Everything posted by brenthodge
-
WinterFest 2024 Reviews
Definitely time for new shows. On the way home I realized the first time we went SMC at Dollywood was over 10 years ago, and half of the shows are the same ones. I get tradition and all, but at this point it’s crossed the line to stale. The lit tree thing I think also stems from the fact that they flip from Harvest to Christmas in like 3 days now, the open in March with a whole other festival. I think they’ve had to manage down some of the manpower and reprioritize things they do. I actually miss the KI “Winterfest Characters” that I think DW could definitely develop for all their areas. The entire event lacks some of the energy of KI.Sad that the parade that was only run a few years is sitting in storage. They only run the drone show on weekends etc. It used to be the “gold standard” to me and it’s honestly slipped to a strong silver (sharing the medal platform with KI in a way I thought they’d never do.)
-
WinterFest 2024 Reviews
Just got back from Dollywood (first time in several years at Christmas.) Compared to years past, there are a lot of shifts in decor that I’d consider cutbacks, but so much thought put into what is there, that it’s hard to ding them. I’d really love a “love child” between KI’s “more is more just keep throwing Christmas crap on it” with Dollywood’s thoughtful use of decor as storytelling (and their ability to staple cords and burry things under mulch) and we’d have a winner! KI definitely wins the “lush overstuffed decor award” now, if they’d just take the time to straighten and fluff stuff each year… Honestly I’d almost give the edge to KI for overall energy and complete Christmas vibes now, and I never thought I’d feel Dollywood had slipped.
-
Holiday World Unveils 2025 Operating Calendar with Longer Season and Returning Events
In a town called Saya Clause you’d think it a no-brainer?!
-
Winterfest 24
Way better than the drizzly wash out that Saturday was (about 4 hrs early LOL)
-
Winterfest 24
Yeah - Im not sure if its THAT beneficial to be open ALL this week. I'd love to go, but with work and last days of school with kids, I just don't know if I can make it work out. Its too bad that they can run rides after the first so they could run the event all the way to the weekend after the 1st like Dollywood does. I think they would be slammed then and make it much more worth their while. We might try for Thursday to get a night in before the weekend crowds hit.
-
Kentucky Kingdom
lol. I love that I’m a standard to now be met!
-
WinterFest 2024 Reviews
The scope of show like that is why I REALLY wish Showplace got a much needed makeover with better accessibility seating (not as steep) and a new soid surface room and partial side so it could have heaters and be used for shows during Winterfest. Shows like FOLLIES could be way better appreciated with some seating instead of the hard ground or just standing there. Then the bandstand could still be used for a "pop, top 40" Christmas hits type show with 2 vocalists and 3-4 dancers, no costume changes and track music. Maybe only 15-20 min with 2-3 set lists through the night. This area just doesn't seem to do justice to what they are putting on-stage this year.
-
Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion
Yes. Quite good.
-
Winterfest 24
Yep-it was chilly but fun. Raced my kid (lost) 2x.
-
WinterFest 2024 Reviews
Not digging the no staggered show times at all. Feel like everything starts the same time so there’s no more “continuous entertainment” as you walk around. Also makes it really hard to see a lot in one night. Not sure where the logic is in this.
-
Winterfest 24
Why do they keep sticking that (what I would argue is best show) in the kids area where it gets drowned out. I wish they’d move it to the plaza in front of back lot, there’s seating on planters, add a few benches, leave all the lanterns above the walk from HAUNT, and put the stained glass nativity along the pathway with soft carol music. That way the show would have a defined area, and an entire “world” built around it. Maybe even do a “country church” front entrance set.
-
Six Flags and Cedar Fair Merge
With the new TV kiosk and the beverage stand leaning into the existing look of the area - I'd say Action Zone is not changing its core aesthetic. At this point I'd prefer Banshee get a retheme into something flight related (really all the tombstones can just be used as an upgrade to Haunt stuff, and the station - while halfway decent architecture - it's not something that couldn't be reworked. Lean into the "flight" look of Aeoronautica, add a few flats (that have already been designed for that) rename food and merch places and take out Amazon Falls for a "new" flight-related area. (Funny as you could rename The Bat FlightDeck and come full circle)
-
Winterfest 24
Those would get too wet, but 2 places that would be MUCH better. BEAST plaza -quiet and more set back (maybe too set back) or Stunt Coaster plaza. Could be off the main path, keep the lanterns from haunt. Add the stained glass nativity pieces along the path and be quite beautiful. Add some benches along with the planters for seating.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Discussion
Have to agree. Heading home now. Pretty busy night ride-wise as well.
-
Royal Fountain Drained
Agree. I was pleasantly surprised Sunday when I walked in and saw it.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Reviews
Sorcerers of the Kingdom was free. Agent Ps world showcase adventure, free. Yes, they added things, but they also took a lot of things that were originally free effects and monetized them.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Reviews
Which put behind a paywall a lot of the effects that used to be just part of the experience.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Reviews
KI has the blessing and the curse a lot of times of being one of the flagship “prototype” parks where a lot of event concepts are tested. Lots of times the “concept year” has tons of corporate support and resources put into it to see what works, what doesn’t, and what can be streamlined for scaling to other parks. KI having a huge local, pass holder base of customers who regularly return works against that since a large % of your base will attend the event year after year and notice the big cuts (often most from year 1-2) where other, destination type parks with a customer base on a 3-4 year cycle won’t notice that as much. Even local park management is aware and frustrated by that as it leaves them “to blame” in the years that follow when they are then charged with hitting certain budget metrics that may have been much higher during the concept roll out phase.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Reviews
True, true. And Saturday crowds proved it. Face it kids, there’s no incentive for more effort when the gate keeps spinning like that.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Reviews
When THIS is what DIY people are posting on FB Groups, KI needs to up their game a bit. Halloween has become the new Christmas, and I think places like KI are going to have to try harder to impress these days.
-
Kings Island Halloween Haunt 2024 Reviews
I makes me sad/mad when I see all of that just there… wasted most of the year, but my glimmer of hope is- since they’ve never “needed” the space it’s not been gutted and used for something dumb. Was BY FAR the best queue ever done at this park. Why could the “museum of mystery” idea even be used for a dark ride? Use the monkey room as it was before as a holding /preshow with narration about “tribal relic that brigs the museum to life”. Old pre-show room become boarding for dark ride that uses the ride building. Goes high then comes down past scenes of the museum using simple animation and projection mapping (a much simpler Mystic Manor). Unloads at the bottom of the ride building, returns to load empty. Use 3-4 car trains like a dark ride/coaster combo (like blazing Fury)
-
Kings Island General Discussion 2024
Actually Tricks and Treats is sponsored by Kroger and HERSHEY
-
Tricks And Treats Fall Fest - Weekends Sept. 26 - Nov 1, 2020
Glad to see a real world, non park scripted “review” of this. I stand a bit corrected, and am so glad these are adding value to the event, and sounds like adding to a fun time for your family.
-
Tricks And Treats Fall Fest - Weekends Sept. 26 - Nov 1, 2020
Yep. It’s just sad because year one it really felt like a park-wide event. There was an amazing menus with each location having both a treat (normal) and trick (spicy, weird, odd twist) food item. It was this crazy idea called “ thought put into an event”. Now we are basically putting the old animatronics that used to “perform” for free behind the paywall of a lantern you have to carry around.
-
Tricks And Treats Fall Fest - Weekends Sept. 26 - Nov 1, 2020
How is it possible that this event was WAY better EVEN COMING OUT OF COVID, than what we’ve got this year? Less shows, tired faded decor, way less food, and the whole thing seems WAY less “park-wide” than it did those first year or two.