very surprised. I also agree with some thoughts on pop-out scares; they are scary. Period. BUT, the redunancy of reptiveness could kill this type of scare. Here's what will happen...a couple of actors will do this and get some AWESOME scares. The other actors WILL take note and start to mimic the technique...all of a sudden the entire attraction is just pop-out scares and the fright factor is lost.

Trust me, I know exactly what I'm talking about. What I hope to see is some actors as wax figures, museum attendants, "customer" plants, a couple "pop-outs" and some general "stand and stare" creepiness. Would be awesome to see some tight scripted dialogue and character acting, given the whole "gypsy" vibe that I'm getting. This could also be an attraction to really take advantage of some cool lighting/sound/fog/scent effects given it's location. So...I'll keep my fingers crossed, but not to tight.

Happy Haunting...

• Like 2

I think fog in the building could work. It would add a lot to the experience.

People always say fog could never work on Backlot, Flight of Fear, and Adventure Express due to the smoke detectors. How does it work with Mysteria, where there is so much fog you can barely see your hand in front of your face?

PS: Welcome to the community, The Forsaken!

• Like 1

Heat sensors. Obviously, heavy fog will easily trip smoke detection in any establishment. Common practice in the haunted attraction industry is to use heat detection in place of smoke detection. Obviously nothing in the haunts (or any themed facility) should get hot as fire unless it's used as an effect.

Just some thought...

PS: Thank you.

• Like 3

Simple fix! I suppose we CAN have fog in various attractions if Kings Island were to do due adjustments. With the way park improvements are going, could we possibly see this soon? One would hope...

Why didn't attractions that had fog have heat detectors in the first place, to assure the effects could stay?

Did they do any character work in the audition? IF there is one thing I hate is this:

Pops out

"RAWR"

Pops back in.

I mean come on, pop out and say something, stalk the group. Do something out of the box.

They've done it before, this one time last year i was followed through the whole house by a wolf. It just depends if you come across a lazy actor or not.

I would also love if Kings Island got a walking plant actor like Carowinds has, that wanders around in a pot/plant costume and sits somewhere by a curb like it's a decoration, then they jump out when people pass. It was really effective.

• Like 1

^You mean you dont like our swamp monster? Did anyone else notice what the lady in the video by the news station about HH was wearing western style garb? For once the attraction may fit into RiverTown!

Simple fix! I suppose we CAN have fog in various attractions if Kings Island were to do due adjustments. With the way park improvements are going, could we possibly see this soon? One would hope...

Why didn't attractions that had fog have heat detectors in the first place, to assure the effects could stay?

Fire alarm systems aren't the only thing that have an effect on whether or not something stays or goes. Maintenance costs are another factor.