Kings Island 2024 Summer Live Entertainment

Timchat2

18 hours ago, guy1115 said:

Didn't say they were Broadway caliber shows, but through Paramount ages, those were the highlights.  

I’m 100% on board with School of Rock. Magic of the Movies? Not so much. 

I saw School of Rock Live an embarrassing (in a good way) amount of times. I’d wear my black band shirts to the park and sit in the front row. I thought I was so cool. Ah, loved that show. 

But bubbles for a month is cool too, I guess. 

At least there are still 4 shows (for a month lol)

The biggest disappointment is the bubble show.    That theater is a great space for a real production      

The country shows have not been good.    But the 70s show was pretty cringy.  

Retrospect was good but not how they split it into two short shows. 

I wonder if they will cut the cast from the bike show.   It was big the last two seasons.  It won’t be surprising if they do.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 1:00 AM, super7 said:

The country shows have not been good.    But the 70s show was pretty cringy.  

I don't love country music, but both American Country and Down Home Country were solid shows. 

Vocally, I'd dare you to find a better KI summer season show than both years of the 70s productions in the Festhaus.  And the last third of the show - the disco section - was high energy, with great choreo.  Not sure why you were cringing.

2 hours ago, KirkSheppard said:

I don't love country music, but both American Country and Down Home Country were solid shows. 

Vocally, I'd dare you to find a better KI summer season show than both years of the 70s productions in the Festhaus.  And the last third of the show - the disco section - was high energy, with great choreo.  Not sure why you were cringing.

Not the talent.  The playlist and format .  When 1/3 of a show is TV show themes, it’s cringeworthy. 

Additionally the show followed the same snippety format most other Festhaus shows  follow.  Small snippets of songs that don’t really showcase the vocalist talent 

The Feasthaud shows cast too many vocalists as well.  So each one only sings a little in the show.   Coupled with is what usually high school level choreography because they cast all vocalists instead of vocalists and dedicated dancers.  

The formula used for Retroseoct and especially Center Stsge Live (less vocalists with a dedicated dancers / longer versions of songs / dancers doing higher level  choreography ) is a much better format to showcase the performance talents

21 hours ago, super7 said:

<< Not the talent.  The playlist and format .  When 1/3 of a show is TV show themes, it’s cringeworthy. >>

Well, you would have hated "Way Too Much TV," then, which is the show that caused me to fall in love with Kings Island Entertainment.

<<Additionally the show followed the same snippety format most other Festhaus shows  follow.  Small snippets of songs that don’t really showcase the vocalist talent >>

Personally, I love that format.  Theme park shows are notoriously hard on the voice; belting rock and pop songs 4 - 5 times a day is a whole different type of singing than what you would do in a Broadway show.  Having multiple singers allows them to spread the work around.

<<Coupled with is what usually high school level choreography because they cast all vocalists instead of vocalists and dedicated dancers. >>

Did you watch the 70s shows?  The dancing was very professional and high quality.  And I doubt that Greg Hellems, faculty member at Wright State, would appreciate his choreo being called "high school level."  Triple threat entertainers, like the ones we saw this past season, are multi-talented.

<<The formula used for Retroseoct and especially Center Stsge Live (less vocalists with a dedicated dancers / longer versions of songs / dancers doing higher level  choreography ) is a much better format to showcase the performance talents>>

I didn't enjoy the choreography for Retrospect, but it was a lot better than the show the year before.  Different tastes for diferent crowds, I guess!

21 hours ago, super7 said:

Center Stage Live was probably one of the strongest Bandstand shows in recent years. Everything really came together well there.

Club K.I. in 2022 seemed to get the short end of the stick with so much going on production-wise across the park. It's one of the few shows I can recall receiving some cuts and reblocking after debuting, so it appeared the park was aware it wasn't everything it could have been.

• Like 2

I thought Center Stage Live was just about perfect for a theme park show  It was disappointing that it only ran 1 year.

it’s a shame they put the show that usually showcases in the best way the talent of the singers and  the dancers  on that awful concrete outdoor stage, with no seating for the audience while lesser quality shows get the better venues.

The one year the bandstand show Off The Charts was at International Showplace was nice.   You could sit down and actually see the performers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, super7 said:

I thought Center Stage Live was just about perfect for a theme park show  It was disappointing that it only ran 1 year.

it’s a shame they put the show that usually showcases in the best way the talent of the singers and  the dancers  on that awful concrete outdoor stage, with no seating for the audience while lesser quality shows get the better venues.

The one year the bandstand show Off The Charts was at International Showplace was nice.   You could sit down and actually see the performers 

so agree - thats a HORRIBLE venue. Ive for years though the two planters in front of Eiffel Tower could be retrofitted as terraces with easting - some benches that transitioned into tables toward the back. A few classic light poles with flower baskets would bring color, or even 2-3 trees in tree wells on each side would allow for better seating for these shows. Thats are also needs a major upgrade set-wise with some risers with actual detail or color instead of a concrete "porch" would go a long way. ALSO agree that the show with live bad and great vocals worked much better at International Showplace. The bandstand show could be more like retrospect with a track, 1-2 singers and 3-4 dancers is enough. 

• Like 2

With the right kind of warm summer night the Bandstand can have a pleasant vibe. The nighttime atmosphere around the Royal Rhythms with a full band at Grand Carnivale remains one of my favorite experiences at Kings Island. Admittedly even that show was a bit uncomfortable for the early evening performances in the late-day sun.

• Like 1

The early performances at the bandstand are rough on the performers and especially the dancers. They are in the direct, blazing heat with no sun.    Just as bad, the dancers are forced to dance on hard concrete instead of a proper stage with some shock absorption built in. 

At Kings Dominion their bandstand is pretty well shaded and it is built higher up so you can actually see the performers when there’s a crowd.  But that park has allowed to sit down venues to sit empty the last several years while forcing the performers to perform outdoors in the very hot Virginia heat, and forcing the audience to stand up.   At least Kings Island is using their theaters.

• Like 1