Son of Beast

KIBOB

Personally I like my woodies a little rough. So in a way Sob's roughness doesn't botther me anymore than the Father does. I also don't think they would tear down a ride right away just because there aren't alot of people riding it. In that case AE would be gone.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't ridden this in a few years, and I rode in the front seat today and really enjoyed it. The last few times on The Beast convinced me that I really do like woodies, but I need to preferably be in the front seat, bracing and shifting my weight as necessary (that's why it's nice to see the track). Hands in the air for the 1st drop only-any more will just beat you up. Granted-I prefer the floating speed of DB-but it's a totally different feel.

I rode SOB tonight and I couldn't believe it was the same coaster.Incredibly smooth(for SOB,on par with blue Racer).I rode in the front of the blue train and had my hands up the whole ride.I later re-rode in the front of the red and that was a little bit rougher,but not back breaking rough.My lap bar was a bit looser on the blue ride and that seemed to make a difference.

I've rode it a few times this year and everytime my chest would start hurting a few seconds after first drop. By the middle of the course im asking when is it over. I like the ride just feel like i owe it my lunch money when i get off. I really dont see how older guests do it. I can barely take it and im 18 ha.

I rode SOB tonight and I couldn't believe it was the same coaster.Incredibly smooth(for SOB,on par with blue Racer).I rode in the front of the blue train and had my hands up the whole ride.I later re-rode in the front of the red and that was a little bit rougher,but not back breaking rough.My lap bar was a bit looser on the blue ride and that seemed to make a difference.

Man oh man. I feel you! I rode about 6. I rode the second to last seat on the blue train and holy crap. It was soooooo smooth!

I've never thought it was that rough, but it does seem quite a bit smoother this year.

Also you don't feel roughness as bad if you don't pin yourself in the seat, tighten you abs so you aren't thrown around as much. I finally got my wife to stop pinning herself this year and for the first time ever she'll ride in the back of the train on all coasters.

• 1 year later...

For those who get excited when they read something on Screamscape, quoted without comment:

Kings Island--Son of Beast May Be Doomed

Son of Beast Status - Closed Until Further Notice - (6/30/10) A not so good rumor floated my way this week regarding the fate of Son of Beast. According to the source, Cedar Fair officials are said to have weighed their options on fixing the coaster against the cost and benefits of doing so and the view wasn’t good at all. While it certainly may be possible to fix and make the ride enjoyable, the cost involved as well as the cost of the PR campaign needed to turn around the notoriously bad reputation of the ride was deemed to be cost prohibitive. If true, we will likely never seen SOB ride again.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

But, is that record actually attracting new people to the park? They barely mention it anymore.

What motivation does the park have to mention it? The ride is closed.

"Come to Kings Island and look at the tallest and fastest wooden coaster!"

More like: "Come to Kings Island and look at the tallest and fastest toothpick dispenser!" Will turn out to be like Wall Drug.wink.gif

More like: "Come to Kings Island and look at the tallest and fastest toothpick dispenser!" Will turn out to be like Wall Drug.wink.gif

Oh god. Wall Drug is hilarious. (Although, KI and Wall Drug DO share one thing in common... free ice water!)

Here's the thought I think would go into SoB's fate:

Q: Is it attracting new guests to the park?

A: Probably not. I haven't heard anyone who isn't going just because it's closed, aside from empty threats on here. If it is attracting enthusiasts who want to ride it because it's tallest/fastest, they probably have a platinum pass anyway, and enthusiasts (as can be seen on here) don't like to buy food at the park.

Q: Would a fix definitely work?

A: It might, but is it worth the risk of it not working and wasting all that money? I doubt all the other times they fixed the ride weren't meant to permanently fix the ride...

Q: Would a fix make the GP feel better about the ride?

A: Likely not. SoB already has a horrid reputation with many people, and many of them might not trust the ride again.

^ coming from the associate who does NOT work in AZ or overhear convos about SOB everyday.

I have been sweeping in Action Zone for the last 2 weeks, and can not tell you how many times I had a conversation with guests who, feel SOB should be open and want to ride it. Many never knew it has been closed. Not even joking Out of all the questions and conversations I have had these last 2 weeks, more than 95% have been about Son of Beast ion one way.

And yes I have talked to people who hate it, but they haven been largely dominated by the numbers wanting to ride it.

An announcment of SoB being closed for 2010 was made back in mid-March.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2010/03/kings_island_hopeful_new_owner_or_not.html

What is clear is that Son of Beast, closing in on a $30 million investment, will remain closed for the foreseeable future, said Scheid. An accident July 9, 2006, injured 28 people when a timber on the roller coaster’s frame snapped. The coaster was considered the largest, tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in the world.

“Eight days after I took over, the accident occurred,” said Scheid. “We have struggled with it ever since. We have smoothed out the ride. Most people will say they are comfortable with the ride, but I am not comfortable with the ride.”

Given this information, what else is expected?

Sure, CF could announce that the ride is being torn down. People will then second guess that decision as too hasty and not enough time was given for more re-engineering ideas.

Or CF could say the ride will re-open as is. Some will be happy that the ride is operating again. That is, until another guest gets injured. Then people will second guess not only the guest's injury but why CF did nothing to improve the ride.

And also, CF could put in more money to improve the ride again. If those improvements arn't good enough, people will second guess the amount of money spent was not enough, and others will second guess why the money spent at all.

And lastly, CF puts in millions more into a ride that has a black eye, and will very likely always have a black eye no matter if the re-engineering actually works or not.

Given any of those scenarios, CF is doomed for failure. So exactly what motivation does CF really have making another announcement?

And yes I have talked to people who hate it, but they haven been largely dominated by the numbers wanting to ride it.

This is not surprising.

Those who want to ride it would certainly dominate the numbers, as those who don't care to ride it have no reason to say anything and just keep walking to another ride.

^ Or CF renovates the coaster, fixes it permanently and is known as the company that resurrected and saved SoB.

Yeah.

Jason Voorhees was resurrected in 'Friday the 13th pt. 6' and still went on killing unsuspecting teens at Camp Crystal Lake.

I'm not sure CF wants to be in the same catagory as Tommy Jarvis. wink.gif