OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

I, for one, have never had a "painful" ride on Son of Beast, only uncomfortable rides where riding defensively was a must. I can not say the same for Mean Streak, or my back seat ride five years ago on the Georgia Cyclone, ouch.

This all being said, in many of my decision sciences classes and other Operations Management classes at UD, one of the things you are told to not factor in when making decisions of whether to upgrade, repair, or even replace technology or processes is sunk costs. Sunk costs are gone, are in the past, and you can't get them back. Past performance is not an indicator of future results. You can use past data to make some predictions of the future, but you should use the predictions for the future and NOT just sunk costs. You are taught to look forward in your decisions (and include some history of the past). This is known as the "sunk cost fallacy".

Essentially you do not want to throw the baby out with the bath water. If you have information that says you can upgrade technology or processes at a reasonable price, that will have a positive outcome to your satisfaction, then you act on that information, regardless of past sunk costs.

I really wish the news stations would stop saying it was the loops fault for it to be closed ughhhhh that is really annoying and wish someone would tell them its not the problem!!!!

well because of the loop they had to use heavier trains. Because of the heavier trains it caused more stress on the track, in certain areas. Because of the more stress the wood cracked in a certain area. It was later found that the wood cracked sooner because it was inferior. So I guess if there was no loop the trains would have been lighter. If the trains were lighter the wood not have cracked at the time it did. If the wood did not crack then there would have been no accident....

No, it would not be wrong. Cedar Fair quite correctly said they found trains that were lighter, since the trains were no longer required to negotiate the loop. Lighter trains, they hoped, would reduce stress on the structure and improve rider comfort...

No editing of any kind is necessary...I just have to be very careful what I say, as I often have to be...for various reasons in this particular...uh...case.

• 5 weeks later...

I was standing in front of Delirium Saturday afternoon looking at Son of Beast and had a thought... This year for Halloween Haunt, let's have the world's largest bonfire! I love SOB but if it's not gonna run, let's get rid of it and get something new. It was hysterical how many people I saw on Saturday trying to look at thier maps and figure out what ride it was and why they couldn't find it.

I was standing in front of Delirium Saturday afternoon looking at Son of Beast and had a thought... This year for Halloween Haunt, let's have the world's largest bonfire!  I love SOB but if it's not gonna run, let's get rid of it and get something new.  It was hysterical how many people I saw on Saturday trying to look at thier maps and figure out what ride it was and why they couldn't find it.

Let's burn highly toxic treated wood. Brilliant!

I can't stress enough how sick I am of people saying "BURN IT! BONFIRE! LOLOLOLZ." It's honestly as annoying, unclever and unhelpful as those who say "Put the loop back! It was better before the loop was taken out!"

You are not the first and will not be the last to jokingly suggest that they burn it down. It isn't funny anymore now, and won't be funny next time. And if you were honestly suggesting that they burn it and not just joking, your answer is right above.

I swear I'm not mean and awful, I just am so sick of people going "worlds largest bonfire bahahah."

I noticed in my ACE newsletter that the texas giant is becoming a hybrid. Also, they are going to re design it to have the steepest drop. Why don't they make SOB a hybrid, and then bring back the loop. Wouldn't it still break some records then?

That would just make the track even heavier and dangerous. The first accident was when a ride support snapped because the trains were to heavy. Hybrid tracks for Son of Beast will not do much good.

With his father crippled and humiliated from years of lost battles and wars, the third generation arises as the phoenix arises from the ashes to stake claim (insert extremely brief coaster roaring by clip) as the fastest (similar clip) tallest (3rd similar clip) and only double looping wooden roller coaster in the world (fade to black)....GRANDSon of Beast!!!

I noticed in my ACE newsletter that the texas giant is becoming a hybrid. Also, they are going to re design it to have the steepest drop. Why don't they make SOB a hybrid, and then bring back the loop. Wouldn't it still break some records then?

That would just make the track even heavier and dangerous. The first accident was when a ride support snapped because the trains were to heavy. Hybrid tracks for Son of Beast will not do much good.

and around 8 layers of wood is lighter than a hollow box made of steel? i think they would be similar in weight.

With his father crippled and humiliated from years of lost battles and wars, the third generation arises as the phoenix arises from the ashes to stake claim (insert extremely brief coaster roaring by clip) as the fastest (similar clip) tallest (3rd similar clip) and only double looping wooden roller coaster in the world (fade to black)....GRANDSon of Beast!!!

Actually, something like that could happen... What if KI were to receive the first launched wooden coaster?

I know GrandSon of Beast would not be a suitable name, but maybe someone could play the words, to sound better and mean the same thing... Beast Baby, Anyone?biggrin.gif

SoB's main issue is the track gauging causing the shuffling back and forth.

If the park would replace the supports like TG, and the track gauging, it literally would be a whole new ride.

On a side note, I miss this thread.... wink.gif

and around 8 layers of wood is lighter than a hollow box made of steel? i think they would be similar in weight.

It would still not be the safest I would think. If the ride had a steel track it would just put more stress onto the structure which is a major problem. Vibrations travel faster through steel then wood and that would transfer to the structure causing even more damage.

Weight of the new track is said to be about the same as the former 9-ply wooden track complete with steel track and track bolts.

I got this off of coaster force. It sais the weight of the new track is said to be about the same as the former track. I'm sure it weighs more then your probably thinking.

^^ But firms like GG would have to want to work on SoB. Given SoB's history, that is going to be difficult. GG and others have reputations, another failed SoB modification would only ruin it.

And convincing them to do it is only one hurdle. The other is cost. CF could throw, say, $10,000,000 at an engineering firm to fix SoB. Is SoB worth that price tag?

^i don't think a "failed attempt" would ruin gg's reputation, intiman has built two strata coasters, both with their own problems (although slowly having the kinks smoothed out), and many prototypes with their own problems as well, and they are still going strong.

Son of Beast is just a prototype, and it just needs tlc to make it run as good as some people want it to be. (i'm personally fine with it as you all most likely are aware. ;) )

I don't think there is much risk for GG's reputation. This is a troubled coaster if after the work it is still a troubled ride most would still blame the original design. On the flip side, if GG could tame SOB either by track work, Timberliners or both, they would gain quite a bit by being the company to fix one of the worlds worst coasters.

I would love to see what a set of Timberliners would do on SOB. I think that the steering trains would make a huge difference.

^which is what he said,

"i think they would be similar in weight."

Just because they are similar in weight it doesn't mean it would work. Like i said before...

If the ride had a steel track it would just put more stress onto the structure which is a major problem. Vibrations travel faster through steel then wood and that would transfer to the structure causing even more damage.

^^^I suppose I should explain myself better.

Yes, Intamin has had problems with both TTD and KK, and those problems have been worked out, years ago as can be seen with TTD's ridership numbers. SoB's problems have been ongoing since 2000, and other firms have come in and tried their best without positive results.

For another firm, like GG, to come in and make additional changes, and, take on the responsibility of SoB's safety is more than some firms wish to take on.

If, heaven forbid, SoB had another accident after another "fix" was done; what do you think would happen in the media? They would go nuts. In every article would be the name of the engineering firm that recently "fixed" SoB. That engineering name would then be tainted not only for future projects, but for past ones as well. As enthusiasts, we understand the situation; but for the general public, they would overreact due to the media propoganda that is associated with situations like this.