Son of Beast gone, Yes or No?

Beast1979

Do I want it gone? Yes.

Do I think it will be going anywhere? No.

Ditto. yeah it'd be sad to see it go.. but i think the bonfire for the weenie roast would make 10 times better use for it O:)

Haha, yeah! But can you imagine how many hot dogs/marshmallows we'd go through before the fire went out? o.O

No, I don't want Son of Beast gone, and no, I don't think it will be gone in the next five years for two reasons:

1. ACE will try to save it since it is wooden and helped to break numerous records.

2. Just because a coaster is rough doesn't mean that it will get torn down. Rolling Thunder, Blue Racer, and Mean Streak are all rough and they're not bonfire status yet. Heck, Texas Giant is getting an overhaul, and my brother, who rode it while he lived in Texas, thought it was WORSE than Son of Beast in terms of roughness.

I'm one of the few people that will defend this ride 'til the very end if it is decided that the ride will be no more. Personally, I'd rather ride it than ride things like Backlot Stunt Coaster, Blue Racer, Adventure Express, or Vortex. It's my second favorite wooden coaster both at Kings Island and overall, (It actually becomes #1 if The Beast's trims are on. :angry: ) and I SERIOUSLY doubt it's going anywhere soon. I'd miss it almost as much as I do King Cobra.

No, I don't want Son of Beast gone, and no, I don't think it will be gone in the next five years for two reasons:

1. ACE will try to save it since it is wooden and helped to break numerous records.

2. Just because a coaster is rough doesn't mean that it will get torn down. Rolling Thunder, Blue Racer, and Mean Streak are all rough and they're not bonfire status yet. Heck, Texas Giant is getting an overhaul, and my brother, who rode it while he lived in Texas, thought it was WORSE than Son of Beast in terms of roughness.

I'm one of the few people that will defend this ride 'til the very end if it is decided that the ride will be no more. Personally, I'd rather ride it than ride things like Backlot Stunt Coaster, Blue Racer, Adventure Express, or Vortex. It's my second favorite wooden coaster both at Kings Island and overall, (It actually becomes #1 if The Beast's trims are on. :angry: ) and I SERIOUSLY doubt it's going anywhere soon. I'd miss it almost as much as I do King Cobra.

I'm not sure about ACErs defending it. They are the ones who wanted the tallest, fastest, and only looping wooden coaster than they got it and didn't like it. So I think they will probably not defend it. And thank god I found another SOB Fan! Your awesome!

I'm not sure about ACErs defending it. They are the ones who wanted the tallest, fastest, and only looping wooden coaster than they got it and didn't like it. So I think they will probably not defend it. And thank god I found another SOB Fan! Your awesome!

I hope they would, but who knows? I just hope if The Big Dipper gets into more trouble than it's already in then ACE defends it before Son of Beast (If it needs it.).

Thanks for the gift of awesomeness and no problem on being a Son of Beast fan. I've liked it ever since I rode it for the first time in its opening season when it had its loop (after waiting 2 hours to ride it, mind you). If I ever see that we're at the park on the same day on here I'll PM you my cell phone number so I can contact you and we can ride it together (If it's up and running.). Maybe all us KIC'ers who like Son of Beast should band together and just ride it over and over one day if this current problem gets resolved.

I hope they would, but who knows? I just hope if The Big Dipper gets into more trouble than it's already in then ACE defends it before Son of Beast (If it needs it.).

Thanks for the gift of awesomeness and no problem on being a Son of Beast fan. I've liked it ever since I rode it for the first time in its opening season when it had its loop (after waiting 2 hours to ride it, mind you). If I ever see that we're at the park on the same day on here I'll PM you my cell phone number so I can contact you and we can ride it together (If it's up and running.). Maybe all us KIC'ers who like Son of Beast should band together and just ride it over and over one day if this current problem gets resolved.

Awesome, sounds good! We need to make a list of all of them who like SOB.

Kat, Adam, and I had a talk about this today. What we think is that they might either be re-tracking it, or putting on some new trains. Adam has herd several stories about SoB, but that's what we think.

If this is what they are doing, then I will give it another chance. I will ride it however your supposed to with an open mind, trying to give it a chance. Son of Beast could become a good ride if they give it the proper overhaul.

Speaking of which, does anyone here think Mean Streak is smoother this year?

Do I want it gone? Yes.

Do I think it will be going anywhere? No.

Ditto. yeah it'd be sad to see it go.. but i think the bonfire for the weenie roast would make 10 times better use for it O:)

Haha, yeah! But can you imagine how many hot dogs/marshmallows we'd go through before the fire went out? o.O

Then none of you can fit on Diamondback and will make the line shorter for me

Maybe all us KIC'ers who like Son of Beast should band together and just ride it over and over one day if this current problem gets resolved.

Great Idea. I am all for this.

Kat, Adam, and I had a talk about this today. What we think is that they might either be re-tracking it, or putting on some new trains. Adam has herd several stories about SoB, but that's what we think.

If this is what they are doing, then I will give it another chance. I will ride it however your supposed to with an open mind, trying to give it a chance. Son of Beast could become a good ride if they give it the proper overhaul.

Yes

Sorry I could not resist

I don't think it will be removed in the next 5 Years, and I hope it doesn't. I love Son of Beast, it's one of my favorite Coasters at KI. The helices are forceful and twice as good as Beast's (Which is amazing though.) All you people who are saying they want SOB to be removed, do you consider yourself a Coaster Enthusiast? No Coaster Enthusiast would want to See a Coaster removed. Sure they may not like it alot, but if your an enthusiast, Than It's not all about how it rides. You love seeing it in the skyline when you approach the park. You love being in Action Zone and hears it's roar, and hear the Anti Roll Back System. Take Backlot for example. It's my least favorite Coaster at KI (I'm not counting Lil Bill and Reptar.) But I love Being on the Eiffel Tower and hearing the noises it makes, sure it ruins the atmosphere and It replaced two awesome rides I'd much rather have. But I wouldn't want to see it be removed, Because I love hearing it.

And Son of Beast is NOT horribly painful. If you can't handle the tiny bit of pain it has, how do you ride other Coasters? And if you want an even smoother ride, sit in front, and don't lean back against the seat. And Some people have said "It's bad if you have to ride a certain way to ride a Coaster." Well on Vortex, to have an extra good ride you sit in 7-1 and have your OTSR lose. On Racer and Beast you don't sit on a wheel. On Diamondback you sit in the very front or towards the back for a certain kind of airtime. On Top Gun you sit in the front so you swing more. See, on just about every coaster there is a certain way and seat to ride to provide a better ride.

I'm sorry, I disagree. I can ride Beast all day long and actually feel better-I have arthritis-there is truth to what Ms. Voss said. I go on Son and come off in terrible pain. It is not an enjoyable coaster by any means.

Although I'm not really a fan of SOB anymore (it was one of my favorites with the old cars and the loop), I don't want to see it gone and I don't think it will be removed within the next 5 years. KI is still quite proud of that ride, despite its problems. I doubt they'd remove it unless there were a really good reason (maintenance costs, etc.)

I have been on many different wooden coasters... IMO SOB is the worst one have ridden. Nothing is fun about it. When it had the loop it was just ok.

Sure its the tallest and fastest, but that does not translate into fun! It beats the living hell out of you!

If any of you have the means drive to Holiday World and ride theirs. The Voyage beats the hell out of ya but it is the most insane thing i have ever ridden.

I do not wanna see any coaster torn down, but there is just too much going against this ride... Think of what KI could do in the space that would be freed up... How about a dueling GCI? Gravity Group? Anything they would put in would be an upgrade to SOB.

If they tear down SOB, I see it being a couple years before they put something in its place, though.

I REALLY hope they're retracking and/or getting new trains for SOB. If they do, I will try riding it finally. Even if they don't, I will consider riding it.

You guys recommend blue train, front seat, right? I hope they don't tear it down.

I do not understand the "it hurts so I won't ride it" excuse. It's a wooden coaster that goes extremely fast and is extremely tall. Of course it will be a bit rough. But that doesn't mean it's not fun. I don't see how you guys think it will be gone in the next five years. I don't see it happening. It is probably my second favorite coaster behind Diamondback, and if it is taken out, my visits to KI will decrease heavily.

Yes it is fun while you're on it, but, if you leave the ride with a headache that takes the enjoyment out of other rides, then I consider it not worth it. 

I don't think it will be removed in the next 5 Years, and I hope it doesn't. I love Son of Beast, it's one of my favorite Coasters at KI. The helices are forceful and twice as good as Beast's (Which is amazing though.) All you people who are saying they want SOB to be removed, do you consider yourself a Coaster Enthusiast? No Coaster Enthusiast would want to See a Coaster removed. Sure they may not like it alot, but if your an enthusiast, Than It's not all about how it rides. You love seeing it in the skyline when you approach the park. You love being in Action Zone and hears it's roar, and hear the Anti Roll Back System. Take Backlot for example. It's my least favorite Coaster at KI (I'm not counting Lil Bill and Reptar.) But I love Being on the Eiffel Tower and hearing the noises it makes, sure it ruins the atmosphere and It replaced two awesome rides I'd much rather have. But I wouldn't want to see it be removed, Because I love hearing it.

And Son of Beast is NOT horribly painful. If you can't handle the tiny bit of pain it has, how do you ride other Coasters? And if you want an even smoother ride, sit in front, and don't lean back against the seat. And Some people have said "It's bad if you have to ride a certain way to ride a Coaster." Well on Vortex, to have an extra good ride you sit in 7-1 and have your OTSR lose. On Racer and Beast you don't sit on a wheel. On Diamondback you sit in the very front or towards the back for a certain kind of airtime. On Top Gun you sit in the front so you swing more. See, on just about every coaster there is a certain way and seat to ride to provide a better ride.

I totally agree! Why would any coaster enthusiest want a coaster removed? I dislike Firehawk, because in my opinion it's a boring ride with a really long wait time. So why would I waste my time on it. However, I would never want it removed, because I know other people enjoy it, and it adds a lot to the X-Base area. Just because I don't ride Firehawk doesn't mean I would want it gone becasue it adds to the parks atmosphere.

Back to SoB, I rode towards the back of Son of Beast this year, and it wasn't bad at all. I wasn't "in horrible pain". I enjoyed the ride back there! Riding towards the front can make it much smoother, but it's not "required to have an enjoyable ride". Son of Beast is one of the most thrilling rides in the park. I have a lot of GP family and friends, and most of them enjoy Son of Beast, so it's not just a select few coaster enthusiests that like it. Son of Beast is special to me. It was my first inverting coaster back when it very first opened. Son of Best helped to turn me into the coaster enthusiest I am today.

I rode Mean Streak early this year and thought it was very smooth. It was extremly rough and hurt last year. In my opinion, it got neutered because this year there are multiple trim breaks down the first hill, and through the ride that I do not remember being there last year.

SOB needs foam seats like The Beast has.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think that it will leave. Structural changes...maybe, but removal......i just cant see it happening. Just imagine how much it would cost to safely dismantle Mt. Pinewood. What would they even do with all of that lumber? :huh:

I dont think that it will leave. Structural changes...maybe, but removal......i just cant see it happening. Just imagine how much it would cost to safely dismantle Mt. Pinewood. What would they even do with all of that lumber? :huh:

Yet again,

Who's saying they have to remove it?

Yet again,

Ever heard of Standing But Not Operating? SBNO?

Jackson, who wonders why he's bothering...

No and No. I've ridden it once and didn't care for it personally but it is an amazing accomplishment which holds records and is well liked by many. Removing it would be costly and SBNO... sorry standing but not operating is very painful for guests who like the ride and would chip away at over all guest satisfaction. My guess is they will leave it down awhile to allow for overly thorough inspections and possible modifications and a good faith effort to show that they are doing all they can to ensure rider safety. Then voila, I'll be riding it again to see if I like it any better.

Yet, Raptor's complaint is from a teenager who felt faint after riding it. Shoot, I feel faint sometimes after standing up to fast. Raptor could be open again, because it wasn't an injury. Its obvious that something is going to stay closed longer after a rider has head trauma compared to a "I feel faint" complaint.

100th Post! :D

In light of the recent news of Son of Beast's closure, possibly for a long period of time, I wanted to get this poll in to see where everyone stands on this. McSalsa's poll on Son of Beast focused more on ratings, this is more pass-fail type.

From posts in the topic it would seem there is more Son of Beast lovers then haters, although a lot of people I talk to do not like it at all, so I just want to get solid numbers in.

I'd like to see more break-down of these polls by age and gender. For example, I find many Son of Beast haters who admit to horrible experiences are adults like me both male and female. It seems like most of the Son of Beast lovers are teenage males. Is this true or is it just my imagination?