Kings Island Winterfest on Groupon

BoddaH1994

This is interesting. I’ve never seen KI on Groupon. I’ve seen Cedar Point and even some really big players like BGT and Universal. 

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-kings-island-winterfest23?utm_campaign=UserReferral_mih&utm_source=undefined

I suppose it’s a good opportunity for friends and family to get tickets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Even though the merger is all but consummated, this screams:

Welcome to Six Flags over Kings Island!

Normally I’d agree, but Kings Island was kind of unique in not offering a Groupon deal, especially since Cedar Point has done it for years. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

At least it isn't a complete giving away the gate.  Makes you wonder why they think attendance will be down for WF this year to offer that....

I don’t think they’re concerned with WF attendance. I think they are trying to get people in the gate so that they can attempt to leverage them for season pass sales. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Or flat. They’re adding capital so typically that comes with an expectation of increased pass sales at a park like Kings Island. 

I have heard many call it Invertigo without the loops or it is a kiddie ride, so maybe the new attraction isn't being marketed to the right demographics...

21 hours ago, disco2000 said:

So you think season pass sales are down compared to prior years?

My family have all had season passes since 2002...but this year I am the only one who renewed mine. There were various reasons...but It seemed like the major one was that they have been unhappy with the quality of Halloween Haunt, they did not mind that it has become more family friendly...just that it's pretty much the same haunts year after year after year, and now less of them...and then there's the Winterfest decorations being put up while it is still going on. So, that is 5 less passes that the park will be getting next year...which does make me sad...but I don't disagree with their decision.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, standbyme said:

My family have all had season passes since 2002...but this year I am the only one who renewed mine. There were various reasons...but It seemed like the major one was that they have been unhappy with the quality of Halloween Haunt, they did not mind that it has become more family friendly...just that it's pretty much the same haunts year after year after year, and now less of them...and then there's the Winterfest decorations being put up while it is still going on. So, that is 5 less passes that the park will be getting next year...which does make me sad...but I don't disagree with their decision.

That is sad to hear, but totally understand.

Unfortunately as long as more people buy a "new" pass than the number of those "not renewing", they will unfortunately continue this trend.

Once the number of people not renewing outpaces the number of new passes being sold, we will continue to see them test the waters of how much can they cut.