Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Yep, it's the return of everyone's favorite topic: decoding! What's going on in Rivertown? What are we getting for 2017? Speculate away! This has been created as a new thread in the Kings Island section to replace the "Project 2017?" thread under Rumors, since it appears to no longer be a rumor or question.

Before we get started, a few ground rules, from lessons learned in the original Decoding thread (for what turned out to be Banshee):

• No trespassing. Yes, there was an incident three years ago when the Decoding thread was temporarily shut down due to a (now-banned) user who trespassed in the construction area. Suffice it to say that Don was mad. Don't do it again.
  • Along those same lines, no posting of any illegally obtained photos/videos, whether yours or someone else's. This means not just anything obtained by violating the law, but park rules as well.
  • Be nice. This should already be covered by the TOS, but the last Decoding thread featured a number of arguments (mainly between two specific coaster manufacturers) that occasionally got out of hand. Let's try to avoid that on this go-around.
  • Speaking of the TOS (Terms of Service), those can be found at http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/4128-terms-of-service/ (the persistent link at the top or bottom of the forums, depending on which skin you use, doesn't work).
  • Above all, use common sense. If something doesn't feel right, perhaps you're better off not posting it.

If you're new to KICentral, welcome! I expect that this thread will see a steady flow of new users posting in it throughout the season, just as the original Decoding thread (which was the speculation thread for what turned out to be Banshee) did. Before you start posting, a few tips:

• I recommend that you read the Terms of Service (linked above) in their entirety before posting. It's a fairly quick read, and it's always a good idea to be familiar with the rules of an unfamiliar website before using it.
  • If you really, really want to post now and don't want to take the time to read the TOS, the two most important rules from the TOS in relation to this thread are these: first, if you post a photo that you did not take yourself, you are required to state the source and include a link to that source if at all possible, and second, you cannot post "confirmed information" that the park has not publicly announced without including the full name of the source. This latter point means that if you're claiming that an employee gave you inside information, and you want to post it, you MUST include the employee's name. On that note...
  • "Those who speak do not know. Those who know do not speak." In other words, those who really know what's going on (which does NOT include seasonal employees) aren't going to be leaking information (more than likely, their lips are sealed by a non-disclosure agreement), and those who claim to have information are almost certainly making it up.
  • Be aware that this community has a history of being largely self-moderating, so if you violate the TOS, your mistake is just as likely to be pointed out to you by a regular user as an admin/moderator. Understand that they're usually just trying to help you learn the ropes and that they don't have a vendetta against you; just say thanks and learn from the mistake so you don't do it again. Plenty of users have started here on a bumpy road and gone on to become active, respected users. Also, one mistake, or even a few mistakes, are highly unlikely to lead to a ban. User bans are fairly rare here.
  • Lastly, know that Kings Island park officials do read these forums, including PR director Don Helbig. Don occasionally posts on KIC as "DonKIPR", though I wouldn't expect him to post in this thread. Regardless, don't be surprised if a social media post by the park indirectly references the discussion here. Notably, at one point in the original Decoding thread, somebody commented that Don could tweet something about apples and we'd take it as a clue of some kind, and about an hour later, he did exactly that!

Some links regarding the last round of decoding:

And now, let's get the speculation started with this photo, taken by chugh43, of the sign on the fence around the old Rivertown funnel cake stand:

29fd6cc6a5e271936beafb4dfbf3d411.jpg

• Like 32

Hmm...the falling trees thing has me thinking along the same lines as Jcgoble in the other thread. I'm gonna have to guess this is either a wooden coaster of some sort or a new log flume/water ride.

Other possible options I would not rule out include a new set of Antique Cars in the woods but I don't know how that fits the sign...or perhaps that's the point of the sign...or a new dark ride. I don't think the location would work well for a Giga Coaster (not enough room and right next to Diamondback- there are other, far better spots for such a huge coaster at Kings Island IMO) so I don't think that is what it could be. A Blitz-style coaster from Mack rides could also fit there though.

If this thread goes even close to what the 2014 one did, it's gonna get crazy here. Only this time I will hopefully have a chance to see whatever construction is going on in person (I did not visit Kings Island in 2013)...from the Eiffel Tower or Diamondback's 230 foot lift hill. Or maybe the walkway. (Not gonna be a fool and trespass and make KIC look bad)

• Like 12

Well, first, you can tell Goble is a big Star Wars fan.

Called it in the discussion thread a little earlier. Over 100 pages of folks speculating, guessing, knowing (from their inside source), Bickering, bunch a new people. Some people getting banned. 

Sure is gonna be fun!

• Like 9

I'm thinking an RMC hybrid because of the falling trees signage- it could try to be billed as a "wooden" coaster ;) It could also be very possible that it is an actual wooden coaster.

Other possibilities could include a Wild Mouse or S&S Free Fly (because I watched that Coaster Studios video and for some reason, when I saw the teaser, I immediately thought RMC or Free Fly)

And thanks Goble for starting this thread; happy speculatin'! :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also thought of Camp Snoopy when I saw the picture of the signs because of the proximity to Planet Snoopy.

• Like 5

Cedar Fair won't go with RMC.

1.They don't have the perfect safety record that GCI has.

2.They haven't dealt with them.

3.They are very expensive.

I'm pumped. I believe this to be a coaster given how early this is. I really really want a new wood coaster. If it is a wooden coaster it will be unmistakable. There won't be large footers They'll be many, many little pilings in rows forming a line.

• Like 12

^
I was actually about to say just that...I agree with KI Guy there- if this is a wooden ANYTHING (RMC, GCI, GG, CCI back from the dead somehow, etc.) there will be lots and lots of footers.

The lack of a bajillion footers is what told me Banshee was NOT a wooden coaster back in 2013 (I was hopeful for a Intamin Plug N' Play then but the odds of that have gone kaput since). Though right now I don't see any footers whatsoever via the webcams...

BTW I am also firmly on Team Wood Coaster (the option I WANT most). It'll probably be a GCI too since this is Cedar Fair and they are the go-to for them when it comes to wooden coasters if that is the case.

Come on, lots and lots of footers... :P

• Like 11

^

I was actually about to say just that...I agree with KI Guy there- if this is a wooden ANYTHING (RMC, GCI, GG, CCI back from the dead somehow, etc.) there will be lots and lots of footers.

The lack of a bajillion footers is what told me Banshee was NOT a wooden coaster back in 2013 (I was hopeful for a Intamin Plug N' Play then but the odds of that have gone kaput since). Though right now I don't see any footers whatsoever via the webcams...

BTW I am also firmly on Team Wood Coaster (the option I WANT most). It'll probably be a GCI too since this is Cedar Fair and they are the go-to for them when it comes to wooden coasters if that is the case.

Come on, lots and lots of footers... :P

I hope for a longer Gold Striker 

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken or something has been changed, I believe guests are allowed to take photos on the train. 

If someone needs to correct me, now would be a good time for future reference. 

Also, if that is the case, I imagine Don is now furiously finding wood for a 2nd fence between the train and ground zero. 

• Like 9

I've never been to KI so forgive me. Where is this fence? Is it blocking a large enough area for it to be some sort of coaster? I'm leaning towards a dark ride with VR technology since Cedar Fair has said that they are looking at combining VR and a dark ride.

• Like 2

I've never been to KI so forgive me. Where is this fence? Is it blocking a large enough area for it to be some sort of coaster? I'm leaning towards a dark ride with VR technology since Cedar Fair has said that they are looking at combining VR and a dark ride.

It is near the train tracks where the WWC entrance used to be. In between the train and Race For Your Life.

• Like 2