should pki be open all year?

vortexdemon05

i can't say what's going on...but i will say this, PKI cannot run certain rides (coasters) under 54 degrees. plus, winter maintence would never be possible considering it is a law requirement.

i think that is bs about the 54 degrees. Steel coasters operate down to about 32-34 degrees, and i am sure wood can go down to about 35-40.

I was at Cedar Point's Halloweekends a few years ago when it was in the upper 30's (with a below freezing windchill one of the workers told us) and everything was operating. I believe it was the year MF opened, and even that was open. That was an awesome night since it was not very crowded, but it was super cold. So yeah, coasters can operate in those cold temps, but the crowds of course will drop as fast as the temperature as well, so it wouldn't be good business sense.

From a maintenance standpoint, it is VERY UNSAFE to operate rides when it approaches freezing. When the temperature reaches 32*, no outdoor rides should be operating.

That is what we are saying, the guy above us said 54 degrees was to cold,lol.

If PKI had a fair amount of indoor attractions, then it might be plausible. But the way I see it, it's farfetched and risky. Bringing back Winterfest might be the best thing for them, and is probably the only thing we'll ever see in lieu of some kind of post-November operation.

~S~

Considering the scarcity of indoor rides at PKI and the harsh weather that the park experiences in the cold months, I am obliged to say "no".

However, should PKI convert many of its outdoor rides into indoor ones and build new rides as indoor - it would be financially more feasible.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Steel coasters operate down to about 32-34 degrees, and i am sure wood can go down to about 35-40.

Wrong... You'll never see a steel coaster at PKI run at 32 degrees. Wood coasters have a higher tolerance for cold weather but I'm not sure on what their temp range is.

just back from Reds game, so sorry for late post. Re: Winterfest..... it IS coming back this year. confirmed by a PKI administrative employee who has been working on the Winterfest maps. Said it is the worst kept secret they've ever had. Also check the back of the new season passes... it even mentions Winterfest.

I'll have to agree with the concensus and say "no"...

Staffing would also be a major issue. Keep in mind how many staff members are students, and wouldn't be available all year.

Having ridden the coaster at New York, New York in Vegas in the dead of Winter (January), let me just say that it can be a miserable experience. It was in the high 30s and on the coaster it felt like it was -10! I'd be hard pressed to relive that experience.

If PKI brings back Winterfest, that will only leave five months or so (total) that the park is closed each year. That's a pretty good season for an Ohio park. Plus, I think the anticipation of waiting for opening day during the off season really adds to the excitement.

Joel

pki Winterfest isn't an "if" question. Paramount Parks have already began ordering Marketing material for it's promotion. Little known is that a impulse corp decision almost made it happen in 2004, but realized that with that little planning, the staffing would not have come together.

Who in their right mind would want to ride a coaster during winter in Ohio? Not me. Way to freaking cold. Ill go to FLA if I need a coaster fix during the long Ohio Winters. PKI would loose so much money being open year round. Unless we build a dome over the entire park and keep it at a comfortable 75 degrees. cowboy.gif

Oooooh, PKI in the winter?? BAD IDEA!! I've been to Cedar Point when it's only been in the 40s before and it was so stinkin' miserable!!! Trudging through the snow just to ride a roller coaster (which is, of course, not a safe thing in the snow or ice) . . . yuck. Standing in line in the bitter wind and cold?? Horrible!! Besides, roller coasters are one of the reasons I look forward to summer. . . it would lose its appeal if you could do it all year.

Winterfest might be fun. I doubt there would be much open. But it would be a fun little holiday trip.

What might be a cool idea is if year-round they stocked International Street's shops and restaurants and just opened that portion of the park up for a very small fee. They're getting a Starbucks there and how cool would it be to tell your friends "let's go to Kings Island and get a cup of coffee??" It could be a pretty cool hang-out if they stocked the stores with some trendy things and made some of the cafes and restaurants indoor-only. True, it's not the ultimate PKI experience, but you can't beat the scenery!

most on here may be too young to remember the last time PKI (then KI) had Winterfest. It was the perfect date place. heavy on shows (Festhaus, Chevrolet Theater-- anyone remember the "Grumpy Old Man?"- and being in awe of the 275 foot tall Christmas Tree.... does anyone remember, I don't think the Antique Cars were open for WF. Most indoor attractions were (wonder if FOF will be open). They had horse carriage rides through Coney Mall, "Dickens" Carolers on International Street.... ICe Skating on the fountain.... I, for one, cannot wait. I just hope those who belly-ached when it ended come out and support it enough to keep it going. I don't think it was a lack of attendance or interest that caused Paramount to close it down- I think they felt it was a hassle. Someone may correct me on that.