Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Kings Island Central Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 06/08/2015 in all areas

  1. So, this is a thing, apparently...
  2. I'd love to see them stop a lift for a loose article. I would even go to hand the ride op a $20 bill for doing it. Safety is of utmost importance, always. Just because you tell someone to do something doesn't mean they're going to do it and listen. Now it becomes a potential safety issue. I don't like the word potential when it comes to safety. I'd rather have assurance instead knowing that person's phone is off the ride considering they don't care if they have their phone out on the ride. Also, Racer has cameras on the lift hill:
  3. I'd be heartbroken if they got rid of Iron Dragon. Maybe it's not new and shiny and unique but it IS still fun and it has a beautiful location over the water. Plus it's a good coaster for families with kids who can't go on some of the bigger rides yet. The more coasters at CP, the better. Keeps lines just a bit shorter. It's also not like Mean Streak where you can walk on and ride with a mostly empty train, it still has a pretty good amount of people who enjoy it. It's had about a 20-30 minute line each time I've been there. (Though, admittedly, I've only been once (2013) since I moved to Texas.) Dive Coasters are fun. I find them WAY more fun than something like Invertigo, and almost as much fun as Diamondback. The way you can sit on the side of the train with no track beneath you is really cool. Every person likes something different. A lot of people think Dive Coasters are boring. But plenty of people love them so it would be a good investment. They still could do something completely different though. It would be neat to see something completely unique that hasn't been done before. I'm excited to find out what they have planned.
  4. Exactly. While its record is the least important thing right now, it's a silly notion. If the ride remains SBNO or closes for good, then of course it will lose its record. If it re-opens with 14 inversions, then it has the world record for now. Period. Guinness is probably just looking for website hits. By the way, I do sincerely believe that this record is in their books as "most loops"
  5. TTD is a hydraulic system as well. Hydraulic fluid is more viscous when cold. As the fluid increases in temp it becomes less viscous allowing higher pressure so the optimal temperature needs to be reach before the motor can be fully loaded.
  6. Hey guys, I just made a Banshee clock!! Made it out of an old clock found at the thrift store. More pictures coming soon!! Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  7. 6 points
    I think it's referring to the price for a non-drinking ticket to the event, not a ticket including a designated driver to get you home Suddenly I am more interested in this event!
  8. We did learn yesterday that it is a bad idea to get mouthy when another rider chastises one for having one's camera out during the whole ride. The ride op may not have taken the calling out seriously (seriously?! Is it going to take a phone to someone's face before policy becomes actually calling security when these complaints are made?) but if an ensuing verbal argument between guests on the exit ramp lasts long enough apparently they /will/ eventually call security (and arguing that you are too special for the rules long enough gives time for security to show up). If the guy had just said sorry or acted in any way abashed when he was reprimanded rather than getting an attitude, I doubt he would have been escorted out of the park, which I believe to have been the ultimate outcome. Which should always be the outcome, at the very least, in my opinion. Since it is against state law as well as park policy, as far as I know, I don't think an arrest would be too harsh. I really want the park to begin to make their policy abundantly clear, before someone gets hurt (anyone else gets hurt?) getting hit by a phone. And to take it /very/ seriously when someone is so brazen that it angers another rider to the point of complaining, or when the employees themselves see it on the cameras. Even the brim of a ballcap hurts enough when you get hit at the speeds of Diamondback, for example. Getting hit in the face by one of these jerkwads' phones could cause someone to lose an eye. I don't want that to happen, or for the park to lose money in a settlement or lawsuit when an accident happens and their employees' history of blowing off complaints comes to light.
  9. 6 points
    Somebody (assuming independent) says you are one of the 10 parks to visit this summer, then I say "run with it" and squeeze every once of promotional possibilities out of it. No matter how the list was ordered, I probably wouldn't have posters that said #6, I'd have my posters say "one of the top 10 amusement parks for 2015". Sure its a bit misleading, but so is the original article.
  10. I've had enough people ask me if I've seen this article that it inspired my latest blog post. Also, in reference to the fact no Six Flags parks were included - Six Flags is a quickly recognizable brand. I think most of the GP does not connect Cedar Fair with it's parks as the parks themselves do not carry the brand's name. That's what caused them to be included. But other than that, I felt this was basically a list of "popular amusement parks that aren't owned by Disney, Universal or Six Flags." Anyway, if you're interested in reading my rebuttal and my personal top 10 underrated parks (based on my experiences, this is not intended to be a comprehensive list) please go check it out: http://chasingthrills.com/10-truly-underrated-amusement-parks/
  11. From my understanding, there are two reasons: One, it makes the front heavier than the back so that in a case where the train barely reaches the top, the center of gravity will be further forward, making it more likely to fall forward as less of the train needs to be past the peak. Two, I believe they need to warm up the launch system gradually by slowly increasing the weight of the train. As I understand it, going directly from test trains with a single employee to full trains with 18 people could break the system. If I'm wrong here, I invite corrections from those who know otherwise.
  12. Ooh, it's functional too Hope it keeps better time than the floral clock currently is at KI!
  13. Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I wish they'd do a year long ban/negate season pass/etc. for outright ignoring the multiple loose article warnings. I guess they can't ban EVERYONE because they'd lose a lot of customers. But I feel like if they tried it and it happened a few times and it was highly publicized people would finally start taking the rules seriously. These people may not care that they can seriously injure another person, but they'll care if they lose money. Or find some other way to get them to take the rules seriously. Verbal warnings aren't cutting it. I miss the days before smartphones.
  14. Dive Machines are AWE-FULL. AS IN, FULL OF AWE. Honestly, they're unbelievable. Griffon's launch spiel says "Enjoy the power and speed of the mythical griffin." And it seriously is SO powerful. The raw speed draws tears from your eyes. The trains are enormous. 10 across, so wider than a Wing Coaster. They're just incredibly graceful - huge massive sweeping turns and giant inversions that roll you through the sky. Their size can't be captured in photos because the track is twice as wide as a traditional coaster track. Maybe compare it to our Crypt where you can feel the size. It's just larger than life. Absolutely outstanding. VERY different from a Wing Coaster. VERY different from Top Thrill. VERY different from a hyper coaster.
  15. And if you rebuilt a Ford using only genuine GM parts: * It'd cost more than starting from scratch. * It'd always be seen as a Ford by some. * GM might object to using the Ford as a base.
  16. Pppssshhhh that's obviously still a ride. They even sell $5.00 hats for the ride in the Coney Confections store.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Not the only reason. It also has to do with weight and bearing temperatures on cold days.
  18. I'd say that Buzzfeed is a truckload of bullcrap, but that would be an insult to the truckload of bullcrap.
  19. Buzzfeed is a pathetic excuse for a media outlet/news source. Their articles tend to be either filled with errors, misinformation, or both - with an apparent lack of research done for their articles (unfortunately that seems to be more and more widespread throughout all news media nowadays). This article was no exception. Apparently I still haven't ridden all of King's Island's 23 roller coasters! Who knew! And Cedar Point underrated? Give me a break. Nice to see the parks mentioned though I guess.
  20. I think if you look at it through the lens of a non-coaster enthusiast, or a non-amusement park junkie, most would never know where any of those parks are. so to say the parks are underrated, they may very well be to the GP.... As for Six Flags, it could be in the branding. Their are national commercials for Six Flags (or there were). So to the GP in a Six Flags area, they see a national ad and think "wow they are talking about my park, its a national destination." Now compare that to the Cedar Fair chains, each commercial is park specific. So it feels more regional even in an advertising sense.... True story, no lie. My family is a huge amusement park family. My mom has been going to KI since it opened and Coney before it. She got us KI passes when we were younger, etc. She never knew Holiday World existed in Indiana or that it offered such a great experience. When I talk about getting a Platinum Pass for my wife, son, and I, my extended family (and wife) always mention going to CP, Kings Dominion, and KI. They never knew about Carowinds or other parks in the chain. Sometimes, I think since we have our fingers on the pulse of the amusement park community we forget how regional parks truly are...
  21. Saturday, a guy was on Top Thrill with his hands up and a camera in one of them. They kept telling him to put it away and it led to a long delay. The other people on the train were very annoyed (as they should be) but that could've caused some serious injury.
  22. Just like roller coasters, move up from the smaller slides to the bigger slides as they see fit. Last year my daughter (who was 4 at the time) went from riding the little kiddie slides by the wave pool to the larger slides with that big water area where they spray you, to the family tube ride, and finally up to Rendezvous Run which was quite an accomplishment. Couple other tips: - Make sure the child is comfy in the tubes, they can feel uncomfortable to younger ones some times and feel like they are sinking in - Sunscreen - Do the wave pool, but remember that Kings Island requires children under 48" to wear life jackets and it is enforced - Sunscreen - Do the lazy river, it is probably the best lazy river I have ever been on - Sunscreen
  23. Wow that goes to great lengths for customer service right there. Incredible, incredible stuff. I posted elsewhere a few places about Thunderbird, I guess I didn't here. I will say go ride it, it's incredible. The theming is pretty cool, it's not Disney or anything, but it's neat. I found more impressive theming walking the Queue with the flickering lights & barn atmosphere than I did on the ride IMO. The launch is great, almost Intamin strength. Smooth and fast for sure, not jolting hard, but very close. The forces on that ride are phenominal. The vest on the OTSR needs to be there, this is perhaps the most forceful coaster B&M has made since the 90's and early 2000's. The efficiency of the ride is great too. Right when the train stops in the ready brake, the train in station is dispatched. Perfect interval, everytime. Then the efficiency of the ride itself. Magnetic braking, only three friction brakes on the whole ride, all of them practically never used. Just perfect piece of engineering and efficiency to the last drop. Only flaw I see isn't in anything of the ride. I noticed while I was there three semi generators in the giant area of land cleared next to the station with possibly hundreds of electrical conduits running from the trailers to green transformer next to the ride station. Maybe an issue with the new substation Holiday World built for the park or the Will Power flywheel building not working? Interesting for sure to say the least. Now I'm curious what all that land cleared out is going to be for.
  24. This is the same Guinness that gave Goliath at SFGAm wooden coaster records after all.
  25. So they going to give the record to a coaster with less inversions or one with more that doesn't exist? I can't believe anyone pays attention to Guinness World Records, most of the records I seen in one of their books were so absurd or specific it was well absurd.
  26. I think most of them are. But I also think "news and news sources" is 80% bullcrap and propaganda. Bout the only news I watch is The Weather Channel. Just my opinion.
  27. Umm..... there are quite a lot of Intamin Gyro Drops, and many more Drop Towers that don't launch you.
  28. 4 points
    I am a member of GOCC. Joined because I know several people in GOCC, the price is right ($25 for an annual couples membership), and I have heard good things about them. Haven't gotten to meet anyone new in GOCC yet and likely won't til next year as we won't be attending any more coaster events this season (unless at Kings Island) as we have more important things to spend money on now. Baby Crawford coming 2016!
  29. Here's my challenge. I know how to prepare the niece and nephew for rides and coasters. However, I'm at a loss as to how to prepare them as they get taller for the slides in Soak City. I never went to a water park until late high school/college so my personal experience is of no use. How did you (or would you) help kids conquer the other experiences beyond Splash Landing and Coconut Grove? If it helps, I'll be able to take them for one-on-on time while they hang out with their mom and big brother in the other two tried and true spots. Thanks in advance for any and all tips and tricks!
  30. Really, he did that. Those of us watching kept telling him that's why the train wasn't going and he kept blowing us off. Not very bright!
  31. Some pictures from today. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  32. My kids broke me into slides. None of us had ever been. They just kept going bigger until all were done.
  33. That wood on the track lets Six Flags claim it's a wood coaster. I posit that's why it's there.
  34. 3 points
    That's really cool, seeing KIC'ers helping each other out. Why can't more people be like this in the world? Sorry, I just had to derail this thread for a moment.
  35. This list was collected by a request on their Facebook to comment with your favorite amusement parks. Hence why each entry ends with a comment from a user submission. No facts needed.
  36. I wonder how long it will be before amusement park rides are built around the parameter that people will refuse to put their cell phones away (much like car manufacturers are; see: Lane keeping assist systems, auto braking, as well as self-driving cars in a few years).
  37. 3 points
    I still think a Dark Ride upgrade at KI is in the works soon. That would go hand in hand with a Rivertown upgrade, it's been quite some time. I do think Soak City could use a new slide complex or anything new honestly. A new pool was a somewhat lame addition, but needed for sure. But spread the riders out a bit. Zoom Flume shouldn't be as long of a wait considering.
  38. ^I agree with those points, but they could also make a flying coaster go out over the midway or something, give it some midway interactive elements to it as well (see Manta). Also, some parks have built interesting things into small places. See Hersheypark and Knott's.
  39. 3 points
    Hmmm...its like all the parks on that list have new attractions or something....
  40. 3 points
    ^ I love the picture of Greezed Lightnin' almost as much as I love the fact that Kings Island has a Flight Deck section in their parking lot...
  41. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  42. Lol @ "instead of shooting you up." You would think the word Drop in the name would tip you off.
  43. Finally home. Crazy weekend. I305 is phenomenal and Coasting for Kids was fun. This is my journey from 8am 6/6 to 3:30 am 6/8. I met a friend in Louisville to hit Kentucky Kingdom before heading to Kings Dominion.
  44. Tuesday this week may be a little busier than an average Tuesday, because of Monday's weather. Since it is supposed to rain and storm all day today, many people may postpone their trip until tomorrow. Plus Tuesday is Cirque Imagine's day off, so if you go Tuesday you can't watch it (always a factor in my weekly planning)
  45. I would have to think said GP saw the poll, didn't know what "underrated" even meant and just saw "Amusement Park" and went "HURP-DURP CEDAH POINT FTW!!!" and voted. That could actually explain a lot of these actually. To be fair though, I do think a few of these DO belong on an underrated list- just not the big Cedar Fair parks (I could understand the lesser-known ones like Worlds of Fun or Michigan's Adventure though as those could technically be considered underrated) parks, or Busch Gardens...also, not ONE Six Flags park? I just noticed that...either people think the entire Six Flags chain sucks or its universally considered awesome and can't be underrated now, according to this. (IMO a few Six Flags' parks could be considered hidden gems and thus underrated)
  46. How in the world does Cedar Point, the park most of the GP worships and adores, make the list, let alone some of CF's top performing parks?
  47. 3 points
    Am I the only one who thinks they are missing out on a huge market. Halloween? Plus they are barely open four months of the year. KI opens in April through October, cash flow!
  48. 3 points
    Lightning Run was insanely fun! Wow. We are halfway to Kings Dominion now.
  49. Just wanted to share... Took the day off yesterday and took my kiddo to KI and she finally just barely hit the 54 inch mark! After putting on the coveted orange bracelet and lots of high fives and victory dancing all around, we practically ran all the way to Diamondback. Once we got there though she just about had herself talked into being scared of it and kept trying to talk me in leaving the line because she was too hungry to ride / she had to pee / her stomach was hurting and she might have to go home / etc. but we finally made it on and by the time we hit the bottom of the first hill she was holding her arms in the air like a pro screaming about how awesome it was. I had been holding off riding the 54 inch coasters (except Diamondback) for the past two summers waiting for her to be tall enough, so we had a really fun day only riding rides we had never ridden before She liked Diamondback, Invertigo, and FoF but she thought Firehawk was not very exciting. I remembered hating FoF the last time I rode it in like the late 90's but I really like it now... the different harnesses made a world of difference! All in all good day!
This leaderboard is set to New York/GMT-04:00
Background Picker

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.