Sea World, Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios, Island's of Adventure, Hollywood Studios, Epcot, & Magic Kingdom (again).
The Schrute’s did a new Christmas “tradition” this year, and after it is all said and done, I think I am going to stop what I’m doing professionally and work with the vacation industry. I’ll try to keep this as short as possible.
In December I closed a couple of large sales and needed to “splurge” in the 2012 Calendar year, since a significant tax increase was coming to income made after 1/1/13- so I made due dates 12/31/12 and am writing off as much as allowable.
Our journey began shortly before Christmas Eve where all in the Schrute clan contracted that stupid flu virus and passed it through the family. I was the only hold out (and still am), though thought I’d get it at any moment. Christmas morning began at 7am where we opened santa’s gifts as well as ours and set off to Columbus for a 1pm flight to Orlando. Made in great time and arrived on time via Delta. Rented our mid-size vehicle through Advantage Rent-a-Car for 13 days out of Orlando for $471. Getting the rental out of the location was time consuming, but all the other agencies were at $1350. I’m not sure how we snagged that price, but will take it.
Started out in the Snow-Bird community before heading to Clearwater Beach for a few days. Stayed at the Hilton Clearwater- on the beach! Great location, though it was cold the first day.
Moved on to a vacation home rental in Orlando, 7-bedroom with private pool and home theater with 12 of those recliner seats in the garage. Great location in Kissimmee with great access to everything!
We eventually went back to the Snowbird Community for a few days prior to venturing back to Orlando to stay on-property at Saratoga Springs. Then headed home on the 9th (and brought some of the warm weather back).
Park Trip Report: We hit just about every park we could in the time we had. I think I am going to retire from my business and work consulting in the industry J.
Park #1- Sea World (prior to new years). Great “forgotten” park. Very well dressed up for Christmas; I was VERY surprised to see how “Christ-centered” the whole event was. It was very unapologetic in not giving the typical “Happy Holiday’s” greeting. Though, knowing that they held an international audience with different backgrounds, it was done very tastefully. Highlights: All of the animal shows were excellent; though they were all mostly Choreographed. I seem to recall a long time ago there was more of an educational element to it, but this time around it was mostly a “show.” Developed a terrible headache early and had to rest in the first aid area before taking in the rest of the day. The “Greatest Story Never Told” was a nativity story that was on par with some of the best I’ve ever seen. The fireworks show was what you’d expect from an Orlando attraction. Got to ride both roller coasters- Manta & Kraken (too cold for Venture to Atlantis). Kraken, I’m thinking is my new favorite roller coaster. Manta could be a close #2. It is somewhat a similar experience to Firehawk, but at the same time completely different. There’s themed vegetation growing around it instead of grass and cement – which I think adds to the experience. Rode Kraken three times after dark.
Park #2- Universal/Islands of Adventure. Park at near-sell out, though it rained in the morning and seemed the lines would be in-check for most of the day. Spiderman was THE favorite; rode twice. Simpson’s Ride wasn’t as fun as I was expecting. I liked the movie it played to, but the ride experience was pretty jerky. Revenge of the Mummy was a pretty cool indoor/all-dark experience. Near the same ride as the one in California as I recall. Really wanted to but didn’t get to ride the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Dudley Do-Rights waterfall is one of the best themed water rides. Only rode once but could have a few times. Incredible Hulk…. I recall riding up the lift hill years ago thinking “I thought the train always comes shooting out of….” Then we took off! Duelling Dragons, nka Dragon Challenge used to be one of my favorites but I guess because some idiots decided it was fun to throw things at the opposing train, they don’t duel anymore. The whole “Third Day Free” is an interesting marketing program, basically they want to make sure that you’re their audience for your trip… don’t want you visiting the mouse. We saw a lot more, but I’ll save the details.
Coaster Challenge (for me): advantage Kraken.
Magic Kingdom (visit #1)- there is more to do at Magic Kingdom than could possibly be done in one day. Plus our first visit with the 3-day Hopper Pass was sold out to new entries by noon- the wait for Space Mountain was FOUR (4) HOURS at one point. Needless to say, we didn’t ride. I love how all the girls in the park are referred to as “Princess”- in a conversation with a few park employees, Jan. 3 was to be a lighter attended day and the underestimated by approx.. 11,000. People in suits were directing traffic. And though you could tell they were stressed, were still in Disney etiquette.
Ariel’s Underwater adventure- uses the clamshell ride units, with a near similar path to the one in California. Journey through Belle’s house and discover the story of how Belle and The Beast fell in love: our daughters were picked to play parts in it… MEMORIES- they are 7 and 3… and the camera’s were clicking. We got to meet Gaston and eat at his tavern… which if you’ve seen the movie the tavern is almost exact. I cannot wait until the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train opens. It was just a construction shell while there. “Small World” is a perennial favorite, as are ALL the parades and shows. Rode the Jungle Cruise, which I love the sarcastic commentary by the boat operators, but I could tell the guide in the first one was still “earning her ears”- as she seemed to be “reading” it. Watched the Castle Party show, Share the Magic show- which is stunning how they play it off Cinderella’s Castle. Then watched the Fireworks (can’t remember name). The park was open until 1am, so the Schrute’s dragged the girls around till at least 12:30… and rode Ariel’s ride again as well as Walt’s Carousel of Progress and Tomorrow Land People Mover (lame, yes- but no line).
Day #2- Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. By the way, EPCOT is no longer EPCOT Center, it’s just Epcot. Hollywood Studios was sold out early. The Christmas décor was amazing, and probably the most “done-up” of all the parks. Rode the Hollywood Tower of Terror, but with kids too small to ride and a 90-minute wait, its about the only “big” ride we rode. Walked around and saw Disney Junior- live on stage, rode Toy Story Mania, the Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour (which hasn’t changed much in the last ten years), and Muppet Vision 3D. We didn’t get to Epcot until later and mostly walked the circle. It was a near sell-out as well.
By the time we circled back to visit Magic Kingdom for #2- the park crowds were SMALL and mostly walk-on’s. if you’re ever visiting, I suggest January 8. Did Storybook Princesses to start the day and the nightly fireworks to end it. In between we saw the Hall of President’s Show (which is a favorite of mine), girls got to meet Cinderella, Ariel, Jasmine, Aladdin, Princess Aurora, Sleeping Beauty. In addition got to eat at the new “Be Our Guest” restaurant. Etc…
Recap. Through our resort package we had the “Quick Service” dining plan with “Snacks”- was perfect! It provided us with more than enough food for the trip, and then some. It will be my youngest daughter’s birthday in a few weeks, so she wore her “Birthday” button to MK and got wished a Happy Birthday all day. Which was special.
Of the three- in order of “customer service” I would say that Universal, though good, was #3. It definitely plays to a different audience, and more of a thrill seeker mode. If I were to guess I would say their target audience is 14-24, then families with teens. Sea World was #2- only because Disney is… Disney. Sea World genuinely seemed to go out of their way to assure that the guests had a great experience. We will definitely go back some day. There is just no topping Disney. From customer service to plain park experience, there’s no one better. From entering the property to being greeted by “Welcome Home” to “How can we assist you”- by name.
I like Kings Island, don’t get me wrong. I’ve had season passes for 17 years, getting ready to enjoy #18. But I took a picture of a sign along the fence of the area they’re building the new “Tangled” area quoting Walt Disney where it said- “I don’t want the public to see the world they live in while they’re in the park. I want them to feel they’re in another world.” Disney does that, and does it well. One of the problems with most parks is that they are always trying to build Roller Coaster taller, faster, more loops, steeper drops, etc… The problem with that is, thrills wear off. What seems thrilling today will seem ordinary tomorrow. Fantasy Experience doesn’t wear off. A parent can NEVER get tired of their daughters immersing themselves into “the story”- being called princess, getting autographs from their favorite characters, a park employee asking THEM for an autograph because they’re dressed up like a princess. AND, most importantly for me. I have never been compelled to get up and walk out of a Disney show turned off because of the conduct displayed in one. I did that at least four times at KI last year. Disney costs a fortune to experience- but the experience “experienced” compels you to drop more $$ in Cinderella’s coffers. Thrills wear off, but experiences last a lifetime. I hope that once CF’s not-so-new CEO begins placing his Disney-trained fingerprint on the parks that Guest “Experience” begins to take hold and starts to reflect in the footprint of the parks.