Ten years ago today…

BoddaH1994

I wasn't the enthusiast I am now back then and was living 2 hours away at the time. In fact I don't remember KI building anything until my parents showed me the video and then I got hooked. I do remember being so hyped about it and my church youth group took a trip for Spirit Song that upcoming summer and I remember my first ride on Banshee being in the front row with the youth minister, his daughter, and this other guy. It was a moment I'll never forget. My first announcement experience was the Orion announcement and I really loved that experience. Sadly I think In Person announcements like that are a thing of the past with social media being the big thing nowadays so they don't really need to go through all the time and money to plan a big in person reveal when they can just share it all over social media which almost everyone has nowadays. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wasn't the enthusiast I am now back then and was living 2 hours away at the time. In fact I don't remember KI building anything until my parents showed me the video and then I got hooked. I do remember being so hyped about it and my church youth group took a trip for Spirit Song that upcoming summer and I remember my first ride on Banshee being in the front row with the youth minister, his daughter, and this other guy. It was a moment I'll never forget. My first announcement experience was the Orion announcement and I really loved that experience. Sadly I think In Person announcements like that are a thing of the past with social media being the big thing nowadays so they don't really need to go through all the time and money to plan a big in person reveal when they can just share it all over social media which almost everyone has nowadays. 

You hit the enthusiast overboard stage during the Orion announcement season :P

• Haha 2

It felt like a breath of fresh air.

Cedar Fair gave us a reliable hyper in 2009 which took attention away from Son of Beast which would operate for the last time that same year. 3 seasons past with the World’s Tallest and Fastest wooden coaster out of commission until it was announced that the ride would be biting the dust in 2012. 2013 hit and an empty plot of land, guarded by tall construction fences, kept guests wondering what was to come. The season progressed as excellent marketing kept guests wondering up until August 8th. The random screams from an unknown creature kept people on their toes.

Finally it was announced and the overall reaction was what I stated earlier: a breath of fresh air. A park that had survived off of Arrows, Vekomas, PTCs, Premiers, (and a well known wooden coaster) for so many years was getting its first custom modern inversion machine since 1987 (not to mention the park’s second B&M.) It was new, it popped visually, broke records, and had awesome theming. I’m not saying this because this is a KI fansite, but Banshee was arguably the best executed teaser campaign from start to finish out of any coaster I know of.

• Like 4

One thing that was unique at the time was the 10:00p announcement time. Don said that many media outlets reached out to him to inform him of his “typo.” They thought it was supposed to be 10:00a! Hear the whole story: https://linktr.ee/towertopics?utm_source=linktree_profile_share&ltsid=1bdf26ff-2a63-40f0-ab10-cb96252d7a4e

• Like 2