Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

^^And please, KI, no train games!!! I hate it when parks manipulate their lines by taking off trains...I understand when it's legitimately dead, but there is a difference between legitimately dead and "sort of busy". KI isn't a huge offender of this, but on the flip side, how many coasters at KI actually run 3 trains? Vortex and maybe Beast.

Actually, Vortex, Beast, Adventure Express, and Backlot Stunt Coaster will run three trains under most circumstances. On extremely dead days, The Beast may run two trains as opposed to three, and sometimes Adventure Express`s third train is not on the tracks in pre and post season. But for the most part, KI will run all the trains that are possible unless there is something mechanically wrong with a train.

^ I'd like that too!

This que talk is getting me so anxious. It's making it all so real! I just keep imagining myself chatting with people in the que about the building process while my anticipation grows with each step closer to the platform. Getting that giddy feeling we had as kids riding coasters. Almost nervousness as I enter the train and then... Finally knowing if it is my new favorite. Ahhhhhh daydreaming. Oh yeah, I'm at work. Gotta go :wacko:

I was looking at where the trains will stop when coming back to the station. (I am sure there is an official name for this?)

The first would be in the station obviously, but then do you think the other two stops will be by train storage, or would the second stop be right behind the station like Vortex?

new blog post!

Diamondback ready for test runs

February 25, 2009

Winter weather, the kind that slows automobile traffic to a snail’s pace, has had little effect on construction work for Diamondback. Work crews have fought rain, snow and ice in their efforts to complete the best new roller coaster in the world for 2009.

The track and electrical work is finished. All three trains have been placed on the track. The landscaping work around the ride site has begun. It’s just a matter of days now before Kings Island’s new $22 million steel roller coaster makes its initial test runs.

“Despite the inclement weather in January and earlier this month, things have continued to move along pretty rapidly,” said Greg Scheid, Kings Island’s vice president and general manager. “We’re heading into the home stretch, and now that we are close to being finished, we’re all more excited than ever to see this ride running.”

The anticipation and excitement Diamondback is generating is a shining example of what an amusement park is about – thrills, excitement, entertainment, and just plain fun!

- Don Helbig

Actually, Vortex, Beast, Adventure Express, and Backlot Stunt Coaster will run three trains under most circumstances. On extremely dead days, The Beast may run two trains as opposed to three, and sometimes Adventure Express`s third train is not on the tracks in pre and post season. But for the most part, KI will run all the trains that are possible unless there is something mechanically wrong with a train.

Last Season, Adventure Express would only run 3 trains on the weekend. And 2 trains weekdays.

That picture of the drop makes the ride seem so small and the angle of desent not so much. One thing I wish is that Diamondback would have entered the drop alot faster than it does. Trust me I am not complaining about it but it just that picture that makes it seem small.

Yeah that is pretty unflattering pic, especially without anything to give you a size comparison.

I love seeing all of the little signs of work going on all over the place. The fences and little things like that are just as exciting as a new piece coming in because the opening is coming so fast! If you want to see a really great picture of the seats check out the KI Insider!

http://kingsislandinsider.blogspot.com/

New background and it even takes up the whole screen!

That picture of the drop makes the ride seem so small and the angle of desent not so much. One thing I wish is that Diamondback would have entered the drop alot faster than it does. Trust me I am not complaining about it but it just that picture that makes it seem small.

Yeah that is pretty unflattering pic, especially without anything to give you a size comparison.

As I've said multiple times before...drive on Perimeter Rd. at CP, get out of the car at the bottom of MF's first drop and look up...honestly, IMO, it doesn't seem to look that high or steep!! It's all about perspective...and you wonder how Hollywood makes movies and Copperfield makes things "disappear"!?

^^Aren't there rain chances tomorrow??

Yeah. It only says 30% chance tomorrow during the day but more of a chance that night. That's just what I saw.

^Sorry I posted that probably at the same time as you. :D

Water dummies are a good sign! Tomorrow should be nice too as long as the rain doesn't come in too early. That would be ideal conditions for testing (and my drivers license test!)

Good luck on your test.

Thank you!